• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to submit for Stan Lee & Joe Simon

18 posts in this topic

Im trying to decide on what to submit to the Stan Lee and Joe Simon signings :insane: . Its between a issue of Captain America from the low 100s, Captain America 601 (Marvel 70th anniversary Variant), or Avengers #56, any suggestions?

T

It seems like a shame to submit a modern book to any of these two guys ...

(shrug) to each their own :)

I don't have any old Cap books so I'm knida forced to submit a modern book. I know I could go out and buy a book but I don't collect Cap or Avengers. So yeah to each his own I guess

The variant for Captain America #601 has a nice cover.

I also own a copy of Avengers #56, so I understand why that could be a candidate.

In my opinion, for yourself, go with an Anniversary issue, or something that features Cap's origin, or maybe an older Cap book with a Stan Lee story. Those would all be great choices.

I'm not a huge Cap Fan (more of a Spidey-guy), but I felt the need to get a Simon sig in my collection. I got this book because I love the cover and I had the opportunity to get the creators of both characters that are referenced on the cover to sign the book along with the cover artist. I'd have been a little upset with the extra sig since I had the chance to get more and purposefully left them off, but it frames the cover so darn nicely.

CivilWar3.jpg

In my opinion, the best books to get done are books that the original creators worked on. Short of that, go with stories you like, covers that present well, or books that have sentimental value. My 2c

Im trying to decide on what to submit to the Stan Lee and Joe Simon signings :insane: . Its between a issue of Captain America from the low 100s, Captain America 601 (Marvel 70th anniversary Variant), or Avengers #56, any suggestions?

T

Ok here is my 2c worth. Being that the early Captain America books in the low 100's were written by Stan Lee (except for the Jim Steranko stories), that would be more of a reason to submit that book. The only books for the most part that you will find both Joe Simon and Stan Lee in the credits will be the old Captain America Comics books from the 40's. Stan's first work for Timely (pre-Marvel name) was the Captain America Comics #3. The Avenger book you talk about did not have either creator in the writing credits so that book would be from both creators involvement as a result of the characters used in the storyline. As for the Captain America 601 (Marvel 70th Anniversay Issue) you could submit that one or even the Captain America #600 being the both Stan and Joe did actually participate in the creation of that issue. Sharon and I would be happy to assist you in whatever choice you make. If you have any other questions regarding either the Stan Lee signing or the Joe Simon signing please don't hesitate to ask.

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

(shrug) to each their own :)

Totally - I prefer the old-school creators on old-school books, but that's just my personal opinion. Ultimately it comes down to what the OP is interested in.

I go through this all the time, it's hard to choose, so you might want to just get all of them signed. If I were forced to choose just one of those that you mentioned, it would probably be #600, one of the variants.

Modern books don't have the same value out of the gate, but it's obviously easy to get a high-grade book and the artwork is beautiful. Signatures tend to pop a little more off the modern books, making it more appealing to the eye. And to top it off, it's the least expensive route to go.

Some other factors to consider are how well will the signatures sit on the book? Is there enough open area for both sigs? Would the use of a different colored pen enhance the contrast between the book and the signature?

When I start asking questions like this, besides driving myself crazy, I always come to the conclusion that I need a whole bunch of books signed, one reason why I'm always broke. Keep an eye out on the boards too, we're going to be posting book ideas and tips and tricks to get the most out of it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Bill.

Another thought just occurred to me, what about som e of the Marvel 70th anniversary books like "All-Select," "Captain America Comics," or "Marvel Mystery"? They're readily available and have some connection to the creators.

(shrug)

I feel you. Still, when I sent in books to Danny for sigs at the NY CC, the only book I had with a great Captain America cover for Joe Simon to sign was my McGuiness Cap #25 cover (not actually certain why I didn't send in my Avengers 4 ??? ). I think for some, it's just a matter of doing what you can just so you can add the signature of an industry giant to your collection.

Now, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Captain America 109? It has a dynamic pose, it's a Silver Age book that I believe Stan worked on, and since it covers the origin, it's still quite appropriate to have Joe sign it as well. Heck, I'm almost half tempted to send mine in for the signature!

Another thought just occurred to me, what about som e of the Marvel 70th anniversary books like "All-Select," "Captain America Comics," or "Marvel Mystery"? They're readily available and have some connection to the creators.

(shrug)

+1 Those would be some great moderns to have signed. There are some pretty sweet 70th anniversary books out right now.

I feel you. Still, when I sent in books to Danny for sigs at the NY CC, the only book I had with a great Captain America cover for Joe Simon to sign was my McGuiness Cap #25 cover (not actually certain why I didn't send in my Avengers 4 ??? ). I think for some, it's just a matter of doing what you can just so you can add the signature of an industry giant to your collection.

Now, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Captain America 109? It has a dynamic pose, it's a Silver Age book that I believe Stan worked on, and since it covers the origin, it's still quite appropriate to have Joe sign it as well. Heck, I'm almost half tempted to send mine in for the signature!

I agree, I just picked up Captain America #109 for Stan & Joe to sign. I think it's a great book to get autographed with plenty of space for the signatures. Stan wrote it, Kirby did the art and it's an origin issue. Raw copies are also fairly inexpensive compared to most other key silver Cap books like Avengers 4 and Cap 100 plus there are reprints out there for just a few dollars as well..