• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could buy any 5 books, and sell in exactly 10 years. Which 5 and why?

110 posts in this topic

Title says it all. Just curious what books you guys would pick - which ones would hold their value or are currently undervalued, etc. The goal here would be for the best return on investment in % terms (I know we all have our sentimental favorites, etc). I decided to change it from $ terms to % terms because relatively small $ gains in the highest priced books (ie. Action 1, Tec 27, etc) would trump huge $ gains in lower priced books.

So, what "portfolio" of 5 books would have the best % gain in 10 years?

I chose 5 books because it's not too few, not too many. I chose 10 years because I think most of us will still be around collecting (God willing :wishluck:) but it's long enough to phase out any current hype and bring out value in some books which may not currently be in the spotlight.

Heck, maybe in 10 years, we can dig up this thread and see if we were right or wrong.

Action 1, Tec 27, Bats 1, FF 1, AF 15. Barring unforeseen changes in the market, I imagine they'll hold a decent value over the next 10 years.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u (thumbs u

For GA, I like Action 1 and Tec 27. Can't beat those. I would add in Batman 1 because of the stronger franchise.

For SA, I like X-Men 1 and Hulk 1. I think those are more undervalued right now than FF 1 and just as hard or harder to find in high grade.

BA, nothing of course. Too plentiful and prices have appreciated way too much relative to GA and SA.

Action 1, Tec 27, Bats 1, FF 1, AF 15, wow that would be a heck of a nice collection. But how about a sub $1000 top 5. Books that you would not be afraid of storing in your house, for fear of a home invasion.

FF#5? Really? Over books like Action #1, FF#1, etc?

Yes, because those two keys have already enjoyed a very large increase over the last 2 years. I see FF #1 comparatively plateauing for the next decade to even out the very large gains from the last two years and as it gets closer to Showcase 4-type status, and Action 1 is already at such a high stratosphere that the cost of entry for it can't just keep going up indefinitely, whereas the gap between Detective 27 and Action 1 will keep getting narrower.

All the keys will "hold value," the thread's question is which have the most room for growth.

In terms of % gain, it would not be too hard for these moderns to jump in value when the movie is released, next big project by the creator announced, and/or the anime movement moves more into goth.

Walking Dead 1, Vampirella 1 or 113, Y Last Man 1, Goon 1, Miracleman 1 Gold

I would find 5 high grade 9.8 niche books that haven`t peaked yet and would stay away from books that are allready well known as most have peaked and prices are way to high. remember this is for to sell in 10 years as op suggested and not this year or in the next 5, if that was the case my answer would be completely different.

Hmmmm? Everyone seems to be picking five and six figure books... I think I'll go with lower-end books, (relatively speaking...), that I actually have a chance to purchase and resell.

1. Captain America comics 74 in almost any grade - Classic example of high-demand and very short supply. I believe someone told me this was a Gerber 8, but I may be mistaken on that. Regardless, you can almost never find a copy for sale and when you do it's not cheap. Recently saw a raw 1.8 sell for 1000 bucks on ebay.

2. Showcase 22 - Book is really starting to sizzle due to the movie, but it was due for a serious price correction anyway. Rare book in high-grade and demand is skyrocketing. I think the demand will still be there in 10 years but the high-grade books will be sucked into large collections.

3. Detective 31 - Probably the best Bats cover ever, highly sought after, and low census numbers to boot. Prices aren't going anywhere but up.

4. FF1 (lower grades.) - This book STILL can be had in the 3.0 range for less than two grand. (I know because that's what I paid...) How is that possible? Still trails ASM 1 in price, somehow. This won't last forever...

5. Timely's with the big three... - Any Timely with one of the big three in it, (Cap, Torch or Subby...), slabbed or raw, high-grade or low grade is in high demand. This wont change over the next 10 years because the supply wont get any better and demand continues to increase. Timely's are outpacing the overstreet prices today by anywhere from 1.5 to 10 times guide.

Hmmmm? Everyone seems to be picking five and six figure books... I think I'll go with lower-end books, (relatively speaking...), that I actually have a chance to purchase and resell.

1. Captain America comics 74 in almost any grade - Classic example of high-demand and very short supply. I believe someone told me this was a Gerber 8, but I may be mistaken on that. Regardless, you can almost never find a copy for sale and when you do it's not cheap. Recently saw a raw 1.8 sell for 1000 bucks on ebay.

2. Showcase 22 - Book is really starting to sizzle due to the movie, but it was due for a serious price correction anyway. Rare book in high-grade and demand is skyrocketing. I think the demand will still be there in 10 years but the high-grade books will be sucked into large collections.

3. Detective 31 - Probably the best Bats cover ever, highly sought after, and low census numbers to boot. Prices aren't going anywhere but up.

4. FF1 (lower grades.) - This book STILL can be had in the 3.0 range for less than two grand. (I know because that's what I paid...) How is that possible? Still trails ASM 1 in price, somehow. This won't last forever...

5. Timely's with the big three... - Any Timely with one of the big three in it, (Cap, Torch or Subby...), slabbed or raw, high-grade or low grade is in high demand. This wont change over the next 10 years because the supply wont get any better and demand continues to increase. Timely's are outpacing the overstreet prices today by anywhere from 1.5 to 10 times guide.

Right now its a good bet but in 10 years who knows?

you have to take in these factors for consideration, in 10 years geoff johns will not be writing Green Lantern(his writing has fueled green lantern mania) and we do not know if the movie will be good like dark knight or bomb like the Spirit.

as short term 2 to 3 years showcase 22 is they pick but in 10 years who knows?

you really can't have this discussion separate from grade. a 4.0 and a 9.6 have completely different prospects (not sure which is safer, btw lol )

Personally I think its a challenge these days to find much undervalued that has room for growth (which says something in and of itself, doesn't it?) but I will agree that xmen 1 seems cheap relative to the other marvel keys.

Honestly I'd just keep my money instead of buying the five keys.

In terms of % gain, it would not be too hard for these moderns to jump in value when the movie is released, next big project by the creator announced, and/or the anime movement moves more into goth.

I would call that ultra speculative penny comics investing!

I'm sure some people are thinking "but if you could buy ANY 5 books, you wouldn't buy these!" I believe you'd have to assume buying multiple copies of books like these--it's possible that buying a hundred copies of Vampirella 1 could yield more over a 10-year span than a single Detective 27.