• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Pack Your Books For Shipping - by Boozad
12 12

586 posts in this topic

I use a 18x12x6 250 lb plain cardboard box, no markings, no anything. On 1-2 books, I put them back to back and then I use 5 48"x12" strips of 3/8" bubble. I wrap two strips in both directions and then cut the last piece in two and put it at the ends. It fills the box and then two strips of clear packing tape to close it off. Since I tape nothing in the inside, it makes it easy to unpack. As for shipping I use UPS and I have never had any thing damaged. I have shipping over 600 books this way.

The closest call I had was with a 10K book. The box was mangled almost beyond recognition but the book was safe and sound inside its bubble wrap.

I definitely do not write fragile, handle with care, or valuable on any box. In any case, human hands usually don't damage boxes with UPS. Most damage occurs on belts when heavy stuff hits think light stuff.

General Advice:

Never, ever put tape directly on a mylar or comic bag.

Wrap the comic/comics you are shipping in an outer bag or some newspaper before applying tape to secure it to the cardboard sandwich, to insure tape does not come into contact with the book.

Mylar snugs and Mylite2s are pretty rigid, and they will split during the rigors of shipping. Especially if there is room for the book to travel around inside. The book crashes against the edges and breaks the seam of the mylar, or just flops out the open edge. If the tape is directly on the Mylar, the book will come into contact with the tape.

^ Thanks.

I got all my comics inventoried finally. Going to sell over 4,400 of them.

I think I have an idea on boxes now after reading this thread. Man double boxing and shipping 100+ comic lots must have some expensive shipping.

Anyway, As for what goes in the box, I read newspaper, bubblewrap, packing peanuts, cardboard rectangles and I think that's it. I certainly dont wanna be one that doesn't do things proper after reading stuff in here. I ordered free bubble mailers but I kinda dont trust anything that can bend. Even with cardboard sandwich.

As for buying these things cheapest whats the way to get them? Cheapest place to get the cardboard, bubblewrap, and peanuts. As for cardboard squares I wanna make sure they are stiff too. I know some people said they cut up the priority boxes to use then someone else said some people were caught somehow using those. It was a older post so idk if thats still an issue or not. Is that something people still do now?

The only thing I ever buy is tape. I order lots of books online, from here and eBay, and I always have way more packing materials coming in than going out. I also work in an office, so have access to unlimited boxes, cardboard and bubblewrap that will basically be tossed anyway. I could pull all I need out of the trash or recycling. I recommend you talk to your friends and find a cheap/free source of supply, like someone who works in receiving at an office. Liquor stores are also a great place for raw cardboard if you want to cut your own sandwiches.

There are sources of supply, like U-Line for boxes and stuff. PM FlyingDonut or someone else that sells bulk around here for those sources.

I've been refining some of my shipping opinions, and I'm pretty much sold on those small, light u-line boxes that JSComics' uses from ebay. They look too small and flimsy, but I've rec'd hundreds of shipments from them, and the boxes hardly ever have even a small ding on them. And that's from New Jersey to Oregon. I'm thinking that they may be too small to receive the rough treatment priority boxes and envelopes receive. They are also very light, so you can ship 1-3 books first class instead of priority - just keep the weight from going over 13 ounces. You could try contacting them for info, or just order a book from them and see how it is packaged. They don't even use cardboard sandwiches - they just put the books with backing boards in a larger snug bag, then cover with large bubblewrap, and place in the box.

Anyone have a solid yet cheap way to ship CGC graded books?

Order free 1092 and 1095 Priority boxes from the USPS. Place the slab inside some packing material (bubble wrap of bubble pak), then put into the 1092. Put a little bit of bubble wrap in the bottom of the 1095 and drop the 1092 into it. Add a bit of bubble wrap at the top and seal up the 1095. The slab should not have any room to slide around. This should just be at or under 2 pounds. Avoids the flat rate fee and saves money shipping of one slab. If the recipient is close, the shipping gets cheaper.

For selling lots of maybe 100 comics that are modern NM ones that may range btwn 50 cents to $2 or so bucks each, should I double box those?

I was thinking maybe making 5-7 cardboard sandwiches for groups of say 15-20. Put in appropiate sized box with peanuts. Maybe wrap the cardboard sandwiches in 1 layer of bubblewrap.

Would I need to double box that? Or leave it like it is since the shipping will already be high and the comics themselves are lower priced?

Also, should I lay the sandwiches flat and stack them with peanuts in btwn and get a slightly taller box? Or stand them up with peanuts in btwn similar to how its done in a med flat rate box and get a slightly wider box?

Edited by bruce21wayne21

Little bit of an aside here, but I recently received a comic that was damaged during shipping/handling.

I have contacted the seller and waiting for a response.

As a buyer and seller, if a comic is damaged during shipping, and there is no insurance, is there any set way this plans out?

Or is it all up to the two parties to figure it out?

Thanks,

-- Dave

1. You send it back.

2. They refund your money.

3. Partial refunds are for dopes so just send it back.

OK; I'll wait to see what the seller says. Hopefully he/she doesn't give me hassle.

The pains of eBay - even if it's a good scan, the seller could still ship it horribly.

i.e. A bubble mailer, bag, board, and two loose pieces of cardboard that don't cover have the comic.

Anyone have a solid yet cheap way to ship CGC graded books?

Order free 1092 and 1095 Priority boxes from the USPS. Place the slab inside some packing material (bubble wrap of bubble pak), then put into the 1092. Put a little bit of bubble wrap in the bottom of the 1095 and drop the 1092 into it. Add a bit of bubble wrap at the top and seal up the 1095. The slab should not have any room to slide around. This should just be at or under 2 pounds. Avoids the flat rate fee and saves money shipping of one slab. If the recipient is close, the shipping gets cheaper.

Thanks--will definitely try this! What's the best way to ship 2 or more slabs?

Bigger boxes.

lol I mean are there ideal USPS boxes to order (for the box within box method) for more than 1 slab? The 1092 and 1095 boxes were a great tip for one slab as I've been using the medium flat rate box to ship 1 or 2 slabs in the past.

It amazes me how people tape comics either to cardboard or together in a bundle when shipping. It is VERY DIFFICULT to remove the tape without damaging the comics. Probably 40-50% of the comics I get are shipped this way. Hard to believe anyone who works with comics doesn't see the flaw of this.