• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting article about what the next generation will collect

158 posts in this topic

Barbie, Bratz, Mighty Morphin Power Ranger, My Little Pony, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will be collectible in the 2020s. Princess material has potential. The craze has shown surprising staying power. Say goodbye to GI Joe. He lost the battle. :( I fear for this generation... I geuss this means fewer people will be collecting comics then. O'well hopefuly this means less competition over hard to find high grade comics! :slapfight:

I see no future collectibility for video games and the machines on which they are played and computers.

Couldn't disagree more.

It's not even a matter of agreeing or disagreeing really, he is simply wrong. Video games are already collected, and the generation that grew up with NES is just now reaching the age where they have serious disposable income. If the hobby is already doing well, it has nowhere to go but up in the next 10 years.

The author obviously didn't do his homework.

Yeah, I am also surprised at the authors lack of insight. Atari, NES, SNES, and PS1 have already become collectibles with games going for over $1,000 for each of these systems. In fact someone recently paid $17,500 for an NES game.
I heard about that too. First time I heard it I thought it was a joke!

Yeah, I am also surprised at the authors lack of insight. Atari, NES, SNES, and PS1 have already become collectibles with games going for over $1,000 for each of these systems. In fact someone recently paid $17,500 for an NES game.
I heard about that too. First time I heard it I thought it was a joke!

That game was limited to 100 copies when it was made to pimp Frad Savage's movie, I believe. I wouldn't read much into that specific transaction.

Nevertheless, vintage video games will be collected for decades.

Does anyone out there collect basketball shoes?

Lots of people I know do.

I personally prefer wear Jordan XVII's.

It's my favorite show of all time. My latest pair ran me $300 with shipping.

:eek:

I'm looking to pick up a few other shoes I've been fond of playing in. I'm not a collector though.

I collect various types of those that "pump" up. I bought and wore the first ones they made, and just kept up with it.

Some of those early Nike's can go for big bucks.

A collection of pumps would be infinitely more interesting than "pump" ups. hm

I actually think books in general will be sought after future collectibles once the internet drives them almost to the point of extinction and rewrites the truth and history that's in them to brainwash the future masses.

People will actually want to read a printed page and that primitive action might be one of the few things beyond the scrutiny of a Big Brother state unlike all the other information that will be available on the net they will want you to consume.

I collect various types of those that "pump" up. I bought and wore the first ones they made, and just kept up with it.

Some of those early Nike's can go for big bucks.

A collection of pumps would be infinitely more interesting than "pump" ups. hm

I actually think books in general will be sought after future collectibles once the internet drives them almost to the point of extinction and rewrites the truth and history that's in them to brainwash the future masses.

People will actually want to read a printed page and that primitive action might be one of the few things beyond the scrutiny of a Big Brother state unlike all the other information that will be available on the net they will want you to consume.

Goodness.

Time to throw a hammer at the screen again....?

Carol Bergeron, who sells on Ruby Lane.com as Antiques on Canaan Street, wrote in a recent e-mail: “A current concern seems to be that maybe the tide has turned so far that the new generation has no need or interest in collecting. They are ‘into’ other things….” Carol is not correct. Collecting is an integral component of our individual and national psyche. There always will be collectors. The only question that needs to be asked is what will they collect?

I think he's wrong right off the bat here. Yes, there will always be collectors, for anything and everything, but there is not a shred of doubt in my mind that collecting as a whole will wane due to the exponential growth of other alternatives in the globalized digital era, as our entertainment options become either more mass-produced, interactive and/or disposable, and as the reality sets in that future generations may have less disposable income, space and bountiful investment returns than recent ones. There will always be collectors, for any and everything, but there will be fewer of them, they will spend less, and be much more fragmented. The last point is key - it is unlikely that another collecting hobby will emerge to become as big as coins, stamps, comics or trading cards from all the alternatives cited.

