• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Pack Your Books For Shipping - by Boozad
12 12

586 posts in this topic

Yep, the box is crushed and has a large gash on the side to boot.

I'm astounded the slab itself wasn't smashed to pieces - when the Fedex guy handed me the package, I could hear the slab moving freely & banging against the top and bottom of the box.

I tape mine as well, so news to me.

I also prepay and print my labels so I can drop them off and run :devil:

and online saves just a little bit more $$$$

Doesnt that require you to know pretty much the exact weight beforehand?

It requires you to enter a weight into the application in order to print out the label. I have often wondered how that weight is checked if you just drop the package into a receptacle.

I have a small scale at home that saves me the headache and it pays for itself in convenience. Don't tell the USPS, but I've even used the scale on the DIY kiosk when I was desperate

Here is what I got today from shipment purchased from a boardie... Books weren't packaged horribly but it could have been better they are worse if you see them in person. I have reached out to the seller to hope that we can work something out. I also received a book from ebay today that was packaged so horribly that I can't believe it wasn't damaged.

I encourage everyone to read this thread if your going to sell. Wrap them around a bag, use bubble wrap, put cardboard around them, and put them in a box. How hard is it!

IMAG0153.jpg

Amazing how some cheap out on the packing material. :eek:

Not always the case...sometimes it's just laziness. It could also be a simple 'I thought it was protected well enough".

I am not making excuses, just trying to understand where people are coming from.

Dave,

We should all be like this guy lol

http://myworld.ebay.com/stop_damaging_my_comic_books_with_inadequate_packing

It's never fun going to Wal-Mart and buying $32 worth of bubble wrap and $10 worth of clear duct tape. But it must be done. I to have received some horrible pack jobs, but what really surprises me is comic book shops and the way they pack books (correction: the way SOME pack books). Some are loose, banging around in a box. I guess that indicates that to most people, condition is not an issue.

Don't be affraid to call someone out, because that is the only way they will (1) learn how to do it correctly and it (2) may prevent someone for having a bad experience down the road.

R

Bubble-wrap & tape from Wal-Mart? Heh, I might not sell on eBay, but I sure will buy stuff from there. I got 200 feet of small-bubble wrap and 2 rolls of tape, delivered to my house, for $22. And that was a BIN, I might have been able to get an auction cheaper.

Now that I am questioning selling all my stuff, IDK what to do with this big- roll of bubble-wrap...

-slym

Theres nothing worse than purchasing a high dollar book only to find that it was packaged in an envelope that says "Do Not Bend" and the mailman shoves it in the mailbox. We've all heard of mailmen going "postal". I'm surprised there hasn't been a comic book nerd who went postal on the mailman.

Edited by Darkowl

Glad I have a warehouse attached to my office.

An employee of one of the shipping companies, I forget which, told me not to write Fragile on a box. A lot of the people that work in the processing station are , and will mis-handle fragile packages intentionally.

Also, it seems my postal carrier only ever bends mail that is marked "DO NOT BEND"

I sold a couple of CGC books on Ebay last month. Just some small books. I look at my feedback from the transactions and one guy leaves me this :

Good Experience! Shipping a bit high though

Seriously ?!....

I charged $12.00 for shipping. It cost me $12.50 to ship the book. Add in bubble wrap, tape and driving to post office....I am not making anything here.

Alot of BS for a $50 book...

Just one of the many reasons why I need to avoid Ebay

I sold a couple of CGC books on Ebay last month. Just some small books. I look at my feedback from the transactions and one guy leaves me this :

Seriously ?!....

I charged $12.00 for shipping. It cost me $12.50 to ship the book. Add in bubble wrap, tape and driving to post office....I am not making anything here.

Use the sales flyers from the grocery store and stuff a few and I do mean a few of them in the box, use medium priority non flat rate boxes, the print out your shipping labels from ebay. Last CGC book I mailed to PA cost me $5.78 and one to CA cost me $9.88. Then I walk over the mail box on the street and drop it in

Seriously ?!....

Use the sales flyers from the grocery store and stuff a few and I do mean a few of them in the box, use medium priority non flat rate boxes, the print out your shipping labels from ebay. Last CGC book I mailed to PA cost me $5.78 and one to CA cost me $9.88. Then I walk over the mail box on the street and drop it in

Do you print on actual peel labels for this, or just print to paper and tape it securely on the box? (Havent tried either)

Thanks

Seriously ?!....

Do you print on actual peel labels for this, or just print to paper and tape it securely on the box? (Havent tried either)

Thanks

either way is okay. i bought a zebra lp2844 because printing labels through a regular printer eats too much ink. now i never have to buy ink because of labels. and labels are free with a ups or fedex account.