• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So was Chicago really bad this year??? No post in GA?, no pics?

127 posts in this topic

Picked this wonderful copy up. Spine split keeps it at 4.5/5.0 but colors are strong. Dale Roberts had this at his booth. Sweet.

Chicago09022.jpg

Picked this wonderful copy up. Spine split keeps it at 4.5/5.0 but colors are strong. Dale Roberts had this at his booth. Sweet.

Chicago09022.jpg

Roy, I didn't see that you had this! (worship) great pickup !!!

Picked it up late Sunday. Dale had someone sell it to him midway through the con and I was eying it the entire time. Love it!

Chicago09022.jpg

It was good meeting you this weekend Alton. I knew you were a man after my own heart. Completely blows by that junky Timely book to say congrats on the Supes. (thumbs u

Chicago09022.jpg

Picked it up late Sunday. Dale had someone sell it to him midway through the con and I was eying it the entire time. Love it!

can't really see the spine split, is it between the staples? very nice.

Chicago09022.jpg

It was good meeting you this weekend Alton. I knew you were a man after my own heart. Completely blows by that junky Timely book to say congrats on the Supes. (thumbs u

The only thing that salvages our friendship is that you topped me taking a box of Coronas from a cart last year by bringing a cooler of cold beer into the hotel lobby at 3 am this year. If it were not for that we'd be at war.

:insane:

can't really see the spine split, is it between the staples? very nice.

About 1.25 long down the spine from the top.

Thought I would share a few observations from the viewpoint of a potential customer. I flew up Friday morning, spent the day at the show, and flew home Friday night. I've done this one day whirlwind a couple of other times, but have not been to this con since 2000.

I had 5 comics that I brought with me to have Matt Nelson evaluate. Matt was great and I enjoyed talking to him.

Stopped by one dealer's booth and when he noted my briefcase, he asked if I had comics that I wanted to sell. I politely told him that I wasn't selling anything, that I had just brought some books for Matt to look at, and it was like a door slammed at that point. He didn't say another word, didn't ask if I wanted to look at any books on his rack, or anything. Just turned his back and walked away. It was sort of weird... like I had offended him by not offering to sell him my books.

At another booth, the dealer's wife stood about 3 feet away from me while I was going through his boxes and watched me like a hawk. Now I can understand the need for theft prevention and I don't begrudge anybody taking precautions with their inventory, but it became almost uncomfortable after about 10 minutes. I'm talking like staring daggers at me to the point I wanted to turn and say, "WHAT?!"

At another booth with some high grade GA books, I asked to see a couple books up on the wall. The dealer inquired about what price range books I was looking for and I answered honestly that I didn't have a specific price point. After looking at the pair, I thanked the dealer and handed the books back. He actually snorted, like "Yeah, I knew you didn't have the juice to buy one of these." Of course, I'm standing there with a Detective #38, a Flash #1, a More Fun #54, a Whiz #25, and a Mystic #3 in my briefcase, so while I may not be running with the real big dogs, I ain't exactly dredging the 50 cent boxes either.

I get the impression that if you are not well known in the community that you may not get the best deals and may not garner a certain level of customer service. On the one hand, it was nice to come home with a couple of nice pickups and on the other hand, it was disappointing to come home with so much of my money unspent. Oh well, there's always online auctions.

Chicago09022.jpg

lol you know, I didn't even notice that I'd done that, it was great meeting you as well Transplant. hope to see you next time.

Thought I would share a few observations from the viewpoint of a potential customer. I flew up Friday morning, spent the day at the show, and flew home Friday night. I've done this one day whirlwind a couple of other times, but have not been to this con since 2000.

I had 5 comics that I brought with me to have Matt Nelson evaluate. Matt was great and I enjoyed talking to him.

Stopped by one dealer's booth and when he noted my briefcase, he asked if I had comics that I wanted to sell. I politely told him that I wasn't selling anything, that I had just brought some books for Matt to look at, and it was like a door slammed at that point. He didn't say another word, didn't ask if I wanted to look at any books on his rack, or anything. Just turned his back and walked away. It was sort of weird... like I had offended him by not offering to sell him my books.

At another booth, the dealer's wife stood about 3 feet away from me while I was going through his boxes and watched me like a hawk. Now I can understand the need for theft prevention and I don't begrudge anybody taking precautions with their inventory, but it became almost uncomfortable after about 10 minutes. I'm talking like staring daggers at me to the point I wanted to turn and say, "WHAT?!"

At another booth with some high grade GA books, I asked to see a couple books up on the wall. The dealer inquired about what price range books I was looking for and I answered honestly that I didn't have a specific price point. After looking at the pair, I thanked the dealer and handed the books back. He actually snorted, like "Yeah, I knew you didn't have the juice to buy one of these." Of course, I'm standing there with a Detective #38, a Flash #1, a More Fun #54, a Whiz #25, and a Mystic #3 in my briefcase, so while I may not be running with the real big dogs, I ain't exactly dredging the 50 cent boxes either.

