• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,898 posts in this topic

On 9/26/2021 at 7:14 PM, Beige said:

Some of the other pulps in the box lot.

Info welcome - all beat up, but complete with attached covers:

CCF27092021_0002.thumb.jpg.d66b60303f12becb4949f2f8e75d38fc.jpg

Well, you led with your best - that being the Dynamic. The other sci-fi issues in that sort of shape are not desirable to most pulp collectors. Most of the sci-if stuff from the 40’s and 50’s is plentiful, and unless it’s a noteworthy robot or BEM* cover, the mags would need to be in better condition to curry much interest.

The Wonder Stories shown above is a good bit earlier, but again the condition just isn’t there, even though I think it looks cool and well-loved. 

On 9/28/2021 at 7:44 AM, PopKulture said:

Yep, not the best source of transportation if you plan on buying a whole lot, but it’s a good reset, that’s for sure. There’s something both magical but a little sad around harvest time in the Midwest. It’s acre after acre of watching them bringing in the year’s corn, which leaves the land looking so barren, but as a ritual it’s got such an obvious bustle of industry to it. That a long winter is just around the corner can be a bit of a downer sometimes…

That’s cool that you already have one - I think that’s the first 3-D Lucy I remember coming across. I recently picked up one-shot magazines on Vince Edwards and Tommy Sands. You see the Marilyn and James Dean issues at fairly high prices at shows, but the Tommy Sands was a new one for me. Of course, barely one in a hundred people could probably recall Tommy Sands, and in less than a decade, absolutely nobody will care, but that’s besides the point…

Other than some nice areas of wetlands, I don’t have any corn fields to ride through. I do like an early morning ride down Pacific Coast Highway along the ocean. And baring rain, I can do it all year long. Yeah, not much room for large purchases. 

Even I barely remember who Tommy Sands was. A Mouseketeer? 

On 9/28/2021 at 10:10 AM, Robot Man said:

Other than some nice areas of wetlands, I don’t have any corn fields to ride through. I do like an early morning ride down Pacific Coast Highway along the ocean. And baring rain, I can do it all year long. Yeah, not much room for large purchases. 

Even I barely remember who Tommy Sands was. A Mouseketeer? 

Yeah, PCH aint' half bad for a ride...

Sands had a few his records in the late 50's, and was married to Nancy Sinatra for a while. I know Sands did teen idol type movies, one with Fabian, but I don't recall if he was ever a Mouseketeer. Guess I'll have to have a closer look at the magazine!

On 9/27/2021 at 11:30 PM, littledoom said:

Remember that garage sale from last weekend? There was an estate sale I went to this weekend and that guy selling comics from his garage showed up as my competition. He turned out to be very friendly and highly knowledgeable. So his company was welcoming while digging through boxes. He got a Watchmen 1, Booster Gold 1, Solar 10, She Hulk 40, MCP 72, Eternal Warrior 4 2x. Some other guy got an Infinity Gauntlet 1 (these guys are breaking my sets!). Here's the comics I got for $2 each. $196 after tax. Can't believe this thread is 700 pages!

34FD2C2D-2DAA-48BE-8646-16E4521ABCC2.thumb.jpeg.9b04cf97420c2099cd4645728f0487df.jpeg

37E5E83D-A732-41F6-9836-037750068C1D.thumb.jpeg.d93e8692756c14525564a8fcae83a0dc.jpeg

6CA75980-6760-4DE6-981B-49CF5079C442.thumb.jpeg.c41987b02bbdd3a0649f323cc1520ace.jpeg

So they took the #1's and left the rest of the set? Or they were in different boxes for pricing?

On 9/28/2021 at 1:05 PM, ygogolak said:

So they took the #1's and left the rest of the set? Or they were in different boxes for pricing?

In the case of the Watchmen the other main competition saw me plucking all the Watchmen. So he ignored the rest in search of the #1.. I should have just offered him $20 for it. He also got Hulk Future Imperfect 1 which I needed. A lot of these types of ppl don't consider full value for runs/sets like I do. All the comics were unorganized and mismatched in diff boxes. Although the very first box I went to had a lot of great comics. It was a frenzy

B66B2C83-F6AD-4292-8156-387A57228E37.jpeg.b37bac4a150fedf0a0c31902fe4b357c.jpeg

7426A833-5ECF-40BE-A344-99771DA77A3A.thumb.jpeg.997d5807266cdc6a143ac6098fa3acef.jpeg

Edited by littledoom

Yikes! My least favorite thing about the digging race- trying not to get distracted by what the others are pulling! 

I once walked up to a booth right behind a guy. He immediately snagged a slabbed ASM 300 marked for a pretty good deal. Sucks I missed it, but while he was chatting with the dealer about it, I was raiding the raws! 

Same flea market, different month, there was a guy ahead of me for three booths of comics. As I'd come to one, he'd be halfway through it. I kept trying to grab a peek of his stack whenever I could. Hard not to think about what he was beating me to. 

