• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage

51 posts in this topic

As collectors, we often focus on the ones that got away. Looking at your collection, it's clear you don't say oops that often.

It was good to see you at SDCC.

Cheers!

N

Thanks Nelson. Good to meet you too.

As for other Heritage results, the Jack Davis cover had a strong finish I thought. I really liked that one. The Byrne Xmen page went higher than I thought it would, although it's from the key 137 issue. The Wrightson color piece seemed high to me--not a particularly well known or iconic image to fetch such a price. And the Steranko? I never see these pages available, especially the Steranko inked ones, so I don't know if that was a good price or not.

Thoughts?

Scott Williams

Hi Scott,

This was the first Heritage Auction that I didn't really follow closely, as for me there wasn't much that I had to have. I did just take a look at the final numbers and am overall impressed (still) by the strength of the market.

The Byrne X-Men page is a very strong price, especially since pages from this issue (albeit an important issue) certainly come up for sale.

I thought the Steranko page went cheap, although it shows you that even though he did better work overall for Strange Tales / Nick Fury, his X-Men and Cap art is more popular and commands higher prices. This page is twice up as well, making the price all the more surprising. I'll tell you that I sold one of my Steranko X-Men pages for well over 10K almost 4 years ago now, just to give you an idea. I don't think you can get a solid Steranko X-Men page with the X-Men on it for under 15K at this point, if you can even find one. Of the 30 pages he did for X-Men, I think less than 20 of them have the X-Men actually on it.

I thought the Peanuts strips continue to do exceedingly well, although I don't know this market at all. Others more seasoned on this genre should comment.

Finally, the Wrightson Swamp Thing was strong, but I'm not surprised. Can you get a splash or less than 30-40K these days? Nope, hence the price of this really wonderful half-splash. Congrats to the new owner. Anyone who has seen Wrightson's Swamp Thing splashes (and half-splashes) up close (as I know you have, Scott!) knows how truly rare and beautiful they are. They are worth every penny!

Best,

Hari

Hi Scott,

This was the first Heritage Auction that I didn't really follow closely, as for me there wasn't much that I had to have. I did just take a look at the final numbers and am overall impressed (still) by the strength of the market.

The Byrne X-Men page is a very strong price, especially since pages from this issue (albeit an important issue) certainly come up for sale.

I thought the Steranko page went cheap, although it shows you that even though he did better work overall for Strange Tales / Nick Fury, his X-Men and Cap art is more popular and commands higher prices. This page is twice up as well, making the price all the more surprising. I'll tell you that I sold one of my Steranko X-Men pages for well over 10K almost 4 years ago now, just to give you an idea. I don't think you can get a solid Steranko X-Men page with the X-Men on it for under 15K at this point, if you can even find one. Of the 30 pages he did for X-Men, I think less than 20 of them have the X-Men actually on it.

I thought the Peanuts strips continue to do exceedingly well, although I don't know this market at all. Others more seasoned on this genre should comment.

Finally, the Wrightson Swamp Thing was strong, but I'm not surprised. Can you get a splash or less than 30-40K these days? Nope, hence the price of this really wonderful half-splash. Congrats to the new owner. Anyone who has seen Wrightson's Swamp Thing splashes (and half-splashes) up close (as I know you have, Scott!) knows how truly rare and beautiful they are. They are worth every penny!

Best,

Hari

I also didn't follow this auction too closely. There were a few pages of mild interest to me but overall a pretty lack-luster array for my collecting interest. I think the current CLINK auction has a lot more to offer.

I agree the Peanuts strips did very well. I wish I could own one of them but just a bit out of my range (should have tried for one back in the 90s). Though I did win a nice Schulz featuring Snoopy. They had a dozen spot illustrations used in Shipstads and Johnson Ice Follies Snoopy from 1971. Most featured Snoopy in a variety of poses including ice skating, one even had Woodstock. Some with Schulz's signature to ones without. I had settled on two before the auction, one had Snoopy jumping and the other of him with a top hat and cane. I won the latter and couldn't be more pleased. I had picked up my first Schulz earlier this year featuring Charlie Brown and had been wanting a Snoopy. Its about the same size as the Butternut Bread Charlie Brown so will get the Snoopy framed similarly.

snoopy.jpeg

As collectors, we often focus on the ones that got away. Looking at your collection, it's clear you don't say oops that often.

