• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The OFFICIAL $100,000+ Auction & Sales Thread

149 posts in this topic

1st Appearance of the Flagship Title of Marvel Comics. I think people underestimate this all the time.

1st issue of arguably Marvel's most popular title/character--works for me :shrug:

You appear to have this issue confused with Amazing Fantasy 15. :baiting:

:makepoint: Read carefully! 1st appearance of the flagship title ;) To be fair though, I shouldn't have included the /character which I did BECAUSE it is his very own title--Amazing Fantasy was a test shot for him. :foryou:

Look, it's cool--I know there are others who don't want to see this issue be what it is. But the numbers and the demand show otherwise: it IS a heavyweight and regardless, the facts show this to be true. After all,a book doesn't have to be a first appearance of a character in something in order to be a key.

I know I sure want one. I LOVE the Ditko on Kirby cover and the 12 cent circle web-all-over'the-corner logo. As far as a thread about 100 K books....sounds cool. Maybe someone could start one that people add to like the " Class of..." thread going on now...for reference and posterity...preferably with times and places. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I guess Superman #1 shouldn't be worth much considering it isn't his first appearance--heck! Not even his 2nd or 3rd appearance.

It's worse than that! It's ENTIRELY a reprint. Value is completely due to the number on the front cover. :screwy:

We had a huge discussion on Supes #1 in the GA section last year. Many people think that the book is much more important than just being a collection of reprints, hence it's desirability.

I see the first issue in an ongoing title as an important thing especially for a title like Superman or Spider-man because it really is the "first appearance that should have been".

Anyhow, to each his own. I'm not that wowed by Spidey and even less by ASM #1 but I do think it's an important book.

I guess Superman #1 shouldn't be worth much considering it isn't his first appearance--heck! Not even his 2nd or 3rd appearance.

It's worse than that! It's ENTIRELY a reprint. Value is completely due to the number on the front cover. :screwy:

We had a huge discussion on Supes #1 in the GA section last year. Many people think that the book is much more important than just being a collection of reprints, hence it's desirability.

I see the first issue in an ongoing title as an important thing especially for a title like Superman or Spider-man because it really is the "first appearance that should have been".

Anyhow, to each his own. I'm not that wowed by Spidey and even less by ASM #1 but I do think it's an important book.

Whoa! ??? I didn't mean for this thread to become whether a particular book has the merits or should be a particular value or is better than another?!

I am just fascinated by the market values achieved these days and thought breaking the $100k milestone was thread worthy.

...but I enjoy the conversation none the less!...

Whoa! ??? I didn't mean for this thread to become whether a particular book has the merits or should be a particular value or is better than another?!

I am just fascinated by the market values achieved these days and thought breaking the $100k milestone was thread worthy.

The discussion of the merits of these books is quite relevant though as clearly a number of people out there find these issues valuable enough to push them through the $100k barrier. (thumbs u

That's basically what I was getting at with my earlier post about one thread maybe not being enough to contain the discussion these big books generate. We had what seemed like a dozen threads about the comic connect Action #1.

We can pick these things apart :)

Here is a look at some of the => 100K sales that I've tracked over the years.

over100k.gif

Why do so many of the books seems to have the same selling price? Seems a little odd.

4 of the books each sold for $126,500

2 of the books each sold for $120,750

3 of the books each sold for $116,512.50 (I think 1 of these Action #1's is actually just a duplicate entry)

2 of the books each sold for $107,550

Put me down for one of those who believe Superman #1 has huge historical significance, but I believe that a big part of its value is driven by its scarcity in unrestored condition. I think if it were as common as Batman #1 or Marvel Comics #1 in unrestored condition, particularly above low grade, its value would be significantly lower.

over100k.gif

Good list. But you're missing the 2 AF 15 sales on CL over $200K, and the 9.4 Showcase #4 that sold on CC, for $159K if I remember correctly.

over100k.gif

Good list. But you're missing the 2 AF 15 sales on CL over $200K, and the 9.4 Showcase #4 that sold on CC, for $159K if I remember correctly.

Afew others....FF 1 ,9.4...110 K, FF1 ,9.6...175 K PLUS TRADE, Several ASM 1 ,9.6....100 K +, AF 15, 8.5...168 K, and didn't the 9.6 JLA 1 break 100 K ? We probably should try to put a list together as some of the info is not readily accessable and could be lost. GOD BLESS...

over100k.gif

Why do so many of the books seems to have the same selling price? Seems a little odd.

3 of the books each sold for $116,512.50 (I think 1 of these Action #1's is actually just a duplicate entry)

Yah 1 of those Actions is a duplicate in the data. Also these all represent Heritage Auctions over the years. It does seem weird that there are similiar prices, but all in all it may have been 2 big pockets, one of which had an astronomical bid, and the other who capped them at a certain price for all their bids. It's not so odd if you think about that as a possibility.

- bounty

over100k.gif

Yah 1 of those Actions is a duplicate in the data. Also these all represent Heritage Auctions over the years. It does seem weird that there are similiar prices, but all in all it may have been 2 big pockets, one of which had an astronomical bid, and the other who capped them at a certain price for all their bids. It's not so odd if you think about that as a possibility.

- bounty

Could also be a very well researched reserve by the auction house of a glass ceiling that certain bidders would not likely exceed. GOD BLESS...

Superman 1 is also the first comic book fully dedicated to just one super-hero. Before that comic books were made up of a number of short stories. Its success changed Superhero comics as we know them. Which IMO makes it the 2nd most influential Superhero comic book ever published. Without it there might not have ever been an Amazing Spider-man 1, we might still be following Spider-man's adventures over in Amazing Fantasy..

Plus Superman 1 is cool because it has the #1 on the front cover :cloud9:

over100k.gif

Afew others....FF 1 ,9.4...110 K, FF1 ,9.6...175 K PLUS TRADE, Several ASM 1 ,9.6....100 K +, AF 15, 8.5...168 K, and didn't the 9.6 JLA 1 break 100 K ? We probably should try to put a list together as some of the info is not readily accessable and could be lost. GOD BLESS...

That's such a good idea I went back in time to 2004 and started one:

Every comic book that might be worth over $100,000 with every known sale recorded.

and then I jumped forward to 2007 and started another list

every comic that has sold for over $200,000

(thank god for time travel :) )

Put me down for one of those who believe Superman #1 has huge historical significance, but I believe that a big part of its value is driven by its scarcity in unrestored condition. I think if it were as common as Batman #1 or Marvel Comics #1 in unrestored condition, particularly above low grade, its value would be significantly lower.

It's perversely difficult in high grade. The difference in availability between Batman #1, Marvel #1 and Superman #1 in high grade is nutty..

and don't forget that many of these "big" sales happen privately... I probaby know of or been involved in a dozen more 100,000 to 200,000 sales that have actually taken place, but that never make any lists, for a myriad of reasons (thumbs u

and don't forget that many of these "big" sales happen privately... I probaby know of or been involved in a dozen more 100,000 to 200,000 sales that have actually taken place, but that never make any lists, for a myriad of reasons (thumbs u

No doubt. As open as some people are about these things there are plenty of people who don't want this info made public (at least when it pertains to books they're involved in). I've heard from a few of them over the years :( I mean, I'm glad to have "secret" info over not having the info at all (it helps me understand the market a little better,) but I'd rather be able to share it.

wrong spot (tsk)

WEBHEAD

What's wrong with it?

my bad :tonofbricks::slapfight:

over100k.gif

very very cool list :cloud9:

WEBHEAD