• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOP 10 DC COVERS.....Nominations for a poll

204 posts in this topic

This thread is turning out to be pretty cool....but I may have to consider splitting up by genre as many of you requested . One thing about this thread is that it reinforces my belief that the greatest favor ever done to SA D.C. collectors was Gerber's inability to produce a Photo Journal set for the SA material. I'm convinced that had he been able to pull it off, the price structure in the D.C market would be much different than it is today....a lot higher. Two other favorites I haven't seen yet are Flash 125 and MIS 81 . There are many fabulous covers that I simply don't know which issue number they are....particularly HOM, HOS, Sea Devils, and so many others. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

This thread is turning out to be pretty cool....but I may have to consider splitting up by genre as many of you requested . One thing about this thread is that it reinforces my belief that the greatest favor ever done to SA D.C. collectors was Gerber's inability to produce a Photo Journal set for the SA material. I'm convinced that had he been able to pull it off, the price structure in the D.C market would be much different than it is today....a lot higher. Two other favorites I haven't seen yet are Flash 125 and MIS 81 . There are many fabulous covers that I simply don't know which issue number they are....particularly HOM, HOS, Sea Devils, and so many others. GOD BLESS...

Flash 125 is indeed a great one!

Flash125.jpg

Another favorite of mine. I love the stray washtones that appear in unexpected places...like this Tomahawk.

Tomahawk65.jpg

Hey Jimbo,

Here are a few more HOM covers to consider!

HOM_41.jpg

HOM_53.jpg

HOM_60.jpg

HOM_64.jpg

hom_66.jpg

HOM_68.jpg

HOM_69.jpg

HOM_84.jpg

HOM_85.jpg

HOM_94.jpg

This thread is turning out to be pretty cool....but I may have to consider splitting up by genre as many of you requested .

Hey Jim,

Just a mention of some suggestions. Last year I did a "Survivor Series" for war comic covers only. It was made up of 13 rounds and we voted off our least favourite cover that was remaining. I started the whole thing with a thread asking for people to post their favourite war covers. Any period, any publisher, as long as the cover had a war theme. People came in the thread and there were 100 books exactly. I had the thread up for 5 or 6 days asking for people's faves. I didn't want to leave any out, so I used every single one that made it into my qualifying thread. I took every picture and uploaded them into my photobucket and posted them all as thumbnails once I started up the Survivor Series. I made a poll to vote off your least favourites and I had a thumbnail shown for every cover in the poll. Also, I put all of these threads in Comics General to get some traffic.

I'm posting all of this info so you can take into account how it's been done in the past. Also, I'm including comments and suggestions from participants on how to do it better than the way I did it.

If you decide to break it into genres, which I believe is absolutely necessary, then I'd be happy to give you a hand with the war one, if needed.

Here's some previous comments and suggestions:

I'd love to do this again, and when I made a thread asking for your favorite DC war covers, I made it clear that I was going to use them in a Survivor Series. There were lots of great covers that weren't posted, but to be truthful, starting with 100 covers is a lot. I'm not so sure having 150 covers to choose from would make a good poll. There's just too many to choose from as it was.

Andy

If you do the poll again I would suggest that when you ask for out favourite that it be that we can only show ONE and that is it. I know I posted like 6 books. If you just asked for our most favourite then that would make the list smaller to work from.

Here's how the voting will go for the duration of this contest:

Round 1 20 voted off

Round 2 20

Round 3 20

Round 4 20

Round 5 3

Round 6 3

Round 7 3

Round 8 3

Round 9 3

Round 10 1

Round 11 1

Round 12 1

Round 13 1

Champion! :acclaim:

Andy

If we do this again it would be fun to have everyone pick this way??

1 x Sgt Rock

1 x Unknown Soldier

1 x AAMOW

2 x GI Combat (Maybe 3)

3 x OAAW (1 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze)

This would break down one book from approx each 100 book run and have a Champion from each Catagory? I know, I know to much work!

Larry

I was thinking somewhat the same. Pick the best in each title in the Big Five, then have them go against each other for the best book.

There were LOTS of books that should've made the "initial 100" nominations that we've been voting on.

I'd like to see us put in for the best cover in each of the runs at some point, but hats off to Andy for putting this whole thing together.

There's so many nice ways and spins that you could do with this kind of competition. I've had requests for survivor series for each title of the Big Five, and I've had people mention having a cross title battle, such as GIC vs. OAAW. At any rate, I wouldn't want to do this again until the next year, but even with the work, it's actually quite fun to set up and make it come to life.

Any more suggestions on future Survivor Series are most welcome. :foryou:

Andy

Best of luck with whichever way you want to proceed. These really are a load of fun.

I dont't have my own copy, but JLA 29 would be one of my nominations. Great composition to the cover and the mix of GA and SA is a head turner for me.

Someone please post a pic if you would.

Here (though I enjoy the close-ups, I'd still have to give my nod to #21...cuz it's first!):

Rick

83530.jpg.d15bbb18f5f6acbba8b76e44f7725b67.jpg

83531.jpg.19004d6b136812870859a83f8bf2e6ed.jpg

I dont't have my own copy, but JLA 29 would be one of my nominations. Great composition to the cover and the mix of GA and SA is a head turner for me.

Here (though I enjoy the close-ups, I'd still have to give my nod to #21...cuz it's first!):

Rick

I just have a hard time nominating any cover as a Top 10 cover when a large percentage of the people on the cover are sitting.

Just went thru this thread...and my first thought was where are all the great DC covers... (shrug)

If those are all the best then Marvel kicks your ... :baiting:

I'll agree most are very good..but I only picked three as really good (not counting the War covers...OK) they are Brave & Bold #22 All-Star Western #121 and Showcase #34...all great covers..the others...very nice but not great...

I'll have to post a list tomorrow for you of great DC covers..because my picks are not listed...

Please bash me.if you want now...but the really best have not even been mentioned yet...???hm

Rick

I just have a hard time nominating any cover as a Top 10 cover when a large percentage of the people on the cover are sitting.

Well, so much for JLA #1 :blush:

Here's my personal fave JLA cover from the SA:

83552.jpg.488508410746c6c57278ba0fe9c21615.jpg

Just went thru this thread...and my first thought was where are all the great DC covers... (shrug)

If those are all the best then Marvel kicks your ... :baiting:

I'll agree most are very good..but I only picked three as really good (not counting the War covers...OK) they are Brave & Bold #22 All-Star Western #121 and Showcase #34...all great covers..the others...very nice but not great...

I'll have to post a list tomorrow for you of great DC covers..because my picks are not listed...

Please bash me.if you want now...but the really best have not even been mentioned yet...???hm

:popcorn:

Those early HOUSE OF SECRETS had some very cool covers...

hos_03.jpg

Love all those HOM and HOS covers, Bill! That HOS 3 is one of my favs. The Kirby on that one just rocks!

I agree, that's the one I'd pick.

Speaking of Kirby...here's an all-time favorite of mine. You don't get the red, white and blue combo too much on SA DCs.

Showcase11.jpg