• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Important Copper Age story arcs

61 posts in this topic

I have asked this of the bronze age group and thought I would get some ideas from the coppers.

What are considered some key Copper Age story arcs that should be owned or read? Since I love a good story I thought I would start collecting story arcs instead of just trying to complete runs, Key issues, etc.

So give me some ideas please or at least somewhere to start.

There are so many. There were a ton of great comics being published then.

yeah pretty much anything by alan moore or frank miller (except watchmen :hi: ). Can't go wrong. Even some of moore's later and lesser read works like From Hell are very intriguing (although probably not 'copper').

I really liked new teen titans 42-44 as well - won the best story award that year for a reason.

Early TMNT were very good.

Groo is the best 'funny' comic of that era.

Lone Wolf and Cub is superb. The recent reprints are better for reading, although the 80s books had superb miller and ploog covers.

Cerebus is a love it or hate it. I love it. Probably easiest to read between about #26 - 100.

A lot of people like early vertigo titles although I'm not as familiar with them (and also they are kind of on the edge of modern not copper).

But really I say start with Miller, Moore, Lone Wolf and Groo. Nice balance of dark, intelligent, violent and utterly goofy.

Too many to list.

But you know I can.

Go for it!

A quick few off the top of my head:

Crisis

PPTSSM - Sin-Eater storyline (early 100's)

Batman: Year 1

ASM 252-258 (black costume)

I want to recommend Grendel and Nexus, but I can't really give you specific arcs in either series mainly because everything builds on what came before it. However, you should be able to pick up Grendel 1-40 pretty cheap .. and a :censored: fine read it is. Same with Nexus too. Between the two series though, you are looking at 150+ books. (shrug) You may just want to back burner it and get to them eventually, but get to them ;)

Easily the Secret Wars #8, ASM #252-259 black alien suit saga. It was a big deal for a Marvel icon to make such a radical costume change and it actually be well received! Simple but great.

Also, we find out that its an alien symbiote...which later becomes Venom. One of the hottest rogues in Spidey's vast gallery.

I would say with Spidey's black costume success, Marvel actually tried this with other staples in the MU, Captain America and Daredevil. It was not as successful (especially in the case of Daredevil). The black Captain uniform later goes to USAgent, that has kept it even till today.

Hands down...a landmark storyline in Copper history. I would say in comic history as well, only because of the status of Spider-Man.

Easily the Secret Wars #8, ASM #252-259 black alien suit saga. It was a big deal for Marvel icon to make such a radical costume change and it actually be well received! Simple but great. And we later find out that its an alien symbiote...which later becomes Venom. One of the hottest rogues in Spidey's vast gallery.

I would spidey's black costume success, made Marvel actually consider trying this with other staples in the MU like Cap and Daredevil. It was not as successful (especially in the case of Daredevil). But we later go USAgent that has kept the black Cap suit even till today.

Hands down...a landmark storyline in Copper history. I would say in comic history as well, only because of the status of Spider-Man.

^^

Great call on that!

And the "reasoning" is spot on as well.

Excelllent post. Spot on. :acclaim:

Spidey's Gang War arc was good too. (Actually ASM 230ish - 310ish) has some great stories, except 263 with the spider-kid.

I looked forward to this title every month. Neil

What was that Avengers storyline where Baron Zemo broke into Avengers Mansion and redecorated?

#274-277, The Masters of Evil invade the mansion. (thumbs u

Yeah that was an awesome read.

What was that Avengers storyline where Baron Zemo broke into Avengers Mansion and redecorated?

#274-277, The Masters of Evil invade the mansion. (thumbs u

Yeah that was an awesome read.

It was good.

I like the thought of Baron Zemo and the fixer redecorating the mansion.

I imagine the Fixer to have a really camp high pitched voice saying things like "those curtains are so 1970, they will have to go". lol

Too many to list.

But you know I can.

Go for it!

A quick few off the top of my head:

PPTSSM - Sin-Eater storyline (early 100's)

GREAT MEMORY!! So overlooked, yet soooo good!

Nobody mentioned Miller's second stint on DD either, I believe it was called SAVED, easily one of my faves!

Jay

Ignore what Dan said about Watchmen. Make sure you get it first!

Listen to Matt if you want to be bored stiff for a couple hours while reading it :baiting: