• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Pack Your Books For Shipping - by Boozad
12 12

586 posts in this topic

I know this has been discussed before but heres what I do. I wrap each bag ( no matter how many books are in it ) with a sheet of newspaper. Just like wrapping a present. I wrap it tight so theres no excess anywhere. Then I attach it with 2" packing tape on the corners at 45 degress across. That way the bundle cant slide side to side or top to bottom. Its going nowhere. Then I add the other piece of cardboard to complete the sandwich. This way no tape is stuck directly to the bag and it unwraps easily by the custome leaving the bag untouched. No hassle. Just my 2c.

DR.X

Might have to try that. I usually use a magazine bag. That way I can secure the comics (inside the mag bag) to the cardboard before sandwiching. That way the tape never comes into contact with the comic bag. Seems to work well enough.

I do the same thing. Works well for up to 10 or so books.

Offset the pieces of tape so as they don't get stuck to the pieces of tape holding the books to the first piece of card. Getting several layers of tape stuck together when opening a package can get very annoying.

I also fold one end of each piece of tape over to form a tab (on every single piece of tape used in the package), and mark out where to open. This isn’t because I think the recipient has issues, it’s just helpful. I hate scratching a pieces of tape stuck to cardboard for half an hour.

DSC01038.jpg

DSC01037.jpg

Offset the pieces of tape so as they don't get stuck to the pieces of tape holding the books to the first piece of card. Getting several layers of tape stuck together when opening a package can get very annoying.

I also fold one end of each piece of tape over to form a tab (on every single piece of tape used in the package), and mark out where to open. This isn’t because I think the recipient has issues, it’s just helpful. I hate scratching a pieces of tape stuck to cardboard for half an hour.

That's how I've packaged books for a few years now, and never had a complaint about damage. Smart-aleck comments about the "peel" note next to each area of the tape, but no damage complaints.

lol

I hate when someone tapes the book directly onto the board with just the bag and backing board. You're just asking for a book to be damaged during unpacking.

If you're having trouble sourcing packing peanuts for cheap I've always found that you can snag a pile of phone books at your local recycling center during the yearly collection. If you have a garage, you have cheap packing material for the year. Wouldn't use it for anything really pricey, but for a double box or volume- not bad.

The paper is also really good because it's soft and it forms easily, so you can square it off if you'd like around what you're shipping instead of wrapping with newsprint and the ink sets better, so it doesn't transfer like newsprint (so you and your package don't get all smudgy).

Yes, I understand someone will pull out that last quote and put it somewhere inappropriate, but such is life.

I recently mailed a package to Boozad. I do hope my packing skills meet his lofty expectations. :wishlulck:

From what I've heard, he has unwrapped your package in the past and was absolutely elated. (thumbs u

I recently mailed a package to Boozad. I do hope my packing skills meet his lofty expectations. :wishlulck:

From what I've heard, he has unwrapped your package in the past and was absolutely elated. (thumbs u

:signfunny:

Can we post non-packaging comments?

Here is another tip.

If you feel the urge to tape your books to the cardboard, please do not use packing/masking or painters tape. I get books sent to me that way all the time and I spend more time excavating the books out of the box/cardboard and yards of tape used than actually working on them.

Here is the best way.

Place books in another larger bag (already been said to death in this thread). Then tape that to the cardboard. A few pieces are enough. No need to wrap the entire bundle in packing tape. It will not undergo some kind of positive metamorphosis if wrapped that way.

If you really want to make sure books arrive safely double box them. Use a flat rate medium size box from the PO that can hold 40-50 raw books. Pack that box using packing peanuts on either side of the books for protection with added cardboard on the ends to keep them from sliding back and forth. Then place that box inside a diamond box you can get from your LCS. Doesn't get better than that for a safe trip.

I just made another graphic that shows a way to get all your packaging materials for free.

Using this method. you can mail hundreds of comics. One caveat is that you should probably only use this for sending things USPS. I feel it is entirely ethical to use free USPS stuff if the money is going right back into their pocket.

One other consideration: You might want to add additional cardboard around the comic, or put the comic inside extra plastic. Some people here have discussed taping down the comic so it doesn't slide around inside the package. All of these practices can be added to the following method, based on your preferences. Even so, if you use only what's shown here, the comic is protected by 3 layers of cardboard, which is pretty good.

comic-packaging-free.jpg

what do you guys think of using filefolders?.. put the comic inside the folder & then tape down & then two cardboards & then bubblewrap ?... Would that be good for shipping ?.. I have some 9.8/9.6 raws I want to ship off for signing ....