Cheers!

N

As for other Heritage results, the Jack Davis cover had a strong finish I thought. I really liked that one. The Byrne Xmen page went higher than I thought it would, although it's from the key 137 issue. The Wrightson color piece seemed high to me--not a particularly well known or iconic image to fetch such a price. And the Steranko? I never see these pages available, especially the Steranko inked ones, so I don't know if that was a good price or not.

Thoughts?

Scott Williams

I've never seen so many Schulz Peanuts pieces together in one auction. I thought for sure that since there were so many, prices would have been somewhat lower, but they all seemed to do well. I wasn't surprised at the final hammer on the Swamp Thing page - it was very nice. I'd never seen the Wrightson color piece, and wasn't sure what it would fetch... although Heritage had estimated 25k when it was at Comic Con. The Ditko Doc Strange page failed to meet reserve, but the price did seem kind of high to me so I wasn't surprised. I really love the Jack Davis Tales from the Crypt cover, and I'm ecstatic that I was the winning bidder.

Bill

edited: 'cause Schultz is a character in a sitcom, not an artist.

Wrightson Swampthing page closed last night for over 19k. I was offered that page about 4, maybe 5 years ago for $2800. Can you say oops?

Scott Williams

I thought that the Swamp Thing page did quite well, although good Swamp Thing pages have been bringing good prices at Heritage in the past year.

I have to disagree with Scott about the color piece. That was the cover of a catalog for a Wrightson exhibition in 1977. I vividly remember that piece when the catalog came out. Not that I would have been able to bid anywhere near the $31K, but I know some collectors that would love to have that piece.

I was a little surprised that the Secrets of Haunted House cover "only" went for $8400. You rarely see any of Wrightson's horror covers from the 70's for sale. I thought these were in big demand? But what do I know?

gj

Cheers!

N

Thoughts?

Scott Williams

I've never seen so many Shultz Peanuts pieces together in one auction. I thought for sure that the abundance would have brought prices down somewhat, but they still all seemed to do well. I wasn't surprised at the final hammer on the Swamp Thing page - it was very nice. I'd never seen the Wrightson color piece, and wasn't sure what it would fetch... although Heritage had estimated 25k when it was at Comic Con. The Ditko Doc Strange page failed to meet reserve, but the price did seem kind of high to me so I wasn't surprised. I really love the Jack Davis Tales from the Crypt cover, and I'm ecstatic that I was the winning bidder.

Bill

Wow!!!!! Congrats Bill! I think it was the best piece in the whole auction!

Scott Williams

Wrightson Swampthing page closed last night for over 19k. I was offered that page about 4, maybe 5 years ago for $2800. Can you say oops?

Scott Williams

I thought that the Swamp Thing page did quite well, although good Swamp Thing pages have been bringing good prices at Heritage in the past year.

I have to disagree with Scott about the color piece. That was the cover of a catalog for a Wrightson exhibition in 1977. I vividly remember that piece when the catalog came out. Not that I would have been able to bid anywhere near the $31K, but I know some collectors that would love to have that piece.

I was a little surprised that the Secrets of Haunted House cover "only" went for $8400. You rarely see any of Wrightson's horror covers from the 70's for sale. I thought these were in big demand? But what do I know?

gj

As far as the Wrightson color catalog piece, different strokes I guess. It's definitely a fine, high quality piece, but just not quite up my ally. And the other cover, the jack-o-lantern cover was beautifully drawn and inked. Perhaps it was just a bit too quirky to inspire a bidding war? I know for a fact that other DC mystery covers by Wrightson can and HAVE gone for 30-50k, and I'm not even counting key pieces like the HOS 92 cover. So from that standpoint you're probably right that the winner of the Jack-o-lantern cover got a bargain!

