• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So was Chicago really bad this year??? No post in GA?, no pics?

127 posts in this topic

scrooge posted a few books in the "cigar" thread, I think most folks were still at the con today. I got back home (Kentucky) about 5:00 eastern, but have been too busy to post anything yet, but I had a wonderful con, and picked up a few books. :shy:

I didn't bring a camera to the show, but I can at least comment on my impression of the Golden Age selection at the show. I attended the show Friday primarily with the intention of looking for a place to consign some of my books. I met up with Stephen Ritter at the Worldwide Comics booth, and I consigned a book to him. He had a nice Phantom Lady #13 that I have had my eye on for some time. I consigned a few books to Joe at JHV on Friday too, and I consigned the other few books that I had brought with me to the con. He had a nice slabbed Jumbo that he had the previous year. Both quality guys.

For the first time that I can ever recall, there were multiple empty tables at the show on Friday. I had previously contacted WW Chicago to inquire how much it would cost to purchase a booth, in hopes of raising some $ buy selling my collection for my car. I couldn't afford the $950 for a table. Seeing that there were several empty tables, I stopped by the registration booth to see if I could purchase a table at a discount. Was told that a disounted table wouldn't be fair to those that paid full price, which I fully respect and understand.

As I was waiting at the registration booth, r1970d (Roy) approached me. He told me about an amazing book that he had missed out on, He has his own thread about that in general, so I will let him share the details if that is his perrogative.

Met up with George (1koko) while checking out some books at another seller's booth, and we talked about his amazing collection. I had spoken to him at length at Bedrock's booth last year, so I knew that he was a major mack daddy in our hobby for collecting major Golden Age Keys. Discovered through talking to him this year that he has books in his collection that I could only dream of owning one day. Simply amazing, Rick (tec27kid) stopped over, and we was awesome enough to give me his opinion on 2 books that I was considering. He was in agreement with my assessment on grade on 1 book, and he and George pointed out a defect that I had overlooked on another. Found out that Rick owns an absolute droolworthy pedigree of a major GA key. (worship)

Paid a visit to Richard Evans at the Bedrock City booth, and I spent some time admiring three of his slabbed GA books. He had a Mile High Pedigree copy of Ellery Queen, a CGC 7.0 copy of Crime Reporter #3, and a CGC 9.0 copy of the Headlight Bruce Gentry cover.

Spoke to Ted at Superworld and admired 3 raw books that he had on display. He had quite a nice copy of Wings #90, along with 2 nice appearing All Tops.

Dale Roberts had a Phantom Lady issue that I had once owned (not the exact copy) in similiar grade. We discussed a possible trade for a book that I owned, but the trade would not have worked out well in my favor. His display was quite impressive.

Near the end of the day on Friday, I approached a dealer that had books on the table but no comic book rack behind the table about the possiblity of setting up my rack with my GGA collection. Worked out a consignment deal on amicabble terms.

On Saturday and Sunday I was set up at Capt. Jack's booth in the 2300 isle (located around a bunch of toys and extremely cheap books). Several board members stopped over to visit and admire, as did an Overstreet Advisor (Walter), the crew from comiclink, and a few dealers. I was pretty tied down to my booth the last 2 days, so I didn't get much of any opportunity to venture out on Saturday and Sunday. My friend (wingman) was supposed to take a picture of my comic rack on Saturday, but it turns out that he forgot doh!

Was glad that I got a chance to set up a wall of slabbed GGA books, but it was a bit awkward because I didn't own any of the books on the actual tables - just on the rack. For the first time in perhaps ever, high grade copies of Brenda Starr #14, Seven Seas #3 & #4, All Top #8 & #16, Jo-Jo #8(9), Phantom Lady #15 thru #18 + #22 thru #23, Crime Reporter #2, Saint #1, etc. were all on display one comic rack at a big show :)

A good portion of the people were mainly interested in Moderns in the table boxes or the dealer's rack of discounted Silver Age. There were requests for major Silver Age books such as Showcase #4, FF1, and FF5 in VF/8.0.

In conclusion. First major show that I can recall going to with so many empty tables. The overall selection of Golden Age was a bit on the slim side, however, there were numerous #1 registry set GA books on display for a short time by yours truly.

Best,

Alex

scrooge posted a few books in the "cigar" thread, I think most folks were still at the con today. I got back home (Kentucky) about 5:00 eastern, but have been too busy to post anything yet, but I had a wonderful con, and picked up a few books. :shy:

(worship) on those "few" books :applause:

I had a great time at the show. Just got home a couple of hours ago, so won't be able to scan/post anything for a couple of days. As usual, looking through every single box in the hall pays off lol

Oh, and Alton's purchase... (worship)

Even without pictures, that is one great report! Thanks! :applause: (thumbs u

Thx! My day on Sunday (today) would have been a nightmare if not for the help of 2 helpful board members. Steve (143ksk) was kind enough to watch my booth in the morning so I could park my car, and bomber-bob watched it in the afternoon for a bit so I could go the bathroom and pick up a book that I had graded by CGC. I gave them Kudos in the selling forum as well, but I thought each of these individuals should be singled out for their amazing character (thumbs u

Thx! My day on Sunday (today) would have been a nightmare if not for the help of 2 helpful board members. Steve (143ksk) was kind enough to watch my booth in the morning so I could park my car, and bomber-bob watched it in the afternoon for a bit so I could go the bathroom and pick up a book that I had graded by CGC. I gave them Kudos in the selling forum as well, but I thought each of these individuals should be singled out for their amazing character (thumbs u

I was there all day Sat and Today. Wish I would have ran into you. Maybe next time.

DRX

Me too. The fact that you didn't see me, I think, speaks a bit to the obscurity of the location of the booth. I was on the complete opposite end of the hall where a person would expect to find the kind of books I had on display :)

I was there all day Sat and Today. Wish I would have ran into you. Maybe next time.

DRX

I was there Thursday and Friday and picked up some nice Jumbos and Jungles from Ted at Superworld. I made a thread in the General section. Here's the books I got.

CIMG0394.jpg

I was there Thursday and Friday and picked up some nice Jumbos and Jungles from Ted at Superworld. I made a thread in the General section. Here's the books I got.

CIMG0394.jpg

Those are some nice Fiction House books. Nice Score!

Thanks. I picked up a couple of earlier Jumbos that looked really nice. The covers looked just a little odd, though, so I showed them to Steve Borock. He and Matt Nelson agreed the covers were glued to the staples. doh! Ted at Superworld took them back with no problem, though.

BTW, if anyone took pictures of the celebrities, I would love to see them. I shook hands with Ted Debiase (The Million Dollar Man), but for the most part, it seemed to me that they were there to get paid for the autographs. I didn't want to get pressured into paying $20-$30 for an autograph that I really didn't need :P

What didja get?? :juggle:

Wizard got a lot of vendors and comic companies mad on how they ran this years show. The artist were all cool, some celebrities were not so pleasent to meet because of my guess from dumb people; like Mr. Ferrigno who was very upset when I met him on the last day of the show, costumes alway cool, and ton of great books like always.

Ooooohhhh ... there's one book in there you won't want to miss ... :devil:

Ooooohhhh ... there's one book in there you won't want to miss ... :devil:

Ditto.