Picture012-2.jpg

Picture013-1.jpg

tape down, tape shut bubble wrap , tape put in box, more wrap in box ... (shrug)

Edited by synch

As a guy who's obtained a lot of signatures for other people at shows, I'd like to offer you some advice.

Make your own windowbags. If you don't know how, look in the signature room for a tutorial. Make your window large enough so the signature will have no problem fitting inside (it helps if you know roughly how big a person's signature first) but small enough so that you can "aim" the signature. Sometimes I have a large stack of books to get signed and the creator has to rush to get through them. If you make your own windowbag, even in a rush, he'll sign essentially where you want him to. Some people in the signature room get frustrated with poor signature location.

This goes right along with your thread of shipping because ultimately, you want your books protected. I recommend at least 2 backingboards on all windowbags. After all, these books are going to see a lot more action than most books that sit in a stationary box. These books may be grabbed, held, passed around, and in some cases thrown (I've seen it more than once :eek: ) in the course of getting a signature. Most signature series facilitators will windowbag your book once they get it. Having the books already prepped just reduces the amount of handling the book will require.

Finally, I'd say that if you have the bags available, include a larger bag contain your windowbag/boards/books. This way, the exposed area won't get scratched or come in contact with any tape that may be on the book in front of it. Plus, it makes it much easier during submission. CGC prefers that books be in regular bags/boards or top-loader mylars for submission, not windowbags. If you include the bag around your windowbag, you take away the additional step of switching from windowbag to normal bag. Again, the less handling your book sees, the better. For those who don't know, when a book gets submitted to CGC, they slab a sticky barcode to the front of the bag. I, for one, wouldn't like to tempt fate and submit a book in a windowbag only to have the mother of all tape pulls befall my precious book. :eek:

This just stems from the fact that I can't see any boards in the bags in the picture and since these are for a signed, I'd say there's still some prep work to be done.

Oh yeah those are just "practice" comics I took to show them inside the file folder to see what people thought of that idea... you have given me some things to think about though ...

The stuff I am sending in will be handled by GACollectibles & signed by joe hill .... So from the sounds of it I should ... Would a magazine bag?&board? be good for the larger bag ?.. I think a regular comic bag would fit into one of those ... GACollectibles said he would handle all the prep work him self but I guess I could do it just as well ... never thought about window or sig placement before ...

As a guy who's obtained a lot of signatures for other people at shows, I'd like to offer you some advice.

Make your own windowbags. If you don't know how, look in the signature room for a tutorial. Make your window large enough so the signature will have no problem fitting inside (it helps if you know roughly how big a person's signature first) but small enough so that you can "aim" the signature. Sometimes I have a large stack of books to get signed and the creator has to rush to get through them. If you make your own windowbag, even in a rush, he'll sign essentially where you want him to. Some people in the signature room get frustrated with poor signature location.

This goes right along with your thread of shipping because ultimately, you want your books protected. I recommend at least 2 backingboards on all windowbags. After all, these books are going to see a lot more action than most books that sit in a stationary box. These books may be grabbed, held, passed around, and in some cases thrown (I've seen it more than once :eek: ) in the course of getting a signature. Most signature series facilitators will windowbag your book once they get it. Having the books already prepped just reduces the amount of handling the book will require.

Finally, I'd say that if you have the bags available, include a larger bag contain your windowbag/boards/books. This way, the exposed area won't get scratched or come in contact with any tape that may be on the book in front of it. Plus, it makes it much easier during submission. CGC prefers that books be in regular bags/boards or top-loader mylars for submission, not windowbags. If you include the bag around your windowbag, you take away the additional step of switching from windowbag to normal bag. Again, the less handling your book sees, the better. For those who don't know, when a book gets submitted to CGC, they slab a sticky barcode to the front of the bag. I, for one, wouldn't like to tempt fate and submit a book in a windowbag only to have the mother of all tape pulls befall my precious book. :eek:

This just stems from the fact that I can't see any boards in the bags in the picture and since these are for a signed, I'd say there's still some prep work to be done.

Would this be the Kevin Boyd thread on prepping a book for signature series? It's helped me. (thumbs u My problem is finding the right size outer bags.

Most signature series books are moderns, so I use current sized bags and boards and put them inside silver bags whenever possible. If it's a silver-age book, I use a silver age bag and board and typically I find a mylar top-loader to keep it safe.