• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cash or Credit

51 posts in this topic

Excuse me while I publicly let go my frustration...

Today, my Grail was up for auction. It didn't meet reserve and I was the underbidder. I could have pushed it higher, but then I would have had to take on debt. I've never bought a comic that wasn't paid in full when the next credit card statement came.

I have a comic book fund that is separate from all other savings/investments/retirement/emergency accounts. I could have also easily gone there for the funds.

Was it a mistake to let Flash Comics #1 go? Is it common to buy with credit?

How much are we talking about? You said you "could have pushed it" - what was the difference?

Credit works for you. If you put that Flash 1 on a credit card, you could have gotten a free flight somewhere. If you take two months to pay the bill off, you're still ahead of the game. You're NOT going to pile debt up, you're just doing time payments, and getting something for your money.

I absolutely do not understand the "CREDIT IS BAD" screams I hear. I'd much rather pay for something six weeks from now than right now and get something free for it. I haven't paid to fly for pleasure travel in years - Mrs. Donut and I are flying to Paris in February for our anniversary for free on miles, saving roughly $20K on airfare. I've had to let the miles add up, but who cares? I pay for everything on the card, and then pay it off when the bill comes.

Holy shizzle... first class seats?

I also don't get the 'credit is bad' screams. I use my credit card to pay for almost ever bill I have in day-to-day living. It defers cash outflows by about a month. In the case of a few larger comic purchases, this gave me a month to raise cash through sales to pay the bill. It was handy.

Just an FYI...there's a Flash #1 CGC 1.8 in the comicconnect auction starting in a few weeks.

Thanks for the heads up. But, I think I'd rather have a nicer copy, restored.

me too...

The #2 is nice, but I love the #3. Really sharp .

My old books :cloud9:

:blahblah:

:makepoint:

:whatev:

You're just reading the sports section. Hand over the comics.

can't, got birds :baiting:

Excuse me while I publicly let go my frustration...

Today, my Grail was up for auction. It didn't meet reserve and I was the underbidder. I could have pushed it higher, but then I would have had to take on debt. I've never bought a comic that wasn't paid in full when the next credit card statement came.

I have a comic book fund that is separate from all other savings/investments/retirement/emergency accounts. I could have also easily gone there for the funds.

Was it a mistake to let Flash Comics #1 go? Is it common to buy with credit?

Is this a book you are going to hold onto for a long time or are you buying it with the intention to flip it and upgrade? If it is the former, then you should pay cash for it.

If it is the latter (i.e. flip), then if it makes sense numbers wise to use credit (I would go with LOC over CC since it is a lower interest rate) based on the interest rate vs. expected return on reselling the book, I would have no problem using my LOC. In fact, I have done this several times on collections and higher $$$ books and it has worked out very well. :devil:

Just an FYI...there's a Flash #1 CGC 1.8 in the comicconnect auction starting in a few weeks.

Thanks for the heads up. But, I think I'd rather have a nicer copy, restored.

me too...

Me three! I'm also looking for one in low grade unrestored condition that presents nicely.