• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could pick one 1980s cover....

80s cover you would take  

264 members have voted

1. 1. 80s cover you would take

75 posts in this topic

i went with DKR #2 over DKR #1 in which i was going to pick, you don't see shirts of DKR #1 around, so hence i picked DKR #2. (worship) i can't believe TMNT #1 is in the lead when it's a cover swipe of ronin #1. :screwy:

hm

tmnt1cover.jpg

hm

Ronin1.jpg

(tsk)

Are you saying Miller owns all shades of red or that he invented cross hatch pencilling? Because I am not seeing a swipe here otherwise.

(shrug)

have you ever read the inside cover to TMNT #1? eastman and laird dedicated TMNT #1 to frank miller. :gossip: imitation is the biggest form of flattery. :preach:

wasn't it dedicated to both frank miller and jack kirby?

--geeky trivia police

Yes!

insidefrontcover-1.jpg

i went with DKR #2 over DKR #1 in which i was going to pick, you don't see shirts of DKR #1 around, so hence i picked DKR #2. (worship) i can't believe TMNT #1 is in the lead when it's a cover swipe of ronin #1. :screwy:

hm

tmnt1cover.jpg

hm

Ronin1.jpg

(tsk)

Are you saying Miller owns all shades of red or that he invented cross hatch pencilling? Because I am not seeing a swipe here otherwise.

(shrug)

have you ever read the inside cover to TMNT #1? eastman and laird dedicated TMNT #1 to frank miller. :gossip: imitation is the biggest form of flattery. :preach:

wasn't it dedicated to both frank miller and jack kirby?

--geeky trivia police

Yes, but dedicated to and swiped from are different especially in this instance.

All we have is a somewhat red color and the cross hatched lines, the characters, the number of figures, the pose, the setting are all different. It might be dedicated but it's not a swipe..

This is a swipe...

Action+Comics+%231.jpg

amazing_spiderman306.gif

No one's ever disputed that TMNT was a take-off of aspects of Miller's DD storyline, or that the cover of #1 was deliberately intended to evoke Miller's style in Ronin. The format and lettering of the cover make that clear. But that's not the same thing as saying it swiped the cover of Ronin #1.

no no our signals are crossed here :) you said "bronze sandman 1". There is no such thing as a bronze sandman 1 published in the 80s.... hence my confusion.

Naturally you meant the 89 sandman 1, which is a good choice (certainly far better than the 70s one :) )

aha! I must have been sleepy, or drunk, or both, or something. :)

show me a list of 25 that makes everyone happy and I'll crown you king of comic land :) crisis never did anything for me although I can understand why people like it a lot