• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Walking Dead Movie

99 posts in this topic

I just found this and was a little surprised by the choice for directing.

AMC is close to finalizing one of the richest development deals ever with Frank Darabont to write and direct a series adaptation of the Image Comics graphic novel series "The Walking Dead," written by Robert Kirkman.

Variety says that Gale Anne Hurd of Valhalla Motion Pictures and David Alpert of Circle of Confusion are also on board to executive produce.

The story is set among a group of zombie survivors of an apocalypse who are led by a police officer, Rick Grimes, in search of a safe place to live.

AMC Senior Vice President of Programming Joel Stillerman said the series will stay faithful to the tone of the original novels. "This is not about zombies popping out of closets. This is a story about survival, and the dynamics of what happens when a group is forced to survive under these circumstances. The world (in 'Walking Dead') is portrayed in a smart, sophisticated way."

It will be Return of the Jedi..meets, honey I shrunk the kids..meets Flight of the navigator..meets From Dusk til' Dawn...meets Indiana Jones...meets Sisterhood of the traveling Pants (The good one, not the wanabee second one)...meets The Notebook (the first part of the story, not the second part with the old nasty lady going nuts)...meets X-men 2 (The part where Nightcrawler goes into the White House and Magneto's Escape parts) meets... Little Miss Sunshine (The part where the Grandpa' is getting high off his in the bathroom)...yeah..yeah..that sums it up.. it will be good!!

If it's anything like the book, we all will be asleep 10 minutes after he loses his arm. Walking dead get's my vote for

"Best coulda'been book"

doh!

You need to get about fixing your 'best coulda-been business'.

I don't think the network could make it bad..cheap networks need something to get an audience..just look at that show with that crazy lady with 8 kids, it's in a random network, and it's the only show people tune in to watch..

If it's anything like the book, we all will be asleep 10 minutes after he loses his arm. Walking dead get's my vote for

"Best coulda'been book"

doh!

You need to get about fixing your 'best coulda-been business'.

c1cd2c6b18b3cd4063ee4e2d10a96ed3.gif

I think this is a brilliant move for the franchise.

I am certain this was pitched to HBO, but they are the king daddies of cutting edge, critically acclaimed cable tv, so I am sure they would want more control about creative decisions about the series, (see Deadwood).

Many people might be shaking their heads at AMC, but I would surmise that they haven't heard of Breaking Bad, a show on the network starring Bryan Cranston (dad from Malcom in the Middle) that is about a high school teacher who becomes a meth maker and dealer to deal with financial hardship. The show is nominated for 5 emmys this year.

Also AMC has been very critically successful with Mad Men.

More and more cable networks are pushing the envelope in regards to content, trying to emulate HBO and Showtime and get in on milking the cash cow of subject matter that is hot, hip, and current.

F/X was the first to do it with adult themed shows like Rescue Me, Nip/Tuck, Damages, and Sons of Anarchy and now AMC is following suit in pursuing the demographics that enjoy high quality, out of the box programming.

Frank Darabont is an excellent choice to bring Kirkman's vision to the screen. The chance is there for him to hit it out of the park with this one, acknowledging the rabid fandom that follows the series. Darabont could blow up so large from doing this series that he will probably be shooting King's Dark Tower series after doing the Walking Dead.

I really have high hopes for this adaptation. AMC will probably let the director Darabont and producer Hurd keep it close to Kirkman's vision, due to their keen ability to recognize critically successful programming.

The Walking Dead on AMC is going to be huge...

I think this is a brilliant move for the franchise.

I am certain this was pitched to HBO, but they are the king daddies of cutting edge, critically acclaimed cable tv, so I am sure they would want more control about creative decisions about the series, (see Deadwood).

Many people might be shaking their heads at AMC, but I would surmise that they haven't heard of Breaking Bad, a show on the network starring Bryan Cranston (dad from Malcom in the Middle) that is about a high school teacher who becomes a meth maker and dealer to deal with financial hardship. The show is nominated for 5 emmys this year.

Also AMC has been very critically successful with Mad Men.

More and more cable networks are pushing the envelope in regards to content, trying to emulate HBO and Showtime and get in on milking the cash cow of subject matter that is hot, hip, and current.

F/X was the first to do it with adult themed shows like Rescue Me, Nip/Tuck, Damages, and Sons of Anarchy and now AMC is following suit in pursuing the demographics that enjoy high quality, out of the box programming.

Frank Darabont is an excellent choice to bring Kirkman's vision to the screen. The chance is there for him to hit it out of the park with this one, acknowledging the rabid fandom that follows the series. Darabont could blow up so large from doing this series that he will probably be shooting King's Dark Tower series after doing the Walking Dead.

I really have high hopes for this adaptation. AMC will probably let the director Darabont and producer Hurd keep it close to Kirkman's vision, due to their keen ability to recognize critically successful programming.

The Walking Dead on AMC is going to be huge...

Very well said ! (thumbs u