• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could pick one 1980s cover....

80s cover you would take  

264 members have voted

1. 1. 80s cover you would take

75 posts in this topic

From that list, my top three would be KJ, MM 15 and XMen 141. However, my most memorable cover is Crisis 8 (Death of Flash), which is not on the list. Happy to say that I own my favorite 80s cover.

On the list: DKR #1, KJ toss up with TMNT #1 close behind

Not on list: DKR #4 and Punisher LS #3, Justice League #1

More "realistic" wants :Suicide Squad Cover #1, Batman Cult cover #1,

It's an amazing cover. I almost picked it but thought the #2 original would have more impact in person.

You can't go wrong with either one. The #1 is an image burned into everyone's brain and was such a different, outside of the box cover for the time. The #2 maybe even more so with the signature line work and the way the page can barely contain batman.

The KJ cover I loved at the time, and still do... but it hasn't stood the test of time as well, to me, as something like DKR2. When I look at the KJ cover now all I see is joker with a camera... sure its also an image burned into my brain but not the most dynamic or exciting image either I would say. I dunno.

From that list, my top three would be KJ, MM 15 and XMen 141. However, my most memorable cover is Crisis 8 (Death of Flash), which is not on the list. Happy to say that I own my favorite 80s cover.

(thumbs u

out of that list I went with Killing Joke. Out of any bronze cover... Maybe Sandman #1

You mean 80s sandman 1 right? I think of that as post bronze. If you mean 70s kirby sandman 1, the mods will be notified to arrange an immediate ban! :screwy::)

#2 is the first cover to the series I remember seeing. It definitely left a lasting impression as well.

I've never seen the original art to either, so there's that possibility that #2 would look better than #1, as #1 would be pretty minimal; the inked silhoutte on a white page (is the lighting bolt even on the OA or was that added in the coloring process?).

Something I didn't consider when I made my first post.

Just based it on my opinion that it's the best Copper cover (and the best Batman cover to boot).

out of that list I went with Killing Joke. Out of any bronze cover... Maybe Sandman #1

You mean 80s sandman 1 right? I think of that as post bronze. If you mean 70s kirby sandman 1, the mods will be notified to arrange an immediate ban! :screwy::)

I just saw 80's, so I went for it. It was 1989 so I figured it counted. :)

no no our signals are crossed here :) you said "bronze sandman 1". There is no such thing as a bronze sandman 1 published in the 80s.... hence my confusion.

Naturally you meant the 89 sandman 1, which is a good choice (certainly far better than the 70s one :) )

i went with DKR #2 over DKR #1 in which i was going to pick, you don't see shirts of DKR #1 around, so hence i picked DKR #2. (worship) i can't believe TMNT #1 is in the lead when it's a cover swipe of ronin #1. :screwy:

well its the most valuable book of the 80s so its an easy pick in many ways. A cover to an incredible book... but not the best cover IMO. I like the #2 cover much better. Maybe I should have included that as a choice.

And Cerebus 4 deserved some attention to. I mean twenty years later that cover still cracks me up.

i went with DKR #2 over DKR #1 in which i was going to pick, you don't see shirts of DKR #1 around, so hence i picked DKR #2. (worship) i can't believe TMNT #1 is in the lead when it's a cover swipe of ronin #1. :screwy:

hm

tmnt1cover.jpg

hm

Ronin1.jpg

(tsk)

Are you saying Miller owns all shades of red or that he invented cross hatch pencilling? Because I am not seeing a swipe here otherwise.

(shrug)

hm

tmnt1cover.jpg

hm

Ronin1.jpg

(tsk)

Are you saying Miller owns all shades of red or that he invented cross hatch pencilling? Because I am not seeing a swipe here otherwise.

(shrug)

have you ever read the inside cover to TMNT #1? eastman and laird dedicated TMNT #1 to frank miller. :gossip: imitation is the biggest form of flattery. :preach:

hm

tmnt1cover.jpg

hm

Ronin1.jpg

(tsk)

(shrug)

have you ever read the inside cover to TMNT #1? eastman and laird dedicated TMNT #1 to frank miller. :gossip: imitation is the biggest form of flattery. :preach:

wasn't it dedicated to both frank miller and jack kirby?

--geeky trivia police

"well its the most valuable book of the 80s" Hold on a sec.....are u saying that TMNT book art is more valuable than lets say The Entire Brian Bolland Killing Joke or the Entire Frank Miller Dark Knight Art, or are u saying the comic book is more valuable.