• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,895 posts in this topic

Any opinions on this interesting CL listing?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/bks/4196188487.html

"I'm selling my deadbeat ex-boyfriend's comics to make up for the back rent he owes me."

This would make me stay far away, since they are probably not her's (legally) to sell. And....if he's a deadbeat, there's always a chance you'll be, you know, "beat dead". Stay away!

So a few months after I started buying comics (again) I saw an ad for some books on CL. Turns out the guy used to shop at an old comic shop I went to as a kid aka Comic Kingdom in Chicago (I'm sure a lot folks would know the owner) we went to the same grammar school so we hit off.

We talked back and forth and finally met up and brought some comics from him. I got about $300 worth of ASM from all eras. When I got home, I checked the books and found some major damage, cut outs etc in the interior. I talked to him and he apologized and said he had no knowledge that the books were damaged on the inside. This was all new and I took him at his word and he promised a discount on the next set of books.

We continued to have transactions, I kept buying some of his keys, life was good until I noticed that his only copies he was selling me, we're being posted again and again on CL. I was told he was selling me his only best copy, that he personally brought with his mom etc

At this point we had a falling out as he started accusing me of trying to rip him off for not wanting to pay his prices even though I would quote GPA, eBay etc (I became better informed of FMV) he kept accusing me of trying to rip him off when I brought up how he had lied about selling me his only copy that his mom had brought him when he had 4 more copies he was selling. I also said I'm not the one who sells books that are damaged and claimed not to know it. He lost it at that point and I walked away.

He sold me those bad books at the price he knew they weren't, or else why was he keeping the better copies along the way, I understand this is just my speculation and I could never prove it but it did seem suspicious

He kept posting ads about how he needed to sell his books because his girlfriend wanted him to sell them, then it was his fiancé , then it was his mom getting mad for selling the family jewels. He also put that he needed to pay his vet bills, etc.

He needed to sell and sell now. But he didn't and he can't. Every dealer and collector that I know locally laughs at this guy and his prices way over eBay or anything close to FMV. The minute you try to negotiate he starts losing it. Many other folks have gone to see the collection and walked saying what an a hole he is.

I saw this ad and though ha. The GF got sick of him. But then I thought how does she know so much about the books. And why does the add look exactly like his. With the same prices, same notes.

It's probably him trying to find another sucker.

I was going to contact thinking I may get his GF but I really don't want anything to do with him.

he kept texting me over the summer asking if I was going to Wizard World, to come by his yard sale.

I'll see if I can find some old posts and pics of his.

So a few months after I started buying comics (again) I saw an ad for some books on CL. Turns out the guy used to shop at an old comic shop I went to as a kid aka Comic Kingdom in Chicago (I'm sure a lot folks would know the owner) we went to the same grammar school so we hit off.

We talked back and forth and finally met up and brought some comics from him. I got about $300 worth of ASM from all eras. When I got home, I checked the books and found some major damage, cut outs etc in the interior. I talked to him and he apologized and said he had no knowledge that the books were damaged on the inside. This was all new and I took him at his word and he promised a discount on the next set of books.

We continued to have transactions, I kept buying some of his keys, life was good until I noticed that his only copies he was selling me, we're being posted again and again on CL. I was told he was selling me his only best copy, that he personally brought with his mom etc

At this point we had a falling out as he started accusing me of trying to rip him off for not wanting to pay his prices even though I would quote GPA, eBay etc (I became better informed of FMV) he kept accusing me of trying to rip him off when I brought up how he had lied about selling me his only copy that his mom had brought him when he had 4 more copies he was selling. I also said I'm not the one who sells books that are damaged and claimed not to know it. He lost it at that point and I walked away.

He sold me those bad books at the price he knew they weren't, or else why was he keeping the better copies along the way, I understand this is just my speculation and I could never prove it but it did seem suspicious

He kept posting ads about how he needed to sell his books because his girlfriend wanted him to sell them, then it was his fiancé , then it was his mom getting mad for selling the family jewels. He also put that he needed to pay his vet bills, etc.

He needed to sell and sell now. But he didn't and he can't. Every dealer and collector that I know locally laughs at this guy and his prices way over eBay or anything close to FMV. The minute you try to negotiate he starts losing it. Many other folks have gone to see the collection and walked saying what an a hole he is.

I saw this ad and though ha. The GF got sick of him. But then I thought how does she know so much about the books. And why does the add look exactly like his. With the same prices, same notes.

It's probably him trying to find another sucker.

:eek:

Whoh - thanks for the background jsilverjanet

I was going to contact thinking I may get his GF but I really don't want anything to do with him.

he kept texting me over the summer asking if I was going to Wizard World, to come by his yard sale.

I'll see if I can find some old posts and pics of his.

Cooool, old posts and pics would be interesting to see :)

Does Half-Priced-Books count?

I found these today going through their comic area: was REALLY shocked to find the ToT #1 (first print) for 0.25 :D but anyhow, I found these 3 for 25 cents apiece today....all 9.8 candidates.......SCORE!!! lol Now, I just have to be careful with the removing the stickers

scan0128_zps27b267f6.jpgscan0130_zps3904de0a.jpgscan0127_zpsfa922823.jpg

Edited by Derbyfan70

I am looking at an upcoming estate sale where the listing only says "old comic books" amongst all the other items.

I know it shows my age, but I think of "old comic books" as having 25-cent covers or less. I am betting at least some of those "old comic books" are gonna be 90's drek... but I'll never know unless I go.

:(

-slym

Well, the comics were the only thing I was interested in that estate sale and I couldn't find out if it would be Saturday or Sunday that they would be up, so I passed, and of course that meant I left behind something good - but I'll never know what.

:lol:

I did hit the local large flea market today, found a bunch of drek all messed up at one place, so I passed there, found a few reader issues for a Copper FF run I am putting together for the PIF guys, and then these babies-

6suk.jpg

$1 each on the UXM and the Teen Titans, and $3 for the Batman 442. $5 total. I guess I did OK today.

:)

-slym

I am looking at an upcoming estate sale where the listing only says "old comic books" amongst all the other items.

I know it shows my age, but I think of "old comic books" as having 25-cent covers or less. I am betting at least some of those "old comic books" are gonna be 90's drek... but I'll never know unless I go.

:(

-slym

1990 was 23 years ago, seems pretty old to me :baiting:

Best find this year came well after a garage sale had run its course, 10 doors down on my street.

I made a promise not to do any garage sales this year, and this was the only stop I made all season.

As I was heading out with the family and drove by the house, I saw a bunch of furniture and yard machines.

In the pile was a brand spanking new lawnmower and snowthrower. I asked my Wife to knock on the door as I wanted to make sure the "free sign" they placed included those two items.

The lady told us we were welcome to take them which I couldn't believe since they looked like they hadn't ever been used.

In fact after seeing the condition they were in and the for sale (SOLD) sign on their front lawn, the only thing I suspected was they were leaving the country for good and couldn't take them with them.

After adding some fuel today, the snowthrower sure came in handy as we just got a blizzard and already have about 20 centimeters.

I'm especially stoked because while I never minded hand shovelling our place, I've been thinking about putting a backyard rink this year and this machine will come in handy. Here's a pic of the actual machine:

0004303354787_500X500.jpg