• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cartoon cels / Animation Art

49 posts in this topic

Welcome to the CGC Boards Shane.

I have seen a few cels here and there for the Droid series but couldn't tell you which episodes they were from as it's not what I follow. However, you can check with some of the vendors DStorm mentioned in his post as they all were at SDCC.

When it comes to animation, "lost" often means the animators took them home with them. It will be just as Stephen described with the vintage Warner pieces. If prices creep up, the cels and master set ups will come out into the marketplace.

Thanks for the welcome, Nelson! :)

The seller at SDCC with all the Droids cels is Steve Schanes and he sells on eBay under icollectonline. He's become quite a big dealer in animation and told me last year at the show that he's sitting on a million+ cels in his inventory, mostly from shows from the last 30 or so years. How he came into the Droids cels he has now is a bit of a tale in and of itself...

The majority of the Nelvana Star Wars cels ended up with LFL back in the late 80s and they were sold through a company called Royal Animated Art. In addition to all the production art they had, Royal also created 6 different sericels: two from Droids, two from Ewoks and two from the Holiday Special, all of which are routinely on eBay for dirt cheap. Went Royal went south, the remaining inventory went to Joe Cesaro from Sunday Funnies, LLC who was selling stuff from the first 8 eps at exorbitant prices and he to eventually went under. It was Joe who a handful of collectors found some cels from and a few of us passed, based on his prices. Once he disappeared, we somewhat regretted not buying them as his inventory disappeared with him. Flash forward a little more than 5 years and some random seller on eBay started selling off some of his cels (the pics were identical from the ones Joe had) so i bought several at a more reasonable price. Then she disappeared and around SDCC last year, Steve Schanes ended up with everything she had and it was apparently several pallets. Most of it was from the last 4 eps but there were a handful of cels and master set-ups from the first 8.

Interestingly enough, LFL held onto a tonne of Ewoks cels and a tonne of boxes were given away as a fan club incentive and at the Celebration 3 convention in Indianapolis in 2005.

As for "lost" Star Wars cels, i can confirm, unfortunately, that a lot of what i refer to as being lost is gone and destroyed. Nelvana had a flood go through their storehouses in the mid-late 80s and a lot of stuff was ruined and tossed. That's not to say that some animators might not be holding on to some stuff - i lucked out when researching my article and found one guy who had a stack of original pencil model sheets from Ewoks, so it's definitely possible.

Although i'm sure it's uninteresting to some, thanks for letting me ramble on about Star Wars cels. ;)

I remember buying 2 Heavy Metal cel and one pencil portfolios from Steve Schanes at Wonder Con back in the 90s for $50 each. I only have one portfolio (cel and pencils) of each now, wish I had bought more back then.

Anyone ever come across any of the cels used in the Rocketeer for the Nazi propaganda film which Cliff is shown? I own 3 of the pencils poses and 3 hand shaded xeroexes for the rocketman (there were at least 6 static poses) but I have never seen any cels from that segment.

pencil from Nazi propaganda film

rocketeer6.jpg

hand shades xerox from Nazi propaganda film rocketeer6_color.jpg

Anyone ever come across any cels or the other pencils poses for the rocketman?

Brian, I've emailed you through CAF several times about those Rocketeer pencils and I need you to sell me one dammit! lol. I've been looking for cels or drawings from this sequence since the movie came out and never came across anything. I asked Dave about it and he didn't have any info. I have requests in at several animation galleries and nothing has turned up. Congrats on owning these, I wish I had one!

Rob_Allan

The cels that came with the dvd were most likely created specifically as a give-away (seriagraph cel) and not used in the actual production of the cartoon.

Cheers!

N

This is great info-- thanks! I didn't know there was a name for them, but now I get to spend some quality Googling time with seriagraph cels!

-Rob-

While we're on the topic, does anyone happen to know if there are any 67 Spiderman cels out there and if not, any interesting stories surrounding what may have happened to them?

I think those were made in Japan

According to Wikipedia: Grantray-Lawrence Animation produced the first season. Seasons 2 and 3 were crafted by producer Ralph Bakshi in New York City.

I can verify that Bakshi did work on Spider-man because there is an episode of Rocket Robin Hood that uses a lot of the same setups that an episode of Spider-Man used.

Yeah, Bakshi's name is clearly in the credits if you watch those episodes. The Bakshi family has been selling a lot of cels from his productions at SDCC and on eBay over the last little bit but i haven't seen anything from Spidey, making me wonder if he even retained anything from them.

I bought a Wizards cel from them last year at SDCC and they said that they don't sell any of their original backgrounds either so it's pretty tough to get any Bakshi production backgrounds, although i have seen a handful for sale (i think VE might have one now).

This comes from the Van Eaton website ... http://vegalleries.com/other4.html#spi

"SPIDER-MAN

Spiderman has appeared in three animated series: " Spider-Man" (1967) by Grantray-Lawrence Animation, "Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends" (1981) by Marvel Productions, and "Spider-Man: The Animated Series" (1994) by New World/Saban Entertainment and Marvel Productions.

We are currently sold out of this artwork, but we do get it in on a regular basis. Be sure to fill out our GUEST BOOK and we will contact you as soon as new artwork comes in."

Still looking for Dungeons and Dragons cartoon cels...

Man, those would be great! (thumbs u

I expect folks still appreciate the effort involved in creating such pieces on such a grand scale as the older animation studios did. Especially considering the current digital era of production, I know I do. :grin:

I have a few Cels from the ultra-cheesy Conan (Adventures?) cartoon series that I pd. jack-squat for! They look neat in 'el-cheapo frames from Michaels. ;)

:cloud9:

I collect animation cels (American and Japanese) and have been finding a lot of good cels at prices 50%-75% of what they used to go for.

I'm actually more into cels than OA since I get more of a kick in seeing a cel in my collection that thousands of people have seen on t.v. compared to commissions or the relatively small audience for comics.

Here are some of my comic related cels, mostly super heroes of course.

celb.jpg

I'm actually more into cels than OA since I get more of a kick in seeing a cel in my collection that thousands of people have seen on t.v. compared to commissions or the relatively small audience for comics.

celb.jpg

Comics sell in the 10s and 100s of thousands so that is a pretty big audience

While we're on the topic, does anyone happen to know if there are any 67 Spiderman cels out there and if not, any interesting stories surrounding what may have happened to them?

I have a Spider-Man cel and several pencils from the animated series. Sorry, but, I can't seem to get an image to upload? Anyway, the cel was purchased from another collector and the pencils came to me from Van Eaton Galleries.

Heritage sold a 1970's Spider-Man cel from the Richard Pini collection in 2005:

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=815&Lot_No=4093#

I know of two other collectors who have cels and have seen some for sale online, but, they are very rare.

Best,

Jeff Sharpe

I acquired a box of original art from Rocket Robin Hood. Cels, layouts, storyboards and scripts. One of the scripts is a portion of the Dementia Five episode that shared art with the Spiderman series. I have some of the dope sheets from that ep as well.

There were no Spiderman cels in the box except on of a running soldier.

Sheridan College way back in the 90's. Sheridan started the animation program in the '70's after they bought up all the equipment from Al Guest/Krantz when they went bankrupt.

Consider that the stuff is pretty rare and I have only found two other people that have artwork not from my source. That includes Ron Sutton (Elvira comic book artist) who has some Jim Steranko storyboards, John K (Ren and Stimpy) who has storyboards from an Australian artist.

I toured the collection for a couple of years around to comic conventions with

great responses from other fans.

Here's a note from Ralph Bakshi:

"Hi Dave:

Gray Morrow and Steranko were the only professional comic book artists that

worked with me on Rocket Robin Hood. All the other artists were animators from

Canada, Britain, Spain, and a few Americans (Cosmo Anzilotti,and background

artist Johnny Vita).

Nice to hear from you.

Best regards, Ralph"

And one from Jim Steranko:

"Dear David,

Yes, I worked on the Rocket Robin Hood show, generating several scripts and

storyboards, but can no longer remember their titles. Ralph Bakshi, whom I knew

previously from the Paramount Animation Studios, also worked on the show. I may

talk a bit about this stint in my autobiographical series, to be published later

this year, probably the book related to filmmaking. Beyond that, I can't really

give you any details. If I think of anything else, I'll drop you a note. Good

luck with your animation project.

Sincerely,

Jim Steranko"

Here is a link to 2 Spiderman pieces:

http://www.tooncity.net/spiderman.html

Rocket Robin Hood Facebook Group:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=2211091401

Rocket Robin Hood Yahoo Group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RocketRobinHood/

I am selling off Rocket Robin Hood pieces as well as a fanzine, so feel free to message.

Thanks.