• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tecc 33 in Comiclink Exchange

46 posts in this topic

Was the book taped when it was in the PGX holder?

I can't remember.

Interestingly the notes on the PGX label don't mention tape. From the picture of the book in the PGX label though the piece of tape that is on the cover of the book in the CGC label was also present when the book was sitting in the PGX label.

I for one would always opt for the CGC label regardless of grade. If ever it needed to be sold, you would optimize the value as it was graded by CGC. With PGX the grade will be always open for interpretation + their track record identifying resto is a shoot meh

I see that the Crippen Tec #31 is coming up in Heritage's October auction.

:o

5.5 is probably a little out of my range, unfortunately. I would LOVE to own that book...thoughts on what that book hammers at??

a LOT :insane:

I am hoping 1koko will go after it and toss his undercopy to me :wishluck:

5.5 is probably a little out of my range, unfortunately. I would LOVE to own that book...thoughts on what that book hammers at??

I was hoping the same :baiting:

I've never understood CGC's position on this either. It doesn't make sense. You can put gobs of tape all over the book and get a blue label, but just a little bit of glue and you get the dreaded PLOD.

______________________________________________________________________________________

It isn't "CGC's position", but rather the position of the hobby as a whole. Tape has been "grandfathered" in as an acceptable way to fix a book. We can all agree that glue is restoration/preservation, but tape has always been considered a defect to be downgraded for.

West

I've never understood CGC's position on this either. It doesn't make sense. You can put gobs of tape all over the book and get a blue label, but just a little bit of glue and you get the dreaded PLOD.

______________________________________________________________________________________

It isn't "CGC's position", but rather the position of the hobby as a whole. Tape has been "grandfathered" in as an acceptable way to fix a book. We can all agree that glue is restoration/preservation, but tape has always been considered a defect to be downgraded for.

West

sounds reasonable

I was hoping the same :baiting:

:slapfight:

West

Frankly I don't think the position of the hobby argument makes much sense. Why isn't glue that was applied many years ago "grandfathered" in? Why does Tape get the bye that it does, but not glue? It is obvious that both products are being used for the exact same purpose when they are applied to a comic book. :screwy:

West

Regardless of who's position it is slapping 6 pieces of tape on a centerfold [ IMO ] seems a lot more obtrusive and leaning towards resto/preservation than just a defect? I think the hobby needs to re-think this because at the end of the day its just bad for the book(s) and if CGC encourages it we will see more frankenbooks just so people can obtain blue labels [all the wrong reasons to do this]. I'd much rather have a detached cover than see a book laced with tape from end to end along the spine.

Just to add this is a perfect example of where I'd like to see CGC use their considerable infleunce to effect change for the long term good of the hobby. I'm glad to see that Matt and Kenny have decided to no longer offer this service.

Many will go after it.

:cool:

Many will go after it.

:cool:

very likely, but if 1koko goes after it, he will win (thumbs u

West

Frankly I don't think the position of the hobby argument makes much sense. Why isn't glue that was applied many years ago "grandfathered" in? Why does Tape get the bye that it does, but not glue? It is obvious that both products are being used for the exact same purpose when they are applied to a comic book. :screwy:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe MMM has a more influential lobby? (shrug)