• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I held it three weeks, time to reap my REWARD !

42 posts in this topic

Oh, Tish... you know I love it when you speak French! cloud9.gif

(Salvete, geekuli! Dicisne latinam?)

Nah, no latin here. Just some French and Swedish.

As for the envy question, I think it's because all comics have value only in the eye of the beholder. So if person 'A' buys the modern X-TrEAM YETTI #1 for $2,000 and person 'B' only buys the GA series HAPPY ARIMEN AT SEA, then 'B' is going to think 'A' is insane. Only HAAS has any value in B's eyes. 'A' might as well toss his money down the gutter. "I can buy it for a couple of bucks off the shelf -- what you thinking???"

Meanwhile, 'A' has never even heard of HAAS, so if 'B' spends $2000 on HAAS #47, then 'A' thinks 'B' is a true loon. "Who even cares about that stupid thing other than dead people? Besides, it's not a 10.0, it's not a #1, and it's got off-white pages! You'll never be able to flip it!"

It's all about perceived value.

Oh, Tish... you know I love it when you speak French! cloud9.gif

(Salvete, geekuli! Dicisne latinam?)

Nah, no latin here. Just some French and Swedish.

As for the envy question, I think it's because all comics have value only in the eye of the beholder. So if person 'A' buys the modern X-TrEAM YETTI #1 for $2,000 and person 'B' only buys the GA series HAPPY ARIMEN AT SEA, then 'B' is going to think 'A' is insane. Only HAAS has any value in B's eyes. 'A' might as well toss his money down the gutter. "I can buy it for a couple of bucks off the shelf -- what you thinking???"

Meanwhile, 'A' has never even heard of HAAS, so if 'B' spends $2000 on HAAS #47, then 'A' thinks 'B' is a true loon. "Who even cares about that stupid thing other than dead people? Besides, it's not a 10.0, it's not a #1, and it's got off-white pages! You'll never be able to flip it!"

It's all about perceived value.

Very true.....

Jim

How are the books coming?

Jim

Quite well, thank you! I'm in the final stages. The due date is next thursday, and I don't forsee any problems making it. I've worked like crazy this past week, so I'm ahead of schedule. I should have both done by Sunday, which gives me next week to do a final read-through on each.

They still haven't paid me my advance, though. But they know they don't get the manuscripts until I have the money, so it should hit my account soon. The publisher is British, and because of the weakening dollar, my payment is going up with every day that passes (my contract is in pounds sterling). Their lateness has made me a few hundred dollars extra.

-- Joanna

My point was that it sold for 30x NM guide I find that a tad odd - but that's just me. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I do think that 9.9 is the point where the Label supplants the comic itself. Oh and yes I knock on ppl for using specifics to generalize an arguement so hypocracy is the order of the day it seems sorry.gif - must be osmosis too much time spent near the water cooler - or the CGC collection arguement thread. tongue.gif

Considering that we are talking about a modern popular book that should be fairly common out there, my question is how much are those 9.8s selling for and what's the real difference between a 9.8 and a 9.9.

I don't collect Hulk or X-Men, but I could see putting out the bigger bucks for a Hulk 1*1 in 9.9 since it's now a 30 year old book and there's not going to be many raw 9.9s out there. But >$1k for a modern? What happens when there's a warehouse find? It's much more likely for that X-book than for Hulk 1*1.

without a doubt. that is the core point of this stupidity. anybody that thinks that there are not loads of FORMER collectors in their 30s who are still holding their collections and are not even aware of what they have is just plain wrong. The only books that should be generating the type of numbers these plentiful 80's and 90's books are ......are pre-1975. JMO. 893blahblah.gif

13 of the most worthless books i can imagine. >$50 ??????

Considering that we are talking about a modern popular book that should be fairly common out there, my question is how much are those 9.8s selling for and what's the real difference between a 9.8 and a 9.9.

its pretty obvious that the difference is that one is clearly 'point one louder', idnt it?

He can take the untapped kinetic energy in non-living things and turn it into active energy. He prefers playing cards. His other mutant abilities(or possibly just regular talents) include above average persuasion and agility.

He is one of those love him or hate him characters, and rivals Wolverine for the title of most popular(or hated) X-Man.

Thanks! I have heard of him, but didn't know he was popular.

I thought you were joking.... foreheadslap.gif

Matt doesn't joke around when it comes to comic trivia... 893naughty-thumb.gif

Matt's always serious...look at his bidding history! blush.gif