Scott Williams

Scott Williams

not sure why this would spike 6 fold over a 5 year period or what is driving

the interest.

Went back and checked my records, and I was offered the page at $2800 over 6 years ago. Time flies, but still a big increase for sure. The REALLY good ST pages are super hard to come by much less acquire, and the only reason I passed in the first place is because I am more partial to the early Wrightson ST issues than the later ones.

Scott Williams

Hi Scott,

Best,

Hari

Hey Hari!

One of the big holes in my collection is a Steranko piece, and I personally have almost zero interest in any of the Xmen pages Steranko did. The covers are a different beast and are GORGEOUS, but it won't surprise those who know me that the inking on a piece really matters, and I just thought the inks on the interiors of those few Steranko issues left a lot to be desired. But again, that's my own bias. If this Heritage piece had had Fury in costume, I would have made a serious run at it (as would others I'm sure). Seems like everyone is looking for the PERFECT example when it comes to classic comic art. I guess when prices are what they are, you want to feel like you're getting the absolute best piece possible, and if it doesn't hit every criteria, you wait for one that does. For me, the days of having an example to just to have an example until the better one comes along is dead. I'd rather wait, even though it means that every year I wait, it's going to cost me more and more.

Scott Williams

Cheers!

N

Thoughts?

Scott Williams

I've never seen so many Shultz Peanuts pieces together in one auction. I thought for sure that the abundance would have brought prices down somewhat, but they still all seemed to do well. I wasn't surprised at the final hammer on the Swamp Thing page - it was very nice. I'd never seen the Wrightson color piece, and wasn't sure what it would fetch... although Heritage had estimated 25k when it was at Comic Con. The Ditko Doc Strange page failed to meet reserve, but the price did seem kind of high to me so I wasn't surprised. I really love the Jack Davis Tales from the Crypt cover, and I'm ecstatic that I was the winning bidder.

Bill

Wow!!!!! Congrats Bill! I think it was the best piece in the whole auction!

Scott Williams

Thank you Scott! That's high praise indeed from someone with such a spectacular collection.

I've loved the cover ever since I was a child back in the 60s. It's certainly a grail for me, and I still can't believe that it's mine. :)

Bill

ETA: bedrockcomics - Thank you! I've wanted a good example for years, so needless to say I'm thrilled.

Anyone win anything? I picked this piece up, another one from my early childhood - ya I was one of those kids that read DC too.

Firestorm10.jpg

I have always loved Firestorm and this is a really nice piece. Giodarno is underrated IMHO.

Hi Scott,

Best,

Hari

Hey Hari!

One of the big holes in my collection is a Steranko piece, and I personally have almost zero interest in any of the Xmen pages Steranko did. The covers are a different beast and are GORGEOUS, but it won't surprise those who know me that the inking on a piece really matters, and I just thought the inks on the interiors of those few Steranko issues left a lot to be desired. But again, that's my own bias. If this Heritage piece had had Fury in costume, I would have made a serious run at it (as would others I'm sure). Seems like everyone is looking for the PERFECT example when it comes to classic comic art. I guess when prices are what they are, you want to feel like you're getting the absolute best piece possible, and if it doesn't hit every criteria, you wait for one that does. For me, the days of having an example to just to have an example until the better one comes along is dead. I'd rather wait, even though it means that every year I wait, it's going to cost me more and more.

Scott Williams

Hi Scott,

Absolutely! I did mention that the Steranko Strange Tales/Nick Furey stuff is considered better art (and for good reasons, as you mentioned). I was merely stating that prices oftentimes don't reflect this, as story, characters, fan interest, readership, etc. all play into value.

Personally, I think the page was cheap. Those pages are rare as hens teeth! We only see them pop up every 4 or 5 years, it seems.

Hari