• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,895 posts in this topic

On 9/21/2021 at 1:28 PM, bronze_rules said:

I have to say wow. Looking through these threads, at what people find. I've wasted years and gas, finding next to nothing in craigslist and swap meets. The one find I did hit, I made a deal and right before I left to pick them up, the guy called and left a message, "oh someone offered more, so I sold it to them, bye." I saw those comics a week later in an LCS.:pullhair:

Best deals I've found were through dealers that I gave business often.

I have had good scores at antique stores, garage sales, estate sales, used book stores, flea markets, Craigslist and even at comic shows. Word of mouth has landed me deals as well. I have many non comic book antique dealers that call me when they turn up comics. 

Connections are very important. I rarely make offers. And I have sometimes given them more than they wanted. A simple gesture like this usually gets calls from sellers when they turn up or know of something I’d want. 

The key is the harder you work and the more you get. It doesn’t come easy. Most times you strike out. The more times you step up to the plate, the better your chances of a HR. 

Thusly, I feel I have worked for and earned the occasional score. 

On 9/22/2021 at 11:21 AM, Robot Man said:

I have had good scores at antique stores, garage sales, estate sales, used book stores, flea markets, Craigslist and even at comic shows. Word of mouth has landed me deals as well. I have many non comic book antique dealers that call me when they turn up comics. 

Connections are very important. I rarely make offers. And I have sometimes given them more than they wanted. A simple gesture like this usually gets calls from sellers when they turn up or know of something I’d want. 

The key is the harder you work and the more you get. It doesn’t come easy. Most times you strike out. The more times you step up to the plate, the better your chances of a HR. 

Thusly, I feel I have worked for and earned the occasional score. 

If you don't make offers,  do u just ask them what they want for the comics?  What do u say when they say,  just name me a price?

I believe there are two things at play here and not “he paid what was asked”

1. He took a potential customer from his shop

2. he didn’t see the comics out like some of us do (at a garage sale, flea market, Craigslist/eBay/Facebook ad) the books are weren’t priced to sell. They were made available because he did #1. Did he take advantage of that opportunity- yes. Should he have? That’s the moral/ethical question 

everyone should do what they are comfortable with 

for the seller and all sellers. If you don’t know what the books are worth - ask how much are they worth? 

On 9/22/2021 at 10:21 AM, Robot Man said:

Connections are very important.

This

there are some dealers who ask me what some stuff is worth or I let them know because I want to be the first person they show stuff to

they understand I need to make money on anything I take so they give me a deal if I take it

i guarantee if I took advantage of that, I’d never get called again 

On 9/22/2021 at 11:14 AM, Wolverinex said:

If you don't make offers,  do u just ask them what they want for the comics?  What do u say when they say,  just name me a price?

Yes. I ask them what would make them happy? If they are too high, I negotiate a bit. If they are too low, I just pay them what they want. And in some cases, I have actually given them a little more if I think they are light. (After I have paid their asking price so they don’t change their mind). This has come back in spades over the years. 

Not saying I don’t ever make an offer but rarely. My experience is even fair offers are rarely taken. People think you are out to cheat them.  My offer is usually just used on the next guy. 

Now, I am generally speaking of show and professional dealers of general antiques and collectibles. If they can’t be bothered to do a little sensible research, that is their fault. I research everything I buy from old toys, advertising signs, sports items and other collectibles. I don’t always ask top dollar but I like to know how much I’m leaving on the table. It is only smart and diligent business. 

On 9/22/2021 at 2:30 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I believe there are two things at play here and not “he paid what was asked”

1. He took a potential customer from his shop

2. he didn’t see the comics out like some of us do (at a garage sale, flea market, Craigslist/eBay/Facebook ad) the books are weren’t priced to sell. They were made available because he did #1. Did he take advantage of that opportunity- yes. Should he have? That’s the moral/ethical question 

everyone should do what they are comfortable with 

for the seller and all sellers. If you don’t know what the books are worth - ask how much are they worth? 

