• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting article about what the next generation will collect

158 posts in this topic

I couldn't care less about, and know little about, video and role playing games.

However, my three sons 29, 30 and 31, are heavy into them. But they do not "collect" them. Thye just like to play them and throw them around like they do their car keys.

I just don't see them being collected by a large group of people, but I do see people showing off their games that are hard to find. As to spending the large amounts of money on them that is comparable to comic book collector purchases.

Won't happen except by a very very few rich people or a few fanatics.

Nope. The allure of a video game is gone when you "beat it", as I see it. It does not equate with the allure of a comic book after it is read.

Having said all of that, I still believe comic book collecting will become a smaller pool than it is currently. It isn't that large right now, and is shrinking annually, from what I have observed. When I was a kid, almost everyone (boys) collected comic books. Now, you have to look long and hard to find a kid who collects comic books. Few women are into games also, which equals the percentages that are into comics.

Comic books will do okay for another fifteen to twenty years, but then, IMHO, it is over. A lot depends on world and country financial apsects though. If things get real good financially, they may go anotherten years beyond that.

All speculation and guessing I know. But hey. Isn't that what we comic collectors do all of the time?

Don't be fooled - I think it's just a lot of semantics and nomenclature. How many of those 109,000 hits are people with "videogame collections" like I have a "DVD collection"? I have a DVD collection and a CD collection but I would not call myself a "DVD collector" or a "CD collector". I do not buy DVDs or CDs for their inherent collectibility. I do not care about completing DVD or CD runs. I do not buy DVD or CD price guides. I do not hope that my DVDs or CDs will appreciate in value. I do not flip through back release bins of DVDs or CDs. I do not subscribe to GPAnalysis for DVDs or CDs. I do not trade or resell DVDs or CDs. I do not press DVDs or CDs. I do not restore DVDs or CDs. I do not go to DVD or CD conventions. I do not slab my DVDs or CDs. I do not keep my DVDs or CDs in mylar or plastic or special boxes. I do not catalog my DVDs or CDs. I do not value a DVD or CD more if it is "Mint In Box" because then I couldn't use it.

My point is, there are videogame "collectors" like the 109,000 people who posted on YouTube and then there are videogame collectors like Bronty and Captain of Industry - those who identify themselves first and foremost as collectors just as almost everybody this Board would identify themselves as comic collectors. Due to the ubiquity of videogames in society, it's easy for the lines to get blurred. The wrong conclusion to draw is that everyone with a "videogame collection" is a videogame "collector" like we think of comic collectors (going through my partly tongue-in-cheek DVD/CD collector analogy above).

I know COI and JC and Bronty, all guys whose opinions I respect very much, believe that this is the next big big thing, but I respectfully disagree. If we were extrapolating the 20th century forward, it would be a no-brainer. But I believe that fundamental changes have occurred and it's not going to be that simple. Only time will tell; in the meantime, I'm content to leave it at that as I know nobody's mind will be changed from further discussion. :juggle:

I respect your opinion too and ultimately nobody has a crystal ball. We'll see. It will be fun to bump these topics in 10, 20 years if we are still on this site and see how things played out both in comics and in other collectibles.

I have a DVD collection and a CD collection but I would not call myself a "DVD collector" or a "CD collector". I do not buy DVDs or CDs for their inherent collectibility. I do not care about completing DVD or CD runs. I do not buy DVD or CD price guides. I do not hope that my DVDs or CDs will appreciate in value. I do not flip through back release bins of DVDs or CDs. I do not subscribe to GPAnalysis for DVDs or CDs. I do not trade or resell DVDs or CDs. I do not press DVDs or CDs. I do not restore DVDs or CDs. I do not go to DVD or CD conventions. I do not slab my DVDs or CDs. I do not keep my DVDs or CDs in mylar or plastic or special boxes. I do not catalog my DVDs or CDs. I do not value a DVD or CD more if it is "Mint In Box" because then I couldn't use it.

y:

:roflmao: That is the funniest thing I've read all week, that was hilarious!!! "I do not go to DVD or CD conventions"...OMG that was freakin' classic! lol

There was a few pretty good lines there for sure ;)

It was a thoughtful post, but clearly the poster wishes this outcome to come true (no offense, just stating the obvious). Me, I don't necessarily *want* my view of the future of collecting to come true, but, in a high stakes wager, I'd have to go with it as I believe it, objectively speaking, to be the most probable outcome. :sorry:

There may be a genetic predisposition to hoard, but the kind of collecting affliction that causes someone to pay 10x more for a 9.8 than a 9.6 definitely has a lot of social causality to it. Collecting in North America, as we know and understand it, was no doubt influenced by many non-genetic factors: an abundance of wealth, an abundance of personal and storage space, evolution of pop culture and technology which helped stoke nostalgia, etc. People who live at a subsistence level may have a genetic pre-disposition to hoard, but they can't do much about it. People who have very little living space (e.g., citizens of Tokyo) can't accumulate the grotesque-sized comic collections that a lot of us have simply because the environment won't allow it.

No doubt societal and technological changes have caused more changes in collecting patterns by making hobbies more accessible, cost-efficient, etc. Not to mention the ego culture that the Internet has enabled. However, technology, globalization, etc. have also caused other changes that have undermined the collecting hobbies. I think it is far too simplistic to equate the rejection of materialism of the '60s counter-culture movement to the Millennials (great post Mr.Zipper) lack of interest in collecting things. For starters, obviously materialism and collecting are not the same thing. Millennials are very materialistic but express that in different ways (aspirational clothing and luxury brands, latest and greatest electronic gadgets, etc.) than collecting things like baseball cards or comic books.

Hope that wasn't too rambling. rantrant

Very interesting stuff.

I think I agree with you on some of your points, and disagree with others. I'm going to ask for clarification.

Here's where I think we agree (and I may be guilty of extrapolating on what you wrote)--

1) the Post-WW II American rise to riches and subsequent spending spree are over and we won't see its like again for the forseeable future, if ever. This will impact all collectible hobbies.

2) Post-WW II American collectibles benefitted a great deal from the aforementioned spending spree, sending prices to levels that can not and eventually will not be maintained.

3) American pop culture collectibles will be irrelevant in a global collectible marketplace, due to the ephermeral nature of pop culture. What is hot today in American pop culture collectibles will not be hot tomorrow, especially in China, India, wherever.

Are you saying this? I confess I'm naive here, but does foreign money have that big on an impact on the current American pop culture collectibles market? I'm not trying to sound cheeky, I really don't know.

Here is where we may disagree (again, perhaps guilty of extrapolation)--

1) I don't see how living space makes much of an impact on whether or not to become a "collector." If you don't have alot of room, wouldn't it make sense that your collectibles would tend to be smaller? Also, I don't quite see how the size of you living space must equal your income. I bet aparments in Tokyo are pretty expensive, same as in Manhattan. And since you mentioned Japan, that made me think of the Japanese netsuke, tiny carved statues made of ivory, no bigger than two inches high, and very collectible.

2) I would argue that the desire to own "aspirational clothing, luxury brands, cool gadgets etc., " is not soley the domain of the Millenials, and is a "vice" of members every generation. (Although not all members, of course.)

3) People who live on a substinence level are still perfectly capable of collecting something, it just might not be something considered to be an item of worth by others. Person A's nifty (and cheap) paper-clip collection looks like junk to Person B, who collects Tiffany lamps.

I really do think we need to give the Millenials more time to "cook," that is, for them to reach an age where they not only have the means, but also the nostalgia, to become pop culture collectors.

This could take awhile, and they may never have the desire/means to spend the kind of money on pop culture collectibles that their parents did, but that doesn't mean they won't collect something.

I think we could be guilty of assuming they're going to choose to collect something that already has an inherent worth, be it comic book, videogame, etc.

In fact, don't most pop culture collectibles take everyone by surprise because part of their nature was to once be worthless?

This reminds me of those stories about people paying real world money to own something virtual for their on-line RPG character. Perhaps this is the future of collectibles?

When I compared Boomer and Millenial rejections of materialism, it was in the heat of the moment and I wish to add an addendum. It is my understanding that Boomers who rejected materialism in the 60s/70s were doing so for ideological reasons, because they could afford to. Millenials, if they are rejecting materialism, may be doing so for pracitcal reasons, because they can't afford not to.

As for your comment about what makes someone pay 10x guide for a 9.8 over a 9.6, well, I don't know, it's madness to me, too.

I couldn't care less about, and know little about, video and role playing games

Oddly enough, that doesn't seem to stop you from being so sure about their collectibility. I tend to stay out of discussions when I know little to nothing, or don't care about, the subject at hand.

