• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Remind me-why isn't staple replacement resto?

44 posts in this topic

I think I read somewhere that as long as you use "period" staples (that is, staples that date from the era of the book in question), it isnt' considered resto.

So who has big piles of staples dating back to the forties? I don't know, I suspect they're cannibalized from other, low-grade copies.

Cruising through the August C'link offerings and spotted a GA book with blue label but had a notation "staple replaced" on lable.

Why isn't that resto...

I always understood that it was because nothing foreign was added to the book to restore it to a previous condition. Well at least not in terms of something that was not originally supposed to go on the book. Technically I suppose it could be viewed as a restorative procedure, but the book itself really has not been restored, just worked so it sounds like they noted that it was replaced on the label and let the buyer decide how they feel about it?

The sad part is even if it was put in a purple label it would carry a stigma when it should not, because more then likely the staple was replaced as a preventative measure(rusted) and that should be viewed as a good thing no matter what color label it sits in.

Honestly I have no idea. The Green label and what gets it and what doesn't is bafffeling at times to me.

Ok, most of the time.

I suppose because the staples were cleaned to make the book look better and increase the grade? (shrug)

But that sounds like resto without adding anything to the book.

See I told you I was baffled.

We don't necessarily have to agree with the CGC. Staple replacement is restoration. It replaces something missing or in poorer condition (e.g., rusted). You can't even claim the staple is married unless you knew it can from another of the same issue of the comic.

I always understood that it was because nothing foreign was added to the book to restore it to a previous condition. Well at least not in terms of something that was not originally supposed to go on the book. Technically I suppose it could be viewed as a restorative procedure, but the book itself really has not been restored, just worked so they note that it was replaced on the label and let the buyer decide how they feel about it.

The sad part is if it was put in a purple label it would carry a stigma when it should not, because more then likely the staple was replaced as a preventative measure(rusted) and that should be viewed as a good thing no matter what color label it sits in.

I tend to agree and disagree (with CGC as opposed to Zeester). I do consider staple replacement restoration as something not original to the book has been introduced. (Not my sole criteria for restoration but a criteria anywayz).

Ad I agree 100000000000% about what Kenny says about th e stigma of the Purple Label. So many times we hear on the boards "buy the book not the label" but I think that purple color label stops many in their tracks. I cannot prove it but I doubt many would disagree that the same book, with staple replacement, in a Blue holder with a "staples replaced" notation would fetch more than the same book in a PLOD with the "staples replaced" notation.

So, in light of the info provided here, has anybody purchased a book where the grade was affected by a rusty staple(s) and just replaced the staple(s) and resubmitted, with the end results being a higher grade on a blue label?

bottom line......CGC exercises sole, subjective discretion when deciding the color of the label. I recently saw a HG pedigree book that had a Blue label with a note that a minor amount of color touch and dried glue were on the cover. Furthermore, CGC does not warrant or gurantee their restoration check.

I was curious about the same thing and happend to ask that question hours before this thread started. I just got my answer back and it was not what I expected. What do you think?

Replacing staples would be considered restoration.

Thank you,

Ali-Jae Asselstine

Customer Service Representative

Certified Guaranty Company, LLC

877-NM-COMIC (662-6642)

Well, what do we make of books that do not follow the statement provided by CGC?

I'm hesitant to list the title/issue of the book that caught my attention because of past problems regarding "tainting" a potential board members book during a sale process.

In any event, I personally will view the book as a PLOD although CGC clearly thought otherwise at the time.

I always understood that it was because nothing foreign was added to the book to restore it to a previous condition. Well at least not in terms of something that was not originally supposed to go on the book. Technically I suppose it could be viewed as a restorative procedure, but the book itself really has not been restored, just worked so they note that it was replaced on the label and let the buyer decide how they feel about it.

The sad part is if it was put in a purple label it would carry a stigma when it should not, because more then likely the staple was replaced as a preventative measure(rusted) and that should be viewed as a good thing no matter what color label it sits in.

I tend to agree and disagree (with CGC as opposed to Zeester). I do consider staple replacement restoration as something not original to the book has been introduced. (Not my sole criteria for restoration but a criteria anywayz).

Ad I agree 100000000000% about what Kenny says about th e stigma of the Purple Label. So many times we hear on the boards "buy the book not the label" but I think that purple color label stops many in their tracks. I cannot prove it but I doubt many would disagree that the same book, with staple replacement, in a Blue holder with a "staples replaced" notation would fetch more than the same book in a PLOD with the "staples replaced" notation.

Here's what I want CGC to do;

Keep the PLOD for books that have non-removable or appearance-driven work done. Amateur colour touch, cleanings, trimming, reglossing, etc. These books get a purple"Restored" label.

Put books that have been conserved or professionally restored - i.e. staples replaced, tear seals, professional colour touch, japan paper etc - in a new label... a "Restored" blue.

I'm not sure what the final answer should be, but it seems to me that some forms of work need to be "punished" - i.e. less market acceptance - more than others do

I think CGC are leaving a lot of money on the table by color-coding their slabs. Simply list whatever work was done to the book.

--I'm sure there are a ton of great slab-worthy books out there that the owners do not want PLODded, that's money CGC won't be seeing.

--If they eliminated PLODs and GLODs I bet they'd make a fortune on re-holdering submissions from people with non-universal labels.

It would also just look better collectively. I bet a lot of people have some really nice slabbed collections displayed, everything blue label except for that pesky #1 that may be beyond their means in unrestored condition.

Replacing staples would be considered restoration.

Thank you,

Ali-Jae Asselstine

Customer Service Representative

Certified Guaranty Company, LLC

877-NM-COMIC (662-6642)

So much for Ali-Jae . . . :whistle:

FF8CGCas.jpg

While it may not seem fair for some book's. Staple{s} being replaced is restoration. It is the same as CT in my eyes. You are improving the book's overall look. IMHO If a book receives a grade of 9.0 w/rusty staple{s}. If that staple{s} is replaced. The grade of the book would most likely go up a full point. Maybe a full point and a half. It would depend on how bad the rust was.

The price difference between the two grades can be a lot of money. Literally thousands+ on certain key book's. Just the same as a Plod vs. a Blue Label book value. Any book that has had the staple{s} replaced should be considered to be a restored book. If the replacement is done very well. The book may receive a Blue Label from The CGC.

The CGC does a great job at detecting restoration, IMHO. But no one is perfect. A few books may get by them. It isn't a lack of detection on these book's. It's a indication on a very well done job. I have never understood why book's of a certain age can have a very small amount of CT. Yet they receive the Blue Label!!! (shrug)

While it may not seem fair for some book's. Staple{s} being replaced is restoration. It is the same as CT in my eyes.

Actually, I disagree on this point. I view replacing rusty staples as "conservation", not restoration. This prevents rust migration to the paper and any further deterioration to the comic, and IMHO many instances mandate this as proper care for the book. Care should be also be taken to swap out the rusty staples with vintage staples from the same date and publisher/printer. :)