• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watchmen Character Names

27 posts in this topic

Well I admit...I never put A+B together. I always thought "Rorschach" was a uniquely chosen but cool name that was picked for the character in the Watchmen books.

Read this...you all might have seen this or known about it, but the person behind the "Ink blot" thing is a Swiss psychologist by the name of Hermann Rorschach.

At least this is what I read this moring. So I guess Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons got their idea for the costume from the test.

I had no idea. Thought it is interesting.

Here is the link that explains the "Rorschach Test" :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rorschach_test

And before you guys start asking...no I did not do this test at a psychologist.... :)

OK so all of you "smart" people knew about that it is named after a Swiss psychologist by the name of Herman Rorschach.

Very impressive....!

I still never put A+B together and I admint it.

And the Rohrschach test is administered to Rohrschach in the comics, and in the film...how's that for wackiness...??

chap-6-rorschach-test-1.jpg

OK. You all got me !.

I admit (again) that I never put A+B together.

When I read the book I thougt it was the test for Rorschach, therefore they wrote "The Rorschach Blot" test. What did I know. I think I was 15 or so.

And since I did not think about this ever again. Rorschach was Rorschach.

That easy.

This morning I read about the test...and I had the "aha" moment.

If one other person also did not put A+B together, but now knows that it was designed after the Swiss psychologist, it's all I wanted.

But again...thanks for letting me know !

Assuming the explanation for the creation of Dr. Manhatten is correct, we have 2 explanations for the names. How about the rest of the gang ?

Dr. Manhatten - after Manhatten Project

Rorschach - after Swiss Psychologist Herbert Rorschach / or the Rorschach test

Nite Owl (Dreiberg) - ?

The Commedian (Blake) - ?

Silk Spectre - ?

Assuming the explanation for the creation of Dr. Manhatten is correct, we have 2 explanations for the names. How about the rest of the gang ?

Dr. Manhatten - after Manhatten Project

Rorschach - after Swiss Psychologist Herbert Rorschach / or the Rorschach test

Nite Owl (Dreiberg) - ?

The Commedian (Blake) - ?

Silk Spectre - ?

A lot of American TV shows and movies used Rorschach tests during the 80s and early 90s so I don't think a lot of us were introduced to them in school (not myself at least).

The origins of all the Watchmen character names are in the story itself. It's a good excuse to read that thing again. :)

The origins of the characters or the origin of the Names, meaning what was the creative idea behind the names.

All except "Silk Spectre", I think, but that one is self-explanatory.

No I don't own the TBD, but the original books.

But what I tried to find out is not the origin the way it was written in the book.

I thought it was interesting that Moore / Gibbons created a character, gave him the "rorschach ink" face, and named the character after the person that created that test. He was Rorschach throughout the book, until they revealed his real name.

Again I am not talking about the origin in the book.

What was the background of the creation of the character. Hope that explains it finally....

So can anybody explain the possible creative aspect of the characters names ?

No I don't own the TBD, but the original books.

But what I tried to find out is not the origin the way it was written in the book.

I thought it was interesting that Moore / Gibbons created a character, gave him the "rorschach ink" face, and named the character after the person that created that test. He was Rorschach throughout the book, until they revealed his real name.

Again I am not talking about the origin in the book.

What was the background of the creation of the character. Hope that explains it finally....

So can anybody explain the possible creative aspect of the characters names ?

I'm done. Good luck.