• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could pick one 1970s cover....

the 1970s cover you would take  

225 members have voted

1. 1. the 1970s cover you would take

57 posts in this topic

I enjoyed doing the 80s one so much I thought I'd try 70s as well. So.........

money aside - if you could have the cover to any 1970s comic book, what would it be?

Having weighed all the pros and cons... I would have to say.. Hulk 181... but ASM 129 and Tec 400 and GL 76 and Spotlight 5... jeez there's a lot of choices lol would be honorary mentions.

-------

I'm sure I'm missing a lot of good candidates but I've just done 25 off the top of my head.... write in votes and/or comments are welcome

Iron Man #128 was my pick here. It has a very visceral feeling to the image, that just doesn't speak to the problems of supder-heroes, but of all human beings. It is an image that stretches beyond just being another exciting comic cover, and really has a meaning and message to impart.

I would have to take GS X-men #1 for it's place in the history of comics.

If it was just for the image and how the art moved me it would be Swamp Thing #9

300px-Swamp_Thing_v.1_9.jpg

I thought the cover WAS around and that it was just the interiors that got fried up? I don't know anything about it, just thought I recalled that from the recent discussion

I picked X-Men 112 because it was the first comic book I bought and paid for as a 7 year old kid, so the nostalgia / sentimental value on that book is huge for me personally.

Close 2nd would be Daredevil 158 because of remembering how cool I thought that issue was, even if the subject matter wasn't probably targetted for 7 year olds. lol:)

Honorable mention for one not mentioned: Avengers 161

Would be cool to rank these from 1-25 and have the honorable mentions. Next time!

Later.

-Will

I picked X-Men #94. I really don't understand why people hate on this cover so much (I'd pick it every day over the GSXM 1 cover) - it is one of the most dramatic comic book covers ever, IMO. It would probably be my favorite X-Men cover even if it wasn't a key. The only hesitation I would have about picking the original cover art is that the spectacularly distinctive grayish-green background color would be missing - it absolutely makes the published cover. :luhv:

My favorite pen & ink cover of the 1970s, though, would be BWS's spectacular Conan #24 cover (my favorite Marvel cover ever), which was glaringly omitted from the list of choices. :mad:

I picked X-Men 112 because it was the first comic book I bought and paid for as a 7 year old kid, so the nostalgia / sentimental value on that book is huge for me personally.

Close 2nd would be Daredevil 158 because of remembering how cool I thought that issue was, even if the subject matter wasn't probably targetted for 7 year olds. lol:)

Honorable mention for one not mentioned: Avengers 161

Would be cool to rank these from 1-25 and have the honorable mentions. Next time!

Later.

-Will

yeah we should try that too... maybe in a week or so!

I enjoyed doing the 80s one so much I thought I'd try 70s as well. So.........

money aside - if you could have the cover to any 1970s comic book, what would it be?

Having weighed all the pros and cons... I would have to say.. Hulk 181... but ASM 129 and Tec 400 and GL 76 and Spotlight 5... jeez there's a lot of choices lol would be honorary mentions.

-------

I'm sure I'm missing a lot of good candidates but I've just done 25 off the top of my head.... write in votes and/or comments are welcome

What's the basis for picking? Historical significance? Nostalgic significance? Artistic merit? Value that I could immediately sell it for?

If it's a combination of all of the above, then the clear hands down winner for me is GL #76.