However, my three sons 29, 30 and 31, are heavy into them. But they do not "collect" them. Thye just like to play them and throw them around like they do their car keys.

Right, and that's what kids were supposed to do with SA comics. :makepoint:

I just don't see them being collected by a large group of people

They already are collected by large groups of people. They already are collected by large groups of people. They already are collected by large groups of people. They already are collected by large groups of people. They already are collected by large groups of people. They already are collected by large groups of people. They already are collected by large groups of people. They already are collected by large groups of people.

It was a thoughtful post, but clearly the poster wishes this outcome to come true (no offense, just stating the obvious). Me, I don't necessarily *want* my view of the future of collecting to come true, but, in a high stakes wager, I'd have to go with it as I believe it, objectively speaking, to be the most probable outcome. :sorry:

There may be a genetic predisposition to hoard, but the kind of collecting affliction that causes someone to pay 10x more for a 9.8 than a 9.6 definitely has a lot of social causality to it. Collecting in North America, as we know and understand it, was no doubt influenced by many non-genetic factors: an abundance of wealth, an abundance of personal and storage space, evolution of pop culture and technology which helped stoke nostalgia, etc. People who live at a subsistence level may have a genetic pre-disposition to hoard, but they can't do much about it. People who have very little living space (e.g., citizens of Tokyo) can't accumulate the grotesque-sized comic collections that a lot of us have simply because the environment won't allow it.

No doubt societal and technological changes have caused more changes in collecting patterns by making hobbies more accessible, cost-efficient, etc. Not to mention the ego culture that the Internet has enabled. However, technology, globalization, etc. have also caused other changes that have undermined the collecting hobbies. I think it is far too simplistic to equate the rejection of materialism of the '60s counter-culture movement to the Millennials (great post Mr.Zipper) lack of interest in collecting things. For starters, obviously materialism and collecting are not the same thing. Millennials are very materialistic but express that in different ways (aspirational clothing and luxury brands, latest and greatest electronic gadgets, etc.) than collecting things like baseball cards or comic books.

Hope that wasn't too rambling. rantrant

Very interesting stuff.

I think I agree with you on some of your points, and disagree with others. I'm going to ask for clarification.

Here's where I think we agree (and I may be guilty of extrapolating on what you wrote)--

1) the Post-WW II American rise to riches and subsequent spending spree are over and we won't see its like again for the forseeable future, if ever. This will impact all collectible hobbies.

2) Post-WW II American collectibles benefitted a great deal from the aforementioned spending spree, sending prices to levels that can not and eventually will not be maintained.

3) American pop culture collectibles will be irrelevant in a global collectible marketplace, due to the ephermeral nature of pop culture. What is hot today in American pop culture collectibles will not be hot tomorrow, especially in China, India, wherever.

Are you saying this? I confess I'm naive here, but does foreign money have that big on an impact on the current American pop culture collectibles market? I'm not trying to sound cheeky, I really don't know.

Here is where we may disagree (again, perhaps guilty of extrapolation)--

1) I don't see how living space makes much of an impact on whether or not to become a "collector." If you don't have alot of room, wouldn't it make sense that your collectibles would tend to be smaller? Also, I don't quite see how the size of you living space must equal your income. I bet aparments in Tokyo are pretty expensive, same as in Manhattan. And since you mentioned Japan, that made me think of the Japanese netsuke, tiny carved statues made of ivory, no bigger than two inches high, and very collectible.

2) I would argue that the desire to own "aspirational clothing, luxury brands, cool gadgets etc., " is not soley the domain of the Millenials, and is a "vice" of members every generation. (Although not all members, of course.)

3) People who live on a substinence level are still perfectly capable of collecting something, it just might not be something considered to be an item of worth by others. Person A's nifty (and cheap) paper-clip collection looks like junk to Person B, who collects Tiffany lamps.

I really do think we need to give the Millenials more time to "cook," that is, for them to reach an age where they not only have the means, but also the nostalgia, to become pop culture collectors.

This could take awhile, and they may never have the desire/means to spend the kind of money on pop culture collectibles that their parents did, but that doesn't mean they won't collect something.

I think we could be guilty of assuming they're going to choose to collect something that already has an inherent worth, be it comic book, videogame, etc.

In fact, don't most pop culture collectibles take everyone by surprise because part of their nature was to once be worthless?

