• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HULK #181 sells for $18k

81 posts in this topic

But these $25K copies were also NOT perfectly centered, and as many on here have stated, few buyers even care about anything other than the CGC label.

As I mentioned in another thread, we will have a pretty solid data point on this book in a month. Pedigree has a 9.8 white perfectly centered in their august auction.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it close low or high. The market is just whacky. But the trend seems to be slightly downward for that book so we will see.

But a perfectly-centered, white paged copy should certainly hit at the very top of the GPA scale, right? So what's GPA high on a CGC 9.8 Hulk 181 over the past few years?

Pedigree closed at $26.5k for a centered 9.8 white. Guess Wolvie's still got it?...

So maybe I was right? :whistle:

Not sure what you think you were right about exactly but $26K for a 9.8 Hulk 181 is pretty strong given the amount of high grade copies extant. This is the perfect book to gauge what QP and PQ will do to the price point of high grade books that are readily available in high grade.

I believe that one of the Shuley brothers worked for a printer and would know the "ink answer". I'm not sure if he posts any longer.

DiceX also worked for a few publishers that used to print comics.

Pedigree closed at $26.5k for a centered 9.8 white. Guess Wolvie's still got it?...

Not sure what you think you were right about exactly but $26K for a 9.8 Hulk 181 is pretty strong given the amount of high grade copies extant. This is the perfect book to gauge what QP and PQ will do to the price point of high grade books that are readily available in high grade.

I think that book was nice also because it was recently graded and from an OO so hasn't changed hands a bunch of times. About as fresh and nice looking copy as you can get.

...unless there's another lot somewhere sitting in another warehouse...

I think that book was nice also because it was recently graded and from an OO so hasn't changed hands a bunch of times. About as fresh and nice looking copy as you can get.

...unless there's another lot somewhere sitting in another warehouse...

That was the perfect copy. Well centered, white pages and nice red (instead of orange) cover. It's tough to find with all those qualities.

(thumbs u

Guest Grails
:gossip: The color covers between X-Men #94 and Hulk #181 have nothing to do with their differences in 9.8. Different colors do not attract more or less physical wear.

Aside from the warehouse find, the busy-ness of artwork along the spine likely has more to do with it. Hulk #181 is a touch busier, which will hide a little better those all important tiny color breakers, plus the non-color breakers, that make or break a 9.8.

Not so according to a forumite who was a veteran in the print business (possibly our own DiceX, not sure?) and posted on the subject. If memory serves, he claimed that ink quality could vary and cited that "black" and/or "near black" inks commonly used in comic printing were (often) all the other color leftovers mixed together. For whatever exact reason (I can't recall) he stated that "fake black" ink mixtures were not as stable and durable.

"Black covers are tougher in high grade" is a myth. It's a myth that has since trickled down to any "dark" color, and, now, any "solid" color, across the spectrum.

Now, while I know about the "leftover ink" argument, that doesn't mean it happened all the time, and it would take extensive analysis...analysis that is probably not possible...to prove that argument. Was FF #112 printed with this "less durable" ink? How about Defenders #2? Tomb of Dracula #2? As well, ink quality varied to such an extent that blanket observations about any color cannot be made.

It CERTAINLY doesn't cover books like X-Men #94, which is green.

And it's certainly not true for the "high quality" pieces of printing masterworks that have been printed since the early 90's.

The reality is simple: wear is more visible in solid expanses of printed paper. When there is more linework, wear becomes harder to see.

That doesn't mean that it isn't there.

Of course, people will cite the "census", but CGC graders are just as susceptible to this myth as anyone else. I've seen books graded with 1/4" color breaking cover creases at 9.8..because those color breakers were on the white back cover, and thus were missed.

Some will respond with "well, it's the appearance that matters, and if it's not easy to see, it doesn't count", to which I say that's fine, but then we had better let everyone know that books aren't judged by how much wear they actually have, but how that wear APPEARS on the book.

Call me a kook, I understand that I'm in a minority, and I understand that many of you will think I'm a stupid fool for this, and I'm ok with that.

Frankly, I'm tired of seeing everyone and their brother tout endless "dark covered books" as "TOUGH IN HIGH GRADE!!!!!!" when that's simply not true any more than other-colored books of the same quality and era.

I'll join you in the minority. I would hope that the CGC graders downgrade each defect the same regardless of the covers color. A crease on a white cover is still a crease and should be detectable by CGC even if we can't see it with the naked eye.

Not sure what you think you were right about exactly but .........

I was referring to my original post that started this thread, when a copy sold for $18k, and I pointed out a perfect copy could fetch $25k again, here is my original post:

The latest Hulk #181 in CGC 9.8 has sold on ebay for $18,100

I recall someone around here stating this book had peaked because sales were not hitting the $25k level anymore.

However ............. this latest sale was for a OW-W copy ........ not a white copy.

It also has a slight mis-wrap.

I think if a perfectly wrapped white page copy was put up for sale we could easily see it sell for $25k again

and here i am sitting with 400 buck 6.0 lol =)
and I bet the cover artwork and interior are the same on your copy as the others... maybe not quite as pretty to look at, but a whole lot more economical (thumbs u

and here i am sitting with 400 buck 6.0 lol =)
and I bet the cover artwork and interior are the same on your copy as the others... maybe not quite as pretty to look at, but a whole lot more economical (thumbs u

no lie lol

its works for me :cloud9:

Not sure what you think you were right about exactly but .........

I was referring to my original post that started this thread, when a copy sold for $18k, and I pointed out a perfect copy could fetch $25k again, here is my original post:

The latest Hulk #181 in CGC 9.8 has sold on ebay for $18,100

I recall someone around here stating this book had peaked because sales were not hitting the $25k level anymore.

However ............. this latest sale was for a OW-W copy ........ not a white copy.

It also has a slight mis-wrap.

I think if a perfectly wrapped white page copy was put up for sale we could easily see it sell for $25k again

Just remember that if I disagree with you its only because you are wrong. :baiting:

But these $25K copies were also NOT perfectly centered, and as many on here have stated, few buyers even care about anything other than the CGC label.

I think more and more buyers are starting to look at page quality on their purchases.

White page books consistently sell for higher prices across the board it seems to me, regardless of the era.

I have offered bronze books to other board members that were OW-W and was told they would have bought them but they only buy white page books. This was for bronze books mind you, not moderns.

And C-OW is turning into a pariah it seems, especially for bronze books.

I argee,I have seen some auctions that they will have two key bronze age books of the same grade,but the one with WP gets more bids and money than the one with OW-W.

Bruce is right, it was DiceX that provided reason why black covered books are more fragile...and thus, rarer in high grade:

Black ink that was commonly used to print comics, was recycled ink.

The ink was very cheap and often will print with varying quality.

Even though it may look normal when printed, recycled black will often show signs of flaking or cracking after time.

The ink is made of waste ink of *all* colors (black, cyan, magenta, yellow) and ran through filters to remove the impurities.

Even so, it retains a fine sandy grit that can't be removed.

Here's the link from Andrew's original post, almost 5 years ago to the day!

"The black cover myth....." thread.

The latest 9.8 copy has sold for $21,252 on Comiclink

This WAS a white page copy BUT it has a mis-wrap

There is just too much white on that spine, but at least the cover is not crooked

This further confirms there are a lot of people in this world that are willing to pay $18k+ for this book in 9.8, that is 3 copies in 9.8 now sold in a short period of time for between $18k and $26k