• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More eBay changes...

37 posts in this topic

...how do we feel about this one...

Optional buyer charges for shipping insurance removed: The insurance option creates the perception that buyers need to purchase shipping insurance as a protection on eBay, an experience they're not accustomed to on other ecommerce sites. In fact, sellers have always been responsible for their items until they arrive safely in their customers' hands. That's why shipping insurance will no longer be included in the purchase flow as either an option or requirement for buyers.

Of course you can choose to purchase insurance on shipments, but not ask buyers to buy insurance separately. In some categories like Antiques, Collectibles, and Jewelry, shipping insurance for sellers is essential. When appropriate, you can include the cost of insurance in your item or shipping price.

So eBay expects sellers to be fully responsible for an item even when it gets shipped and they have no control over what happens to it when it leaves their hands?

:screwy:

:roflmao:

Yeah. That makes a lot of sense.

Funny, with eBay (and Paypal) I thought it was up until the Seller shipped the item, not up until it arrived safely. If you showed a tracking # that showed it shipped, that's all you needed to worry about as a Seller. This states differently.

Appears from the second paragraph that this doesn't apply to collectibles though. But I get the idea that you should include insurance on all from now on and include the price in the shipping fees.

So eBay expects sellers to be fully responsible for an item even when it gets shipped and they have no control over what happens to it when it leaves their hands?

They always have.

And when they bought Paypal, they were able to enforce it.

I know this is news and shocking to the vast majority of sellers, but their responsibility has NEVER, EVER ended "once they hand the package over."

It's actually a good policy. Buyers have zero control over how an item is shipped and who the carrier will be. It is the seller who contracts with the carrier to provide the service for them, and the seller who therefore needs to ensure that the carrier does the job correctly (which concept has been totally lost for a very long time.)

This whole "once it leaves my hands, I'm not responsible for it" nonsense has become damn near institutionalized...and yet, it's never, ever, ever been true, in any sense, legal or otherwise. That would be like me hiring an electrical subcontractor, and then telling my customer, the property owner, "sorry, once I hired that sub and left the jobsite, I was no longer responsible."

Yeah. THAT'LL fly in court.

lol

Forcing sellers to accept the responsibility they have always had is not a bad thing. The amount of times I wish I could have packed books myself....

...well, let's just say, it would have saved sellers their money.

This makes perfect sense, and I agree completely with ebay's comments there.

Of COURSE it's the seller's responsibility to get the item safely delivered. If you bought a hi-fi from Amazon and it turned up smashed to bits, would you say "Oh fair enough, I didn't pay extra for shipping insurance after all, guess I'll just have to swallow that one."

Insurance is an option for sellers to protect their own interests. Always has been.

Funny, with eBay (and Paypal) I thought it was up until the Seller shipped the item, not up until it arrived safely. If you showed a tracking # that showed it shipped, that's all you needed to worry about as a Seller. This states differently.

Also not true.

If the item is shipped, but never arrives, the seller will be held responsible. It is only if the item is shown as delivered that the seller is released of that particular responsibility.

This makes perfect sense, and I agree completely with ebay's comments there.

Of COURSE it's the seller's responsibility to get the item safely delivered. If you bought a hi-fi from Amazon and it turned up smashed to bits, would you say "Oh fair enough, I didn't pay extra for shipping insurance after all, guess I'll just have to swallow that one."

Insurance is an option for sellers to protect their own interests. Always has been.

(thumbs u

If more sellers had been educated a long time ago about their responsibility to ship an item SAFELY, I think a lot of damaged books would have been avoided in the past 10 years or so.

Suffice it to say, the days of buying a "mint" comic, and paying fair market for it as such, and then having the seller ship it bare in a manila envelope, and then claiming "NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY!!!!" when the item shows up no better than VG may be numbered. Insurance has NEVER covered such an event anyways.

Obviously, the vast, vast, vast majority of SNAD (significantly not as described) claims have been filed in Collectibles, which has prompted eBay's response.

They always have.

I know this is news and shocking to the vast majority of sellers, but their responsibility has NEVER, EVER ended "once they hand the package over."

It's actually a good policy. Buyers have zero control over how an item is shipped and who the carrier will be. It is the seller who contracts with the carrier to provide the service for them, and the seller who therefore needs to ensure that the carrier does the job correctly (which concept has been totally lost for a very long time.)

This whole "once it leaves my hands, I'm not responsible for it" nonsense has become damn near institutionalized...and yet, it's never, ever, ever been true, in any sense, legal or otherwise. That would be like me hiring an electrical subcontractor, and then telling my customer, the property owner, "sorry, once I hired that sub and left the jobsite, I was no longer responsible."

lol

Forcing sellers to accept the responsibility they have always had is not a bad thing. The amount of times I wish I could have packed books myself....

Beat me to it (thumbs u

I've said it a thousand times before, and I'm sure I'll say it a thousand times more:

Insurance is there to protect the SELLER...

...not the BUYER.

The buyer has his/her own levels and layers or protection.

Heritage's terms and conditions state that once an item is delivered to the shipper, they are no longer responsible for loss or damage. Basically, what they are saying is that they could put a comic book into a paper bag and mail it out, and any damage isn't their responsibility. Also, for the exorbitant $26.50 they charge for shipping, insurance is not included. I recommend that anyone who buys from them request insurance.

Heritage's terms and conditions state that once an item is delivered to the shipper, they are no longer responsible for loss or damage. Basically, what they are saying is that they could put a comic book into a paper bag and mail it out, and any damage isn't their responsibility. Also, for the exorbitant $26.50 they charge for shipping, insurance is not included. I recommend that anyone who buys from them request insurance.

Where is the destination that Heritage is charging $26.50, as the most I have ever paid for a single book is $8?

Not defending them - just wondering if this was a mixup on their part what was charged for shipping, or was this to Canada and Heritage was trying to rush the book out and went Priority.

We need a low-cost strong alternative to eBay. I heard someone was working on this. hm

We need a low-cost strong alternative to eBay. I heard someone was working on this. hm

I heard Apple is working on an auction site for the iphone called i-auction.

"Delivered" means delivered! Do you mean shipped?

Whatever, I'm sure Heritage don't think that their responsibility ends at shipping. Or if they do, they are sorely mistaken!

I've always added insurance if someone decided to opt out, on anything over $50, then I finally just purchased private insurance that covers my collection and it covers me for items $50 to $200 if I sell on Ebay (or here) for over the $200, I only need to pay for $100 of insurance and signature confirmation for insurance up to $2000. This is only for comics, when I sell glass (not lately), I insure everything.

I insure for me, I don't want problems.NOT that I love Ebay's newest change, I don't.

I insure for me, I don't want problems.NOT that I love Ebay's newest change, I don't.

Same here, Sharon. If a book sells for $50 or greater, I'd lean towards buying insurance just to protect myself.

They always have.

lol

:applause: Well said.

As a seller I always take responsibility for an item showing up at someone's door. If it does not, I refund their money. I expect the same treatment when I buy something.