• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what were your ten favorite forum threads of all time?

106 posts in this topic

My favorite threads:

and of course 10) Anything involving the Goth Princess grin.gif

cloud9.gif

I miss her...

No more Goth Princess?

She's been mostly gone for months now... She cut her schedule way back a few months ago and she's been focusing on other things...

She hasn't been "scheduled" for any hours for quite a while. But she still dropped by occasionally , I tried to find work for her if I could. I suspect that her budding career as a dancer will mean she only returns as a customer from now on... But thankfully, JTHM is like crackrock for dancers, so she has already brought me three new customers, "Sunshine", "Jasmine", and "Summer"... smile.gif

My favorite threads:

and of course 10) Anything involving the Goth Princess grin.gif

cloud9.gif

I miss her...

No more Goth Princess?

She's been mostly gone for months now... She cut her schedule way back a few months ago and she's been focusing on other things...

She hasn't been "scheduled" for any hours for quite a while. But she still dropped by occasionally , I tried to find work for her if I could. I suspect that her budding career as a dancer will mean she only returns as a customer from now on... But thankfully, JTHM is like crackrock for dancers, so she has already brought me three new customers, "Sunshine", "Jasmine", and "Summer"... smile.gif

JTHM?

JTHM?

Johnny The Homicidal Maniac...

I sell 50-60 copies a year of each of the seven issues... and I have sold at least 40 sets of the title to exotic dancers... they just can't get enough...

BTW, with no new issues out, JTHM is usually around 13th place among "new" comics in my shop... sumo.gif

My favorite Totally Evil thread was the deadly 50 car pileup that was the "Most Positive Contributor" thread. It was just so wrong it was right, if you know what I mean. The bitter, painful irony of a flame war breaking out in the middle of that thread can't really be topped.

27_laughing.gif That and the Stick of Butter in the Attic thread were classics... thumbsup2.gif

27_laughing.gif That and the Stick of Butter in the Attic thread were classics... thumbsup2.gif

The original "butter thread" was in the marketplace, so it's no longer in the archives... frown.gif

However, the story of the Great Butter Collection is alive and well, copied below from this link!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Metropolis Proudly Presents the Devil's Lake Collection

Industry News, Scoop, Friday, December 13, 2002

We just spoke to our friends at Metropolis - and they had the following extraordinary story to share: Twenty five years ago an elderly lady in North Dakota passed away leaving her children so utterly devastated that they immediately and completely shut down her entire home as it was. It was boarded up and the entire contents of the house went untouched for the next quarter century. Then, in early September of this year, a local resident of Devil's Lake who owned a restaurant but doubled as a demolitionist, was called to tear down the home.

Enough time had passed and the family of the women wanted to take the dilapidated old house down and sell the property. After cracking the rickety boards off the entrance, the two children (now in their forties), and the gentleman entered the home to take out the contents that had been left behind. The family members went to the upstairs and began filling garbage bags with old clothes and family albums. The demolition expert decided to take a look in the basement. To do this he had to walk across the creaking floor of the living room and dining room, where he stumbled across two large depression era glass candy bowls filled with candies that had been sitting untouched for over 25 years. Next he entered the kitchen, where he found neatly placed on a table a plate, fork, knife, coffee mug and what seemed to be a small dirty yellow brick. He thought it odd and then realized it was the woman's butter she must have been using the morning of the day she passed away. And we even have a picture of it:

butr.jpg

He carefully made his way to the basement moving through the cobwebs and layers and layers of dust on the floor. After turning on his flashlight, he moved about the room and quite literally stumbled upon three large stacks of what he thought were old newspapers. Upon further inspection, he realized they were comic books. He carefully gathered up the books and placed them in a few milk crates and brought them upstairs. When he asked the siblings if they would like the comics, they said they were not interested and he could have them. After cataloguing the books, he emailed the offices of Metropolis Collectibles in New York City.

"When I heard the story, I was completely and happily surprised. When I began dealing comics these types of stories were common, but nowadays so many great collections have already been uncovered that stories like this one are seldom heard," states Metropolis' COO, Vincent Zurzolo. "What was equally surprising and a welcome relief was that the gentleman had accurately graded and priced the collection, even though he had no previous grading experience."