I get the impression that if you are not well known in the community that you may not get the best deals and may not garner a certain level of customer service. On the one hand, it was nice to come home with a couple of nice pickups and on the other hand, it was disappointing to come home with so much of my money unspent. Oh well, there's always online auctions.

Come to the Cards, Comics, and Collectibles booth - either in Chicago or Baltimore - when I'm running it. You will NOT have this problem.

I was there Thursday and Friday and picked up some nice Jumbos and Jungles from Ted at Superworld. I made a thread in the General section. Here's the books I got.

CIMG0394.jpg

Very pretty. (thumbs u

Sure would be funny to see some dealer with as staircase setup like that at a show.

I had a similar experience at SDCC. Some dealers aren't friendly and couldn't be bothered saying hello or asking if they could help you. I was impressed with Dale Roberts, Detective27kid/NewForceComics, Superworld and Bedrock comics. Surprisingly they got all my money.

Personally, I like to be acknowledged when I go to a booth. As a seller at the show, I discovered saying hi to people appears to be an artform. People seem to have somewhat of a flee-response if you say "how's it going," "let me know if I can show you anything," or "are you looking for anything in particular."

Personally, I like to be acknowledged when I go to a booth. As a seller at the show, I discovered saying hi to people appears to be an artform. People seem to have somewhat of a flee-response if you say "how's it going," "let me know if I can show you anything," or "are you looking for anything in particular."

I was at one booth where one of the look-outs came and stood right next to me and was actually breathing down my neck. I dont like someone staring at me and crowding me. I actually turned to him and said, " We cant look in the box at the same time, just wait till im done". He then moved over a couple steps but continued to stare at me. I just moved on. Imagine someone watching a respectable looking person like me. lol

DRX

Chicago was great for me. Sold several GA books, but was probably more of a SA show this year. Here are some of the significant GA books which I sold.....some to board members.

World's Finest #80, 84(not sure this qualifies, but close)

Rulah #24

Wow #11

Venus #9

Marvel Family #25

Weird Science #22

Exciting #41

Strange Tales #77

Green Lantern Comics #14

Planet #72

Wow #32

Master #95, 87

Whiz #95, 60, 98, 97, 108, 101

Human Torch #21, 31

Catman #14

Batman #95

All Winners #5

Wonder Woman #14, 23, 30

Star Spangled Comics #80

Superboy #41

Adventure #198, 174

Action #208

Superman #68

Superman #3

Pep #20

Rulah #21????

Adventure Comics #115

and there was some other stuff as well.....All in all, a pretty good con.

I was at one booth where one of the look-outs came and stood right next to me and was actually breathing down my neck. I dont like someone staring at me and crowding me. I actually turned to him and said, " We cant look in the box at the same time, just wait till im done". He then moved over a couple steps but continued to stare at me. I just moved on. Imagine someone watching a respectable looking person like me. lol

DRX

You are cool in my book (thumbs u

Come to the Cards, Comics, and Collectibles booth - either in Chicago or Baltimore - when I'm running it. You will NOT have this problem.

These 2 scenarios befuddle me. I can't imagine someone trying to sell books who acts in this manner. I can understand people watching for theft, because it can be a problem. I lost a 400.00 Planet comic this weekend.

These 2 scenarios befuddle me. I can't imagine someone trying to sell books who acts in this manner. I can understand people watching for theft, because it can be a problem. I lost a 400.00 Planet comic this weekend.

I have observed similar problems during my visits to comic shops and shows. Since I am older than most of the people that I deal with, it isn't an age problem. Perhaps the problems with theft have made some of the dealers overly cautious. If you bring comics for people to look at, it might make someone think that you are selling and they are offended if you don't sell to them. I think it just seems like a missed opportunity or the adrenaline builds up when they come in for the kill and they lose control when the buying frenzy is aborted. One dealer that I worked with has refused to talk to me for over 10 years although he graciously allowed me to talk to his business partner (they have broken up their alliance recently).

One of my friends told me that if you want to stay in the business for a long time, then you have to like people. I think you have to respect them too and believe that they aren't just hopeless geeks. They may have lives and children to support and jobs and a hopeless addiction to collecting old "junk" that aren't really appreciated by the majority of people unless dollar signs are attached. I enjoy having comics and badges and sorting through them and reading them and smelling them. And swimming through them and diving like Uncle Scrooge in his money bin.

Don't give the comics away, customers should be watched since they can damage the comics if they are not handled carefully. Time is money when you are in business but establishing a good relationship with trust and friendliness can improve business. rantrant