This reminds me of those stories about people paying real world money to own something virtual for their on-line RPG character. Perhaps this is the future of collectibles?

When I compared Boomer and Millenial rejections of materialism, it was in the heat of the moment and I wish to add an addendum. It is my understanding that Boomers who rejected materialism in the 60s/70s were doing so for ideological reasons, because they could afford to. Millenials, if they are rejecting materialism, may be doing so for pracitcal reasons, because they can't afford not to.

As for your comment about what makes someone pay 10x guide for a 9.8 over a 9.6, well, I don't know, it's madness to me, too.

A very well thought out post. hm

Oddly enough, that doesn't seem to stop you from being so sure about their collectibility. I tend to stay out of discussions when I know little to nothing, or don't care about, the subject at hand.

They already are collected by large groups of people. They already are collected by large groups of people. They already are collected by large groups of people. They already are collected by large groups of people. They already are collected by large groups of people. They already are collected by large groups of people. They already are collected by large groups of people. They already are collected by large groups of people.

lol go andrew go :):popcorn:

I checked out some random youtube hits like andrew said... I don't know how anyone can pretend these people aren't collectors. Rooms crammed top to bottom in the most OCD way imaginable. This was the first hit I got - he even set the frickin' video to game music for god's sake :whatthe:

I checked out some random youtube hits like andrew said... I don't know how anyone can pretend these people aren't collectors. Rooms crammed top to bottom in the most OCD way imaginable. This was the first hit I got - he even set the frickin' video to game music for god's sake :whatthe:

I could fill a 10+ page thread with similar links on youtube, and to various message boards all over the interwebs where people showcase their game collections in a similar fashion, but I'm not going to bother. meh

I could also mention that the video you linked to has 135,588 views, with 3,141 text comments, but I won't. :whistle:

One other thing; that guy's channel is all about his collection and game collecting vids, and he has 14,120 subscribers. That's quite interesting, considering that games are soooooo not collectible.

One other thing; that guy's channel is all about his collection and game collecting vids, and he has 14,120 subscribers. That's quite interesting, considering that games are soooooo not collectible.

Here you are. I've been looking all over for you...

:whistle:

When I scroll up, to see who you are replying to...I find no surprise whatseoever...

When I scroll up, to see who you are replying to...I find no surprise whatseoever...

noob

Regardless of what the next generation is going to collect, it WON'T be hardcopy comics. The trend towards a paperless society is well on it's way and the next generation will see comics as an archaic artifact that is interesting but not an item to collect. Despite the well-intentioned wish that comic collecting in it's current form will continue, even for the rarist items, the demographics and interests of the emerging generation says it will not be so.

It will be a very small niche hobby with nary much attention nor desire to collect within a couple decades. Don't wish it was true but the writing has been on the wall for awhile now. Eventually, the small group of collectors who have shelled out big bucks for ultra HG copies will either be regreting their buys or selling at vast losses.

I know we've discussed this at length before but being away from the hobby for awhile has only reinforced this opinion.

Jim

noob

:shrug:

Was there something particularly noobish about my statement?

I mean, other than adding an extra "e" to "whatsoever"...? :blush:

I can't WAIT for the day when I'll be able to buy my Tec #27 for $5...

YAY!

A common refrain...

But you sure as hell won't be, happily, hoarding "common" issues while you're buying all those grails. Limited collectors will sink all comics. Leaving collections as being more valuable as pet liners than collectibles...

Jim

Regardless of what the next generation is going to collect, it WON'T be hardcopy comics. The trend towards a paperless society is well on it's way and the next generation will see comics as an archaic artifact that is interesting but not an item to collect. Despite the well-intentioned wish that comic collecting in it's current form will continue, even for the rarist items, the demographics and interests of the emerging generation says it will not be so.

It will be a very small niche hobby with nary much attention nor desire to collect within a couple decades. Don't wish it was true but the writing has been on the wall for awhile now. Eventually, the small group of collectors who have shelled out big bucks for ultra HG copies will either be regreting their buys or selling at vast losses.

I know we've discussed this at length before but being away from the hobby for awhile has only reinforced this opinion.

Jim

Jim, I pretty much agree with you, but I'm curious--what advice would you give collectors today about making peace with the self-life of their hobby? Or are we all a little too loony?

Actually, I'll open this question up to the floor. What do you think, folks?