• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wow....my puny $65 holder bid was just blown out of the water.

88 posts in this topic

This price is rediculous, when you really think about it.

Prices on many books are silly right now. I know the sellers and holders are delighted, but there is a disconnect right now, between common sense (which is very uncommon these days) and addiction.

There is a frenzy to have the best, when third best is sweet. How much better is this book to a 9.4? Miniscule. Maybe even just a bad (or good) day by the CGC grade assigners.

It would be a different thing if it was a Golden Age book.

I think I am done buying books, unless they are Golden Age and reasonably priced (yea, I know, good luck with that).

It's just getting too rediculous. I can't justify it for collecting. Flipping new krap is one thing (to make some profit off of the band wagon riders), but collecting is another altogether.

Yep. I'm done.

Why be done?, let those who want to chase and overpay for a number do so, there are still plenty of VM/NM even NM copies out there to collect at non stratospheric prices. Just because somebody has the means to drop a grand on this book does not mean there is a disconnect but rather they collect with a different mindset then you do. What we might call crazy money might be a drop in the bucket to them, who knows. It might not be a "smart buy", but they might not care.

I will say though from the looks of it this book qualifies as buying the book not the label, it is an outstanding looking copy and a white paged Ped to boot.

I could just buy books that the "big boys" don't want, for sure. But it would be like working in an ice cream store and never being able to eat the Butter Pecan and only eating the chocolate and vanilla.

It sucks not being rich.

But then again. If there weren't any not rich people, there would not be any rich people. (my latest words of wisdom) :)

I'm just going to stick with buying the Golden Age and give up on the modern, copper, bronze and even silver. It will be hard, because I am weak. But it is just getting out of hand, price wise.

Can you believe that you could buy a Dagar #14, for what you could pay for a G.I. Joe or a really nice Bone or Walking Dead. That's just silly.

Of course the argument can rightly be made that each of us can do with our money as we see fit (well, except for that government tax and regulation thing).

I have been buying signature series and bronze age books over the last couple of years, but I am done. The prices on the bronze stuff defy belief. They ain't rare and are way over valued, IMO. Other opinions may vary.

Don't get me wrong, I get where you are coming from I cannot buy many books I might want because the pool is too deep at that end for whatever the reason. Then again I cannot buy the car or house I want either. :pullhair:

But even if I had the means I doubt I would toss crazy money at books unless they were rare in grade and important to me. Wish I could find out firsthand though.

What was it you said about rich people again?

:D

Highest graded, 9.6, white pages, perfectly centered, semi key.

A 9.4 just sold for $568 so $1000 is not unreasonable based on multiples I have seen.

It's a lot of money but it doesn't surprise me. It's pretty much the perfect book if someone is looking for the "best" available right now.

Like I said...I was delusional. I don't have GPA but expected the book probably had a high track record. It is an awesome book though.

Plus, it's a Boston copy.

Exactly, add old label in there and I bet there is a possibility it could get squished to a 9.8.

+1

I could just buy books that the "big boys" don't want, for sure. But it would be like working in an ice cream store and never being able to eat the Butter Pecan and only eating the chocolate and vanilla.

It sucks not being rich.

But then again. If there weren't any not rich people, there would not be any rich people. (my latest words of wisdom) :)

I'm just going to stick with buying the Golden Age and give up on the modern, copper, bronze and even silver. It will be hard, because I am weak. But it is just getting out of hand, price wise.

Can you believe that you could buy a Dagar #14, for what you could pay for a G.I. Joe or a really nice Bone or Walking Dead. That's just silly.

Of course the argument can rightly be made that each of us can do with our money as we see fit (well, except for that government tax and regulation thing).

I have been buying signature series and bronze age books over the last couple of years, but I am done. The prices on the bronze stuff defy belief. They ain't rare and are way over valued, IMO. Other opinions may vary.

The price ratio of Good to Mint comics has widened over the years, perhaps most dramatically in this initial period after the birth of third party grading, so you aren't alone in having to deal with a market that's has changed in your collecting lifetime. When I started collecting in 1986 I had no idea how much my collecting world would be limited because of the prices increases that have occurred over the years. Some of my books are worth more, but then so are many of the books that I'm interested in.

I'm disappointed that BA prices are so high as I'd rather have more people collect BA so that the prices of the book like the Dagar 14 are low. :P

It sucks not being rich.

You're upset that you're priced out of the market on books like this, and therefore you feel the need to call the price rediculous ridiculous, and claim that the buyer suffers a disconnect between "common sense" and "addiction".

I'm sorry, but that just smacks of jealousy.

That damned Supply and Demand curve again. !

It sucks not being rich.

You're upset that you're priced out of the market on books like this, and therefore you feel the need to call the price rediculous ridiculous, and claim that the buyer suffers a disconnect between "common sense" and "addiction".

Well Mr. mschmidt. Don't let opportunity pass without you getting in your personal digs or putting me down in some way. I made a general comment and you made a personal comment (as you usually do).

In fact, I can afford just about any book "out there" (except maybe those approaching a half million of so), but I am choosing to not put big money into anything except Golden Age, at good prices. I will no longer set new records (with the exception of a Golden Age book currently on ComicLink that I am sure is going to cost me a record amount).

