• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Pack Your Books For Shipping - by Boozad
12 12

586 posts in this topic

It amazes me how people tape comics either to cardboard or together in a bundle when shipping. It is VERY DIFFICULT to remove the tape without damaging the comics. Probably 40-50% of the comics I get are shipped this way. Hard to believe anyone who works with comics doesn't see the flaw of this.

Do you mean people tape the actual comic book to cardboard or is the comic in a comic bag then taped to cardboard?

It amazes me how people tape comics either to cardboard or together in a bundle when shipping. It is VERY DIFFICULT to remove the tape without damaging the comics. Probably 40-50% of the comics I get are shipped this way. Hard to believe anyone who works with comics doesn't see the flaw of this.

Do you mean people tape the actual comic book to cardboard or is the comic in a comic bag then taped to cardboard?

They're taping to the individual bags that the comics are in - it is irritating - especially if it's mylar, which seems to form and unreleasable bond with the tape.

They need to wrap the books in newspaper or an outer bag first, then tape them down, to make them easier to remove.

I see this too, even from comic shops I've ordered from. Interestingly, I had one eBay customer leave a comment that I got tape on the cover of a book because the packing wasn't that good.

Turns out, he bought the same book from different people and left me the wrong feedback!

I never put tape anywhere near the book because I've damaged pricey floppies just trying to get them out

It's one of my pet hates too, especially with Magic Tape as you just can't get a nail under that stuff when it's stuck down. I end up using a knife to cut then remove it.

Seeing as I'm considerate, my buyers get this.

fold one end of each piece of tape over to form a tab (on every single piece of tape used in the package), and mark out where to open. This isn’t because I think the recipient has issues, it’s just helpful. I hate scratching a pieces of tape stuck to cardboard for half an hour.

DSC01037.jpg

It's very hard to peel off the tape with your fingernail -- I'm always afraid of putting a dent in the book. Usually I'll try to open the bag and pull the comic out, but that doesn't work if more than a few are taped together. The next best approach is to cut the tape with a knife or scissors, but this still puts stress on the comics (especially the ones on the top and bottom).

None of this really matters if you're buying less than perfect comics of new comics, which I often do. but sometimes I'm buying high grade comics with the hope of submitting to cgc for high grades -- you'd think these sellers would know better than use tape, but still some do.

when I send comics to cgc, I put them each in a mylar with a backing board, put a few (never more than about 5) between two pieces of thick cardboard, put the bundle in a large fed ex or express mail envelope (which are free), fold back the envelope and then tape around the envelope. then I put these bundles (using 2 when I'm shipping 10 to cgc) into a fed ex box and send the fed ex box to cgc. If I didn't have the envelope I'd use newspaper (like others have suggested).

I need a favor. After tonight I am all out of supplies and I need to reup my stash...Does anyone know of a good website that has the ez folders to ship comics or even the white boxes..I need a better deal than what I am getting.

They're taping to the individual bags that the comics are in - it is irritating - especially if it's mylar, which seems to form and unreleasable bond with the tape.

They need to wrap the books in newspaper or an outer bag first, then tape them down, to make them easier to remove.

Just got a package from Comics America. All of the books were stacked together with the flaps taped together. Flaps are all torn now.

Just got a package from Comics America. All of the books were stacked together with the flaps taped together. Flaps are all torn now.

Ouch! You would think they would know better.

I really can't complain, the books they sent are flawless.

I really can't complain, the books they sent are flawless.

Comics America? I'm surprised... I placed my first order from them late last year. They jerked me around for three weeks, had fulfillment problems, asked if I wanted to cancel my order several times, didn't reply to emails... so I finally did cancel it.

Between that and their free shipping method (which really does sound like a bait and switch scheme), I was also worried about what condition the books would be in.

Too bad that they were so difficult to work with. Did you ever have any of these problems, or was it just a rare occurrence?

Perhaps some other people that have bought from them can comment as well...?

Comics America? I'm surprised... I placed my first order from them late last year. They jerked me around for three weeks, had fulfillment problems, asked if I wanted to cancel my order several times, didn't reply to emails... so I finally did cancel it.

Between that and their free shipping method (which really does sound like a bait and switch scheme), I was also worried about what condition the books would be in.

Too bad that they were so difficult to work with. Did you ever have any of these problems, or was it just a rare occurrence?

Perhaps some other people that have bought from them can comment as well...?

This was my first order from them, so I have no previous experiences on which to rate them. They actually had in stock what they say they did on their website, which is a rarity it seems among online stores. Think I've had at least 10 orders cancelled in the past few weeks from various sites because they were out of stock on stuff they had listed as being in stock.

Probably won't order from them again though, as I would rather not have to get my books shipped from Canada.

Also yes their free shipping seems rather disingenuous. As they sell you more books under the disguise of giving you free shipping.

"There may be other comic books that we cannot certify. Exclusion of an item from this text does not guarantee certification. Please remember that no floating items can be encapsulated with the comic book (i.e. Certificates of Authenticity's, Pedigree COA's, free-floating 3-D glasses, poly-bags). Poly-bagged comics must be taken out of the poly-bag before being graded."