On 9/28/2021 at 6:12 PM, Conacon said:

Yikes! My least favorite thing about the digging race- trying not to get distracted by what the others are pulling! 

I once walked up to a booth right behind a guy. He immediately snagged a slabbed ASM 300 marked for a pretty good deal. Sucks I missed it, but while he was chatting with the dealer about it, I was raiding the raws! 

Same flea market, different month, there was a guy ahead of me for three booths of comics. As I'd come to one, he'd be halfway through it. I kept trying to grab a peek of his stack whenever I could. Hard not to think about what he was beating me to. 

The key is to be focused because only you are in control of what you can grab. He was eyeing what I was grabbing as he was right next to me. I thought about doing that but honestly I can't do two things at once. I have a theory that whatever box I'm looking through is the best and therefore where I'm supposed to be in that exact moment. I wish I took a look at the vinyls. I did buy a DVD though. About 95% of all estate sales I go to it's a feeding frenzy- rarely am I ever alone

On 9/28/2021 at 8:10 PM, littledoom said:

In the case of the Watchmen the other main competition saw me plucking all the Watchmen. So he ignored the rest in search of the #1.. I should have just offered him $20 for it. He also got Hulk Future Imperfect 1 which I needed. A lot of these types of ppl don't consider full value for runs/sets like I do. All the comics were unorganized and mismatched in diff boxes. Although the very first box I went to had a lot of great comics. It was a frenzy

7426A833-5ECF-40BE-A344-99771DA77A3A.thumb.jpeg.997d5807266cdc6a143ac6098fa3acef.jpeg

How did you know there are going to be Comics at this estate sale? Which app do you use

On 9/28/2021 at 7:10 PM, littledoom said:

I’ve yelled at @manetteskafor doing the same - I hate when they don’t take the whole set. Especially if you are getting a deal, grab the entire set and at least do the seller a favor 

On 9/28/2021 at 8:12 PM, Conacon said:

On 9/28/2021 at 8:48 PM, littledoom said:

The key is to be focused because only you are in control of what you can grab. He was eyeing what I was grabbing as he was right next to me. I thought about doing that but honestly I can't do two things at once.

Whenever I have someone looking at what I’m doing I start flipping the books with the boards up and I start making it loud when I stack another one - I sometimes take even more books just to mess with the competition that they picked the wrong box

On 9/29/2021 at 2:35 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I’ve yelled at @manetteskafor doing the same - I hate when they don’t take the whole set. Especially if you are getting a deal, grab the entire set and at least do the seller a favor 

Especially with something that isn't open-ended. I have some small sympathy for the idea that a buyer might not want -- or know what to do with -- a deep cut of Booster Gold issues. But cherry-picking #1 off a run of Watchmen? That just seems ignorant. Sure, #1 is a higher-dollar book, but the whole run moves well at decent prices, either individually or as a set.

On 9/29/2021 at 2:35 PM, jsilverjanet said:
On 9/28/2021 at 7:10 PM, littledoom said:

Expand  

I don't need no Secret Wars #9-12.

:sumo:

On 9/29/2021 at 4:20 PM, Qalyar said:

Especially with something that isn't open-ended. I have some small sympathy for the idea that a buyer might not want -- or know what to do with -- a deep cut of Booster Gold issues. But cherry-picking #1 off a run of Watchmen? That just seems ignorant. Sure, #1 is a higher-dollar book, but the whole run moves well at decent prices, either individually or as a set.

if the set is 4-6 issues, there are no excuses. buy the entire set

On 9/29/2021 at 5:34 PM, jsilverjanet said:

if the set is 4-6 issues, there are no excuses. buy the entire set

I wanted to bust chops about some 7 issues series and say "why you hating on civil war, ..."  :sumo: but Atlantis Chronicles was the next best 7 issue I could think of! doh!

On 9/29/2021 at 2:42 PM, manetteska said:

You would be proud: I’ve bought multiple sets of Marvel Boy. :foryou:

On Saturday I actually went to a nearby shop after the sale.. I got Marvel Boy 1 for $4.. I contemplated but couldn't push myself to buy the remaining series issues for $3 a piece.. plus tax! (and that's a set I believe will go higher)

On 9/29/2021 at 4:53 PM, littledoom said:
On 9/29/2021 at 4:42 PM, manetteska said:

You would be proud: I’ve bought multiple sets of Marvel Boy. :foryou:

On Saturday I actually went to a nearby shop after the sale.. I got Marvel Boy 1 for $4.. I contemplated but couldn't push myself to buy the remaining series issues for $3 a piece.. plus tax! (and that's a set I believe will go higher)

:gossip: Don't tell @jsilverjanet but I only bought the sets b/c that's how they were sold (i.e. 1-6 for $5). Otherwise I would have left the other 5. :banana: