• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deal falls through, Value questions

29 posts in this topic

As soon as price was agreed upon and payment sent the deal was done!

Bad price or not!

Pulling a move like that places the dealer at same level as someone who sell restored books without disclosing it!

Regardless of the good a person has done it was a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed move

DoucheBagmotivator.jpg

I know it is easy for me because I am not in your shoes, but if I were you I would look on it as a second chance. What happened to you isn't right, but since you are new to the hobby, my advice would be to put that same $500 towards one piece that would really be an eyecatcher. I think you could buy one Subby page that you would be proud to frame and look at every day for that price, instead of collecting a number of lesser pages. Of course, I am speaking for myself, and you may want to become a guy who collects volume, but I would count my blessings here.... in other words, 500 clams is more than fair for those pages... take your money and run!

Dan I will always applaud your positive take on these situations. You always come across as very level-headed.

I think it just comes from doing this so long and still being happy and giddy when a new cool piece comes in the mail. There are so many little (and big) annoyances that crop up in a collecting hobby, that after awhile it can sour your taste. In fact, I've seen many collectors come and then go because something occurred to really give them that bad taste. But that's no fun, and I don't want to be that guy. I've just decided to have fun in this hobby, period. Find (and keep) the positive fun stuff that brought you to the hobby in the first place. I don't know about others, but it helps keep me young! And truly, when something bad does happen, shrug it off, another door will always open. Either another better piece will come along.... or the same piece will come back around. It's not worth your time and energy to pull you hair out. Just general words on my outlook, I'm not insinuating that the poster here is doing that.

i would have to agree with comicartcom if you had already sent payment and he backed out then he was very unprofessional, also personally $500.00 was overpaying for those pages.

The price/value of the art doesn't really matter once a deal is agreed on. A deal is a deal and a man's word is his honour.

+1

I once had a local guy agree to sell me a stack of comics that included 3 of the original 6 Hulks and a Hulk 181 but I needed 3 days before I had the money (which he agreed to). In the meantime, he ends up selling the batch to another collector for more money. Pissed me off to no end and I'm STILL pissed about it. And that was 5 or 6 years ago....

It seems to me that this sort of thing happens more in the OA realm than in the comics sphere (though it does occur there as well). If we are correct in assuming that you agreed upon a price and mailed off a money order which was received by the vendor, then that is a business transaction - and there is only ONE outcome that is acceptable - THE VENDOR SHIPS THE ART :makepoint:

Anything else is simply unacceptable and it truly baffles me sometimes what professed 'businesses,' and I use that term very loosely, in the greater comic collectibles hobby get away with. It seems to me that certain vendors gravitate towards definitions of convenience, in that they want to be treated and trump up that they are in 'business' when it suits their interests, however are only too ready to throw the 'responsibilities' of standard business practices out the door when faced with even tiny opportunities for potential profit increase.

The sad thing is that these episodes sully the reputation of their fellow vendors and also do a disservice to the commodity they have chosen to represent.

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. I tend to agree that I am now going to take this $$ and try to buy one nicer cockrum piece. A few just ended on ebay that I would have picked up if the money order was actually back in my hands, but I am sure I will find one piece that I can spend $800-$1000 on

thanks again

Randy

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. I tend to agree that I am now going to take this $$ and try to buy one nicer cockrum piece. A few just ended on ebay that I would have picked up if the money order was actually back in my hands, but I am sure I will find one piece that I can spend $800-$1000 on

thanks again

Randy

Good plan. Rather than a pile of OK pages that aren't worth framing or displaying pick up a page you will always love and display it proudly.

I know it is easy for me because I am not in your shoes, but if I were you I would look on it as a second chance. What happened to you isn't right, but since you are new to the hobby, my advice would be to put that same $500 towards one piece that would really be an eyecatcher. I think you could buy one Subby page that you would be proud to frame and look at every day for that price, instead of collecting a number of lesser pages. Of course, I am speaking for myself, and you may want to become a guy who collects volume, but I would count my blessings here.... in other words, 500 clams is more than fair for those pages... take your money and run!

Dan I will always applaud your positive take on these situations. You always come across as very level-headed.

I think it just comes from doing this so long and still being happy and giddy when a new cool piece comes in the mail. There are so many little (and big) annoyances that crop up in a collecting hobby, that after awhile it can sour your taste. In fact, I've seen many collectors come and then go because something occurred to really give them that bad taste. But that's no fun, and I don't want to be that guy. I've just decided to have fun in this hobby, period. Find (and keep) the positive fun stuff that brought you to the hobby in the first place. I don't know about others, but it helps keep me young! And truly, when something bad does happen, shrug it off, another door will always open. Either another better piece will come along.... or the same piece will come back around. It's not worth your time and energy to pull you hair out. Just general words on my outlook, I'm not insinuating that the poster here is doing that.

Most collectors get excited about purchasing a piece and sometimes forget to do their homework...as a result sometimes they get a good deal and sometimes they don't...but a dealer shouldn't have any excuses.

i would have to agree with comicartcom if you had already sent payment and he backed out then he was very unprofessional, also personally $500.00 was overpaying for those pages.

The price/value of the art doesn't really matter once a deal is agreed on. A deal is a deal and a man's word is his honour.

+1

I once had a local guy agree to sell me a stack of comics that included 3 of the original 6 Hulks and a Hulk 181 but I needed 3 days before I had the money (which he agreed to). In the meantime, he ends up selling the batch to another collector for more money. Pissed me off to no end and I'm STILL pissed about it. And that was 5 or 6 years ago....

alot of greed in this Market. I believe you always have to be on your highest alert when dealing with dealers period!

Good people sometimes do bad things...doesn't make the bad thing they did any less bad. Just because he may have knelt beside a guy who was dieing of cancer and made him soup or raised money to house 100 homeless children and their puppies...doesn't mean they should re neg on a deal. And just because someone re neg's on a deal, doesn't make them a bad person...

It was a not nice move on a deal that should have been honored, and if it was under priced, you learn for the next transaction. If I were the buyer, I would not be very happy and not think the greatest about the person.... but I can also say, that I CAN'T say I would never do it. I'd like to think I would never do it and have not done so yet... but you just never know the circumstances or the inner workings of why people do the things they do at any given moment when they seem not in line with what "should" be done.