• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stuff of Legend #1 (1st print) NM+

25 posts in this topic

Well, since these seem to be going for about $15 + shipping on eBay now and is sold out most places, I thought I would pick up a couple copies and list them here for $10 plus $3.50 First Class shipping to the U.S. (Canada extra) via Paypal. All copies are in pristine unread condition. 2nd print has been announced.

Scan posted shortly.

Sorry, no more copies available Lebowski. Decided to run over to the shop before they close and even though they had a half dozen on the shelf still, they didn't want me picking up any more copies (but said they would order 2nd prints if I wanted them). I would understand if this came out today, but they've had over a dozen copies on the stand for a week now. Kind of expected it, when Walking Dead #33 came out I picked up a dozen copies from a stack of say 16, they weren't thrilled about that one either (but that didn't go anywhere in price so they really shouldn't have been upset about that one, if they want they can buy them back for the same price they sold them to me for? Like the shop anyway, good selection and they usually get everything in except what I collect which are Underground back issues). Oh well...

Isn't it a law that they can not refuse to sell something on a shelf, for sale? Unless they had already posted a notice that it was one per customer or some stuch rule.

How can they say you are not allowed to buy them off of the shelf? That has to be against the law. Just like they can not refuse to take a one hundred dollar bill to pay for a two dollar item. It is against the law. It is legal tender and they have to send someone out to get change if they have to.

If they have regular customers they want to hold or pull books for, then pull or hold the darn books. But not on the shelf where they are "for sale" to whomever has the moolah and wants them.

Disgusting.

Isn't it a law that they can not refuse to sell something on a shelf, for sale? Unless they had already posted a notice that it was one per customer or some stuch rule.

How can they say you are not allowed to buy them off of the shelf? That has to be against the law. Just like they can not refuse to take a one hundred dollar bill to pay for a two dollar item. It is against the law. It is legal tender and they have to send someone out to get change if they have to.

If they have regular customers they want to hold or pull books for, then pull or hold the darn books. But not on the shelf where they are "for sale" to whomever has the moolah and wants them.

Disgusting.

It's not - any private business can refuse to sell to anyone they choose as long as they're not discriminating based on sex, race, religion, etc.

Disgusting.

I don't think this is actually true, yes they have to take cash but they don't have to take a $100 bill. What if you're at a shop in the middle of nowhere or the only shop open in the area and they don't have change for a $100? They supposed to close the shop (if only 1 employee) and drive down the way to get you change (what if they don't have a license or car, take the bus?) Or they have to owe you the change later?

You going to the police and charge the shop with discrimination for not having enough money? You do know there was legal U.S. tender of $10,000 bills also? McDonald's is supposed to take your legal $10,000 bill there for a kiddie meal?

Parking meter only takes coins, you gonna file charges against the city for it not taking a $20 bill and not giving you change for it?

Then why is it designated as legal tender for all debts, public and private?

Additionally, I still believe that they have to accept any legal tender, regardless if it is a large bill or not and also that they have to sell you any item that is displayed "for sale" if you attempt to purchase it for the asking price.

I'm gonna have to look into those two things when I get the time. I know it seems like an inconvenience and even close to an impossibility for them to accomodate large bills. But hey. They are in business and as such, have to adapt their business practice to legal requirements! Now, they may say that you will have to come back tomorrow and we will sell you the item after we have made arraigments to accomodate your large bill and we will hold the item/s until that time.

I base this on many years ago when buses in Cincinnati installed coin receptors and required all passengers to have exact change to ride a bus. Someone sued and the courts found that the bus company had to accept paper money because it was designated as "legal tender for all debts, public and private".

This affected me personally back then and that is why I remember it so clearly.

Yep. When I get time, I'm going to look into this.

Sometimes normal and accepted practice and behavoir is not necessarily in accordance with the law. I know what precedence is, but how many times have you seen on CNN, someone pay off a bill or a bank, with one hundred thousand pennies, just to make a point. The bill collectors have to accept it. They can not require twenty dollar bills or a written check.

Nor can someone refuse to sell you something advertised or displayed for sale, without good reason and due cause. I'm just sure of it, but I can't prove it.....yet.

As to the parking meter situation, and things such as that. I experienced in court, a ticket given for non payment of a parking meter fee and the ticketed person argued in court that they did not have change at the time and went to get some, when the ticket was issued. They won. As a matter of fact, the Judge stated in his decision that it was contrary to legal commerce and society as a whole, to require someone to have to have change to commute and park in the city. He chatized the city for not making parking meters that would accept paper money, as do candy and soda pop machines.

I was not involved in the case but was sitting in the seats awaiting an upcoming different case. I was actually amazed with the Judges decision, and most of the other cops listening and watching said the Judge was just crazy.

But I thought he was right.

But society as a whole just ignores this situation because it is sooo much easier to do so. The law doesn't want to interfere with business and commerce, so it is ignored. Commerce makes the world go round.

As to the parking meter situation, and things such as that. I experienced in court, a ticket given for non payment of a parking meter fee and the ticketed person argued in court that they did not have change at the time and went to get some, when the ticket was issued. They won. As a matter of fact, the Judge stated in his decision that it was contrary to legal commerce and society as a whole, to require someone to have to have change to commute and park in the city. He chatized the city for not making parking meters that would accept paper money, as do candy and soda pop machines.

I was not involved in the case but was sitting in the seats awaiting an upcoming different case. I was actually amazed with the Judges decision, and most of the other cops listening and watching said the Judge was just crazy.

But I thought he was right.

But society as a whole just ignores this situation because it is sooo much easier to do so. The law doesn't want to interfere with business and commerce, so it is ignored. Commerce makes the world go round.

I think it's time to take off the tin-foil hat :makepoint:

Here's what the Department of Treasury says on the matter:

http://www.treas.gov/education/faq/currency/legal-tender.shtml

And the pertinent quote:

"There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills."

Additionally, I still believe [...] that they have to sell you any item that is displayed "for sale" if you attempt to purchase it for the asking price.

Don't let the facts get in the way of you believing what you want (thumbs u