• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Montreal COMIC CON Sept.19-20

65 posts in this topic

That's the million dollar question.

The show (new one that is) has gotten bigger each time, but I think it has yet to hit the 600 attendee mark during it's 5 year or so existence. Feel free to correct me if anyone has the figures.

IMHO exposure (ie) marketing, or lack of thereof, has been a big problem, but that too has improved. There are plenty of "readers" here, and I personally know of few "collectors", but then again several of my clients/friends in their 20s have suddenly shifted from moderns to vintage books, which is nice to see. I hope the trend continues. Without it back issues will die. But, we're all well aware of this problem.

I do hear of big time local collectors, but I do not actually know them, which I attribute to the fact that I don't sell much in the way of GOLDEN AGE and high grade SA books.

Anyways, I hope that provides some insight.

The show cannot improve unless you the people come out and support it.

:wishluck:

I will be there. I contacted the organisers to see if there would be a discount for kids, but it seems like a no go. I'm not sure if I want to take my 7 and 9 year old, drop $20 to get them in and have them board in 30 minutes. At $5 each I wouldn't mind so much.

There definitely seems to be a shift in collecting habits as people get older. Last time Wes told me that many of the $1 book early 20s are moving to $5 books. I guess that it goes step by step.

Mike

That's the million dollar question.

The show (new one that is) has gotten bigger each time, but I think it has yet to hit the 600 attendee mark during it's 5 year or so existence. Feel free to correct me if anyone has the figures.

IMHO exposure (ie) marketing, or lack of thereof, has been a big problem, but that too has improved. There are plenty of "readers" here, and I personally know of few "collectors", but then again several of my clients/friends in their 20s have suddenly shifted from moderns to vintage books, which is nice to see. I hope the trend continues. Without it back issues will die. But, we're all well aware of this problem.

I do hear of big time local collectors, but I do not actually know them, which I attribute to the fact that I don't sell much in the way of GOLDEN AGE and high grade SA books.

Anyways, I hope that provides some insight.

The show cannot improve unless you the people come out and support it.

:wishluck:

Thanks for the info. Wrong end of the country for me but I hope you smash attendance records.

I was going to attend. Then I found out who was running the show. A dealer that was over grading and over pricing his book's well beyond anything reasonable. I tried buying a GA Wonder Woman form him. He had it graded as 4.5 and priced to match. Plus a few more dollars. To bad the book was a 1.8 - 2.0 Not just graded that by me. But two other dealers at the show I was at.. :screwy:

I will be there. I contacted the organisers to see if there would be a discount for kids, but it seems like a no go. I'm not sure if I want to take my 7 and 9 year old, drop $20 to get them in and have them board in 30 minutes. At $5 each I wouldn't mind so much.

There definitely seems to be a shift in collecting habits as people get older. Last time Wes told me that many of the $1 book early 20s are moving to $5 books. I guess that it goes step by step.

Mike

Now let's hope they make the jump to the $20+ books. :wishluck:

As I mentioned in the Signature Room forum, I will be going to this event on behalf of CGC and the Joe Shuster Awards. I'll be accepting submissions for CGC grading directly for the company, as well as handling any Signature Series requests.

I was going to attend. Then I found out who was running the show. A dealer that was over grading and over pricing his book's well beyond anything reasonable. I tried buying a GA Wonder Woman form him. He had it graded as 4.5 and priced to match. Plus a few more dollars. To bad the book was a 1.8 - 2.0 Not just graded that by me. But two other dealers at the show I was at.. :screwy:

There are plenty of other great dealers at this event.

As I mentioned in the Signature Room forum, I will be going to this event on behalf of CGC and the Joe Shuster Awards. I'll be accepting submissions for CGC grading directly for the company, as well as handling any Signature Series requests.
Wonderful. I heard the same from Oscar last evening. I do have one question though Kevin. Would it cost any more to submit through you than it would if I were to do it myself as per usual?

Thanks!