Sure, there is a jealousy factor. If you aren't jealous of anyone for anything, then you ain't human. (hmmm.....) I am jealous of so many here, and there are some who are jealous of my collection also. Isn't that why many of us buy books at record prices? Jealousy or bragging rights? Or, is it speculation?

I am simply stating that I am no longer going to participate in the climbing of the prices we have seen lately. I in fact, was part of the problem. I have set records on certain bronze age books recently. I will perhaps set records on Golden Age books in the future, but I am going to try and restrain myself from doing so. I have just decided that I am no longer going to be a part of that "craze". To the best of my ability to control myself.

Which ain't easy. Sometimes I just want to choke the chicken out of someone, but I have to restrain myself and just ignore them, or laugh at them.

lol

It sucks not being rich.

Well Mr. mschmidt. Don't let opportunity pass without you getting in your personal digs or putting me down in some way. I made a general comment and you made a personal comment (as you usually do).

In fact, I can afford just about any book "out there" (except maybe those approaching a half million of so), but I am choosing to not put big money into anything except Golden Age, at good prices. I will no longer set new records (with the exception of a Golden Age book currently on ComicLink that I am sure is going to cost me a record amount).

Sure, there is a jealousy factor. If you aren't jealous of anyone for anything, then you ain't human. (hmmm.....) I am jealous of so many here, and there are some who are jealous of my collection also. Isn't that why many of us buy books at record prices? Jealousy or bragging rights? Or, is it speculation?

I am simply stating that I am no longer going to participate in the climbing of the prices we have seen lately. I in fact, was part of the problem. I have set records on certain bronze age books recently. I will perhaps set records on Golden Age books in the future, but I am going to try and restrain myself from doing so. I have just decided that I am no longer going to be a part of that "craze". To the best of my ability to control myself.

Which ain't easy. Sometimes I just want to choke the chicken out of someone, but I have to restrain myself and just ignore them, or laugh at them.

lol

Kick his asss SeaBass!!!!!!

It sucks not being rich.

lol

meh

There's nothing general about a comment where you keep on saying "I".

I couldn't care less about your financial situation, or whether you can afford to pay a "record amount" for some GA book on comiclink - your previous statements were just variations on the same ol' "what you collect sucks, what I collect rocks" theme.

You think it's silly that a Bone #1 commands the same amount of money as a Dagar #14 - I think it's silly that a Dagar #14 commands the same amount of money as a Bone #1. Unlike you, though, I don't feel the need to ridicule or question the common sense of people who spend XXX amount of money on a book I'm not personally interested in.

Apparently only YOU have the right to voice an opinion about anything.

And yes. ANYONE who thinks a Dagar #14 and a Bone #1 are comparable in value, is..............well, just silly.

But. To each his own. You do your thing and I will do mine.

P.S. If anyone has a Dagar #14 in say, 5.0 or so, I will trade you two Bone #1's in 9.6 for it.

Awaiting PM's, or more snide remarks..

And yes. ANYONE who thinks a Dagar #14 and a Bone #1 are comparable in value, is..............well, just silly.

P.S. If anyone has a Dagar #14 in say, 5.0 or so, I will trade you two Bone #1's in 9.6 for it.

How about a VG- 3.5 one?

"How about a VG- 3.5 one?"

Probably not. I am looking at pennynike1's 8.0 though. I would have already pulled the trigger but I just put a large bid on a book on ComicLink, that I don't think I can live without. Rare and tough to find in high grade. I have decided to "go for it", without caring about the record setting price it is going to require. If I screw it up and lose the Link book, I will see if the Dagar 14 from pennynike1 is still available. He has quite a few sweet GGA books, and they are always in demand.

Unlike so many newer books that come and go.

Sometimes you only get one chance at certain books. Other books come around every so often, so you can wait.

P.S. Received my "nik" shirt today. It is a great keepsake. Can't wait to wear it to Mid Ohio Con. Unfortunatly the only Con I will be attending.

Just so we're all clear . . .

Dagar 14 GPA:

( 9.0 ) (1) $1,195 - - - $1,195 May-2007

( 9.0 ) Davis Crippen ("D" Copy) - - - - $837 Aug-2006

( 8.5 ) - - - - $650 Oct-2006

( 8.0 ) - (1) $750 - - $750 May-2008

( 7.0 ) - - - - $311 Mar-2003

( 6.0 ) - (1) $215 - - $215 Mar-2008

Bone

( 9.6 ) - - (4) $1,906 (2) $1,601 $1,302 Jun-2009

Two Bone 1s in 9.6 is gonna run you $2500 at least. For a book that is worth less than $215. Do whatever you care to, but, wow, I mean just, wow.

I am hunting for a 5.0 Dagar 14 as we speak.

Hopefully that trade deal will still be available :wishluck:

I am hunting for a 5.0 Dagar 14 as we speak.

Hopefully that trade deal will still be available :wishluck:

Get in those bins and find it, high-pockets! Remember, if it was printed after 1947, it's dreck!