• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was this is a good buy?

30 posts in this topic

Welcome to the boards!! I can't say that I can offer you THE expert appraisal about this book - but here's my opinion. Apologies for the candour.

1) It guides for $10.

2) It isn't scarce, and there are plenty of copies out there.

3) It's a reprint, so it's unlikely that it'll be the next USM 1.

4) Beware comics that have the word "collectible" in the title or on the cover blurb. A comics' collectibility is in inverse proportion to these factors.

5) It's new. Ish.

6) The market for high grade moderns is the most volatile area of the hobby.

Having said all that, there may well be a market for this book that I'm unfamiliar with, and it is a 9.8.

Also, it's a particularly striking cover - very gaudy.

I admit that most of the above was stating the bleedin' obvious, but it's MHO.

Learn the market before throwing money at it, and if YOU like this book, then it's a good buy. Most importantly however, learn how to grade, and in future you'll find raw 9.8s for a fraction of that price if you're prepared to hunt and go to conventions.

This book according to the Overstreet Guide is listed at $10.00 for a 9.4. According to the Comic Buyer's Guide (CBG), 9.8 comics are selling at a 10.2 multiple. So you are looking at around $120.00, depending on demand. Since this is a reprint, I don't think the demand it too high - but I am not a Spider-man collector, so I may be wrong.

4) Beware comics that have the word "collectible" in the title or on the cover blurb. A comics' collectibility is in inverse proportion to these factors.

I think Superman #1 has "Collector's Edition" or something to that effect on the cover.

foreheadslap.gif

I like the book, but then again, I am a Venom fan. This is the first time I have seen it. Is it a 3rd printing? It doesn’t look like the second printing.

$205 for a CGC modern doesn’t shock me. I have serious doubts they will stay that high, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, thanks for showing me yet another book I need to acquire to keep my collection complete.

I think Superman #1 has "Collector's Edition" or something to that effect on the cover.

foreheadslap.gif

I just checked my Gerber and it doesn't, but your post got me thinking - I'm sure Stan the Man claimed that many if not most of his Silver Age comics were collectors' items -and of course there was the title of that name. Looks like Marvel have been repeating that trick for aeons.

Let's say that that rule applies to post- Bronze Age comics.

According to the Comic Buyer's Guide (CBG), 9.8 comics are selling at a 10.2 multiple.

I understand you were just sharing the information...but I would never rely on blind multiples like that based soley on a books 9.8 grade to determine a price, and with no regard to what the actual book is. 893whatthe.gif

thumbsup2.gif Just trying to give a rookie the 'best case' scenario grin.gif

foreheadslap.gif

I just checked my Gerber and it doesn't, but your post got me thinking - I'm sure Stan the Man claimed that many if not most of his Silver Age comics were collectors' items -and of course there was the title of that name. Looks like Marvel have been repeating that trick for aeons.

Let's say that that rule applies to post- Bronze Age comics.

You're right. It's a silver age Marvel I'm thinking about.

I just can't remember which one it is.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I have been looking to pick up a copy of that book since it came out. It is pretty popular and raw copies fetch a lot more than guide (3x-4x). With that being said I don't feel a 9.8 is worth more than $100 bucks since others have pointed out it isn't particularly rare.

And somebody...QUICK...

Hide this thread from JC!

893whatthe.gif

Why, this is the biggest laugh I've had since redhook to Photoshop to Queer Eye. 27_laughing.gif

I though my side was gona split when I saw that.

27_laughing.gif

Well you got one of 29 copies graded 9.8.And there are (3) 9.9's out there.Perhaps you should check the population report before dishing out that much dough for a reprint.Too bad you weren't the seller instead of the buyer!

I sold this book in 2001 for $76.00 ebay item 1044575634. There are a series of these chromium reprints. One reprinting Spider-Man (1990) # 1 - I sold a

CGC 10.0 to dolphinsrwj. I have 2 Xmen reprints as well - I think one is a GS X-men reprint? I'll have to look and check , buried in my longboxes frown.gif

I sold this book in 2001 for $76.00 ebay item 1044575634. There are a series of these chromium reprints. One reprinting Spider-Man (1990) # 1 - I sold a

CGC 10.0 to dolphinsrwj. I have 2 Xmen reprints as well - I think one is a GS X-men reprint? I'll have to look and check , buried in my longboxes frown.gif

I'll take 'em all.