Alright, I just want to say one thing and that’s it.

I understand that this whole situation has caused quite a stir among some individuals on here and for that I am sorry.

First, I have heard all the opinions and understand that the main thing I did wrong was take a potential business deal away from the shop. I will 100% chalk up to that, I wasn’t thinking in the moment and the responsibility is on me to do better next time. How can anyone learn from a mistake if they aren’t made in the first place? I can tell you I will take it as a learning experience and be sure to consider the external factors from now on.

Second, the thing that bothers me the most about the judgement of this whole ordeal is that the people crying foul think I am in this for the money. That I am going to turn around and cash in while the chips are hot. Never once was there a hint of consideration that I would be potentially be keeping these books for my personal collection. To answer that question, yes I do intend to keep both of the books for my own use. I have always been a huge Spider-Man fan and it has been very difficult to get a lot of books I used to have a few years ago. I have always been a collector first and seller second. And in reality I only sell my books to afford new ones. I know a lot of people here seem to be oozing money at the seams, but others don’t have the funds to keep up with this ever changing market. With a baby on the way due in January I know that it’s only a matter of time before I take a hiatus from this hobby for financial reasons.

Third, I know a lot of jokes were made about the denomination that I chose to offer based on the range the gentleman was looking for. I get it, silly to hold onto 3 dollars. Why not just offer him the $78.00 I had in my pocket? I honestly have no idea, maybe I have some OCD tendencies for things to be in multiples of 5, either way it’s the number that I chose.

Lastly, I have been a member on these boards for about 5-6 years. In that time I have learned a tremendous amount, made some great boardie friends/connections and been able to sell many books to happy customers. And I would like to continue that relationship moving forward as I believe that up until now I have always had a good standing with you (My Kudos Thread should prove that)

But honestly if this is how a topic like this is handled, with ridicule and disdain, then I’ll definitely have to rethink posting in the future. I hope that isn’t the case.

I do appreciate being showed one of my errors in judgement, will learn from it and hope to move on from this.

Thanks,

Adam

On 9/22/2021 at 2:42 PM, porcupine48 said:

This I found at a second hand store for a sawbuck.

If only these went crazy like the comics!Still sweet to have the box and manual in nice shape-and a system to play on :cloud9:

242260050_196034675932269_73822258815382241568918_2996160564004818_2138534543096242024155_400817064951999_51754980186600

Namtak I thought you'd appreciate this

@Domo Arigato not shabby eh?

I had the black copy of this game 

Wish I knew what I did with it

On 9/22/2021 at 4:45 PM, Dr. Dank said:

I had the black copy of this game 

Wish I knew what I did with it

Oh,like the cartridge? I was surprised at the colour on this one. Fits great with my boxed Spidey and X-Men sega.

If you ever wanted just for fun,there's a Spider-Man atari game that's usually pretty cheap.

On 9/22/2021 at 2:49 PM, porcupine48 said:

Oh,like the cartridge? I was surprised at the colour on this one. Fits great with my boxed Spidey and X-Men sega.

If you ever wanted just for fun,there's a Spider-Man atari game that's usually pretty cheap.

I had that game, I never made it to the top of the skyscraper

Yeah I had Maximum Carnage, but the cartridge was black.

On 9/22/2021 at 4:58 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Some stuff

20210922_145634.jpg

Cool!I don't think I have that Xmen..I have two(copies)but maybe doubles? Now I have to go digging arrrgh.. lol I think my other is Rise of the Mutants?

I know I played Crüe Ball last night,a Motley Crue pin ball game,pretty awesome

On 9/22/2021 at 4:50 PM, Dr. Dank said:

I had that game, I never made it to the top of the skyscraper

Yeah I had Maximum Carnage, but the cartridge was black.

So.so tough.I think Jeffro said he had it and couldn't beat it too

On 9/22/2021 at 3:05 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I was never good at super heroes games except for TMNT,  but that rocked at the arcade and at home with friends and family. :)

This clone wars game is really fun. Much better than the first xmen