I have and still do maintain that collecting videogame cartridges is likely to always be a niche hobby. I'm not suggesting for a moment it will go away or that prices won't escalate for certain items, but I doubt it will ever spawn the kind of collecting industry that, say, comics have. Videogames will thrive, but the collecting of them in the way *we* think of collecting (not just keeping old cartridges in the closet as you replace them with new games and consoles) - it will never get there, IMO. All the "well, if only 0.1% or 1% of all videogame players get into collecting arguments" are the same as the "well, if every American company can sell 1 Coke/car/stick of deodorant to the Chinese" that never seem to materialize. Based on how I see societal trends evolving, I'll bet against it.

Same goes for old cell phones, iPods and computers - that is destined to be an even more niche collecting hobby. Who wants to store and display all this stuff, and is there enough interest to develop a grading system, etc. for this kind of hobby? Will there ever be a market for price guides for this stuff, antique electronic conventions on the scale of the SDCC, etc.? How can that ever possibly gain the critical mass? Again, destined to be a niche hobby.

I think the bottom line is that you can throw out the "rules" of the 20th century, because of the hyper-change we've experienced in society over the past 15-20 years. Collecting is destined to be less widespread, much more fragmented and ultimately less profitable than previous generations have experienced, IMO. hm

Videogames constantly create new characters while Marvel/DC continue to milk the same characters(Batman,Spider-man,Superman,Mutants). case in point, I bought my 8 year old son a Spider-man/Venom Todd Mcfarlane comic this Saturday morning. After about 3 hours, I noticed it was still in the bag and unlooked at as he was playing the X-box 360 Live, I asked why he didn`t even look at the Spider-man comic and he said he didn`t know how to open the bag up with the tape on it to get the Spider-man comic out,also that he knew Spider-man would win because he always does, so why read it? plus he was having too much fun playing Mini Ninjas on the X-box 360. This is a 8 year old who considers Spider-man/Venom by Todd McFarlane battle boring. This tells me these things like music are generational and comics should now focus on getting young adults interested,especially the female audience as the young male audience rather play videogames.

I think he's wrong right off the bat here. Yes, there will always be collectors, for anything and everything, but there is not a shred of doubt in my mind that collecting as a whole will wane due to the exponential growth of other alternatives in the globalized digital era, as our entertainment options become either more mass-produced, interactive and/or disposable...

I agree totally... at least given the psychographics of the millenials. In general, the millenials do not fit the "collecting" paradigm because they do not subscribe to accumulating material possessions. They are digitally based. For instance, millenials don't think twice about paying $9.99 for a digital download from iTunes. Me as a GenX? If I'm paying $9.99 I want something I can touch and keep and won't disappear if my computer crashes. May seem trivial, but it shows a huge difference in the way people view "possessions."

(Some major corporations and NASA have studied the millenials in great detail, and their effect upon entering the workplace. The studies are out there... you should read them... it's quite eye opening.)

and be much more fragmented. The last point is key - it is unlikely that another collecting hobby will emerge to become as big as coins, stamps, comics or trading cards from all the alternatives cited...

I think the bottom line is that you can throw out the "rules" of the 20th century, because of the hyper-change we've experienced in society over the past 15-20 years. Collecting is destined to be less widespread, much more fragmented and ultimately less profitable than previous generations have experienced, IMO. hm

This is a huge point and cannot be overstated. The homogenous culture of the 40s - 70s is gone. Gone, gone, gone. There are few water cooler conversations in the morning anymore because everyone is at home every night doing something different. The closest thing we have to any sort of mass cultural touchpoint anymore is American Idol.... and relatively speaking, it is dwarfed compared to the mass pop cultural experiences of the past. For the past 25 years, kids have had TVs with 250 channels and huge toy supercenters and tens of thousands of entertainment/toy choices. Plus they get showered with toys all year long in ways I could have only dreamed about as a kid. (For me it was birthday and Christmas... and if they toy eisle in K-Mart didn't have it, I was out of luck.)

Because of this, I agree that it will be highly unlikely any collecting medium will have the mass following that coins, stamps, comics or trading cards ever enjoyed.

The author obviously didn't do his homework.

That's a very nice way of putting it. :insane:

What he fails to understand is that age has a ton to do with it, and the years between 6 and 12 are integral, not what they're doing between 15 and 25, which is where this maroon concentrates.