• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deal falls through, Value questions

29 posts in this topic

Reworded a bit, I am looking to see if my estimate of values was way off.

I had arranged to buy 3 pieces of art from a seller at this page

www.obviousart.blogspot.com

He had agreed to sell me the cockrum starjammers page, and the 2 submariner pages for $500 plus shipping. I checked out CAF and saw that a starjammers page (presumably from the same story) sold for $73, that there was not alot of recent activity with Don Heck Submariner pages (some sold in the past for about $100), and that buscema pages were all over the place from about $200-$300 ($300 for a splash or partial splash). I figured at $500 I was getting a fair price.

He emailed that these were way underpriced has now changed the prices and wants $250-$325 each.

I had my money order returned and I am done with him.

Is he right? Are these worth that much? Or is this someone checking out ebay and seeing the (riduculous) buy it nows on some of the pieces?

I am new to the art game and don't want to start offending people with low offers in the future.

thanks for any input

Randy

Being unique items, people tend to have their own ideas about value. Normally, they don't necessarily relate to market data. A lot of it is emotional.

The Submariner pages are probably $250 or more each. That sounds about right.

The Starjammers is a different story. To a lot of collectors it's a series that doesn't matter much to them and they would probably value that around $100-150. Given that it's Cockrum people might not be so ready to let it go without a premium attached.

Not looking to slight the guy, I know he has done alot for the community. I got my money back and have no interest in the pages now.

Just trying to ascertain whether I was way under in my offer.

Any help here (or a PM) would be great

thanks

Randy (trying not to step on toes)

Randy, I don't think your questions were insulting or meant to slam the seller. I think you were offered a fair deal on the pieces but the seller changed his mind. To me, that's odd but mostly because these weren't stellar pieces.

I think it may take a couple of months but you'll find their like or better on Ebay and I wouldn't be surprised if you pay less to get them. Panel pages don't inspire strong bidding unless the artist is extraordinary.

PS: CAF marketdata is a terrific way to go.

To clarify, I don't think you were slamming him. I'm just not willing to say anything bad about him, such as 'he's a terrible dealer'.

I'd go with Chris' values and if one piece of CAF data shows a lowly price point on a Starjammer page, that's not a market. If Cliff overvalues the Starjammer page, which I believe is his last Cockrum piece, it's because was very, very close with Dave, helping him the last few, difficult, years of his life.

i would have to agree with comicartcom if you had already sent payment and he backed out then he was very unprofessional, also personally $500.00 was overpaying for those pages.

The price/value of the art doesn't really matter once a deal is agreed on. A deal is a deal and a man's word is his honour.

i would have to agree with comicartcom if you had already sent payment and he backed out then he was very unprofessional, also personally $500.00 was overpaying for those pages.

The price/value of the art doesn't really matter once a deal is agreed on. A deal is a deal and a man's word is his honour.

OP was asking about whether the offer he made was in the realm of market value. That's why we are talking about it.

C

OP was asking about whether the offer he made was in the realm of market value. That's why we are talking about it.

C

Fair enough. Seems like a fair price.

Wasn't there a line in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome that goes like: "Bust a deal, spin the wheel!" ?

As already mentioned, if both parties agree on a transaction, it should be honored/completed. This sort of thing has happened to me a few times in the last year. It really is unforgivable...set a price, sell it, move on.

Wasn't there a line in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome that goes like: "Bust a deal, spin the wheel!" ?

As already mentioned, if both parties agree on a transaction, it should be honored/completed. This sort of thing has happened to me a few times in the last year. It really is unforgivable...set a price, sell it, move on.

"bust a deal, face the wheel."

Personally I would have honored the deal and would be a little annoyed it happened to me. However, I understand the situation and would give this guy a pass. I think he was right and his new prices are more in line with what a dealer would charge.

As I said, because of the situation this wouldn't bother me as much. I did have a known dealer agree to sell me a piece on his site. We closed the deal and I submitted the money through PayPal. Six hours later I get an email from the guy telling me he refunded my money because someone else contacted him and offered him $50 more than I paid (I paid the list price and it was about $400). What was the excuse he gave me for screwing me over like this? "My wife would kill me if I didn't do it".

Ruben

http://www.collectingfool.com

Personally I would have honored the deal and would be a little annoyed it happened to me. However, I understand the situation and would give this guy a pass. I think he was right and his new prices are more in line with what a dealer would charge.

As I said, because of the situation this wouldn't bother me as much. I did have a known dealer agree to sell me a piece on his site. We closed the deal and I submitted the money through PayPal. Six hours later I get an email from the guy telling me he refunded my money because someone else contacted him and offered him $50 more than I paid (I paid the list price and it was about $400). What was the excuse he gave me for screwing me over like this? "My wife would kill me if I didn't do it".

Ruben

http://www.collectingfool.com

What a pansy. :roflmao:

To screw his reputation for $50? lol

My dealing(s) with him were not been good and would never recommend him to anyone.

That being said, he pulled a "Donnelly".

A crappy thing to do and should be held against Meth should anyone want to do business with him in the future.

Mitch I.

I know it is easy for me because I am not in your shoes, but if I were you I would look on it as a second chance. What happened to you isn't right, but since you are new to the hobby, my advice would be to put that same $500 towards one piece that would really be an eyecatcher. I think you could buy one Subby page that you would be proud to frame and look at every day for that price, instead of collecting a number of lesser pages. Of course, I am speaking for myself, and you may want to become a guy who collects volume, but I would count my blessings here.... in other words, 500 clams is more than fair for those pages... take your money and run!

Well, regardless of what the pieces were worth, if I had sent payment in on an agreed upon deal, and had this pulled on me, I would not be happy.

Wonder if he had another buyer?

And yes, I don't know the seller or had any other dealings with him.

I guess I would invite him over here to hear his side of the story.

I know it is easy for me because I am not in your shoes, but if I were you I would look on it as a second chance. What happened to you isn't right, but since you are new to the hobby, my advice would be to put that same $500 towards one piece that would really be an eyecatcher. I think you could buy one Subby page that you would be proud to frame and look at every day for that price, instead of collecting a number of lesser pages. Of course, I am speaking for myself, and you may want to become a guy who collects volume, but I would count my blessings here.... in other words, 500 clams is more than fair for those pages... take your money and run!

Dan I will always applaud your positive take on these situations. You always come across as very level-headed.