The collection was comprised of approximately 250 Golden Age comic books, including a Captain America #1, Captain Marvel Jr. #1 and Sub-Mariner #1. "This is the first time in the last few years that I can remember buying a collection where Timelys dominated the group," Metropolis CEO, Stephen Fishler, explains. Beyond the three keys mentioned were groups of Captain America, Comedy Comics, Human Torch, Mystic, Marvel Mystery Comics, Sub-Mariner, USA and All Winners Comics. Other titles included All American, All Flash Quarterly, All Star, Captain Marvel Jr., Batman, Blue Beetle, Big 3, Bulletman, Crack, Detective, Flash, Looney Tunes, Master, More Fun, Popular, Pep, National, Shadow, Superman, Top-Notch, True and Weird Comics. "Two books from the collection that stand out as incredibly hard to find are Flash Comics issues 30 and 39. We have never had these issues for sale before," Fishler also mentioned. "Overall, the collection varies in grade from high to low and all of the books have exceptionally supple white to off white pages," added Ed Sanchez, Metropolis Internet Operations Manager.

Hi Doc,

I thought that whole butter thing was a joke, but my GAWD! it was REAL!

Truth IS stranger than fiction, ain't it!

Red

Or in the case of this story, fiction is stranger then truth. wink.gif

There are so many good ones.

Nostalgia:

The thread where Ricky offered to beat me up and I showed my true colors: that of a cowardly, nonviolent female. It was my first thread on the forum. Ah, the memories. I later realized that it just part of the fun, and if no one ever offered to beat you up, you were nobody.

Personal fun:

Khaos's Crisis thread. He came up with the idea while we were PMing and I fell in love with it. But, you could probably tell that.

Flame War:

Has to be the classic "bag of 50 large" between Meth (he wasn't hammer in that one) and Supapimp. It was like watching a Lifetime Movie of the Week for men.

Informative:

Pov's dissertation on restoration.

Contest:

The Roasts! They were a blast, and I won a lot of swag in those bad boys.

Meltdown:

This is a toughie. Hammer's meltdowns are legendary, but I'm somewhat partial to the very first meltdown I witnessed, which was Crusty's threatened lawsuit over his having stolen scans. He was SO guilty, and it was so obvious, but he never swayed an inch from his innocence act. Great stuff.

Essays:

Lighthouse's tales of his travels.

There are a ton more, but I have to get back to work. Maybe later.

-- Joanna

Okay, I lied. I don't have the time to read all these classic since some of them go into 10+ pages of dialog. The moderators could make a killing reprinting these conversations into a TPB entitled "The Best/Worst of CGC forums". I'd pay $9.99 for it! Can we paraphrase the conversations like we did in Ivan vs. Metro.?

The great mystery…

Fathers Vintage Collection! Give Me a Break!!!! Ebay Item # 2205188514

I wonder if the guy ever got any money or if his wife allows him to bid on anything ever again.

“Wheels in motion” was entertaining.

I enjoy Ian’s DC hunt and the Cover threads. Makes me wish I had a scanner (and a book worth scanning).

Am I the only one that remembers the "Queer Eye" thread from...oh...

Yesterday?!?!?!

I really thought I was going to need medical attention when I saw that picture.

893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

Fathers Vintage Collection! Give Me a Break!!!! Ebay Item # 2205188514

Yep, that daddyslittlegirl scam was the best. It also seems that after selling some of his books off for a few bucks here and there, Master Investor eventinek has dropped off the face of the selling map. 27_laughing.gif

Probably getting an enema after the pounding he took. makepoint.gif

Come on! The Great Water Cooler Flame War?!?!? Coinees Vs. Commies (?) TO THE DEATH?!?!? Does no one remember that our liberties here have been built on the bodies of the shills that gave their lives that day???

Helga led a noble charge deep into the heart of the coin forum and her party was never heard from again! The latest intel indicates that they are still alive and discussing sample slabs and steel dimes as we speak!

A moment of silence for our fallen comrades.

And how about the last time Greggy said something worthwhile?? The Great Christmas Eve Flame Out of 2002?? Many were flamed, many were boxed.

And let us NEVER FORGET the Balki threads! DEL! COME HOME! WE MISS YOU! IT'S COLD OUT AND YOU NEED A SWEATER!

My couch is always open to you, my insufficiently_thoughtful_person man-child cousin from a small, obscure Eastern European country.

Of course, Crisis rules, the Roasts were tons o' fun, and 'House... your travelogues bring me closer to God. angel.gif

The Great Christmas Eve Flame Out of 2002??

That's my pick.

Come on! The Great Water Cooler Flame War?!?!? Coinees Vs. Commies (?) TO THE DEATH?!?!? Does no one remember that our liberties here have been built on the bodies of the shills that gave their lives that day???

I organized the damn thing and went in WITHOUT a shill, administered a beating on those coinees, and what did I get for it? Araich attacked ME!!! I've forgiven, but not forgotten.

The Great Christmas Eve Flame Out of 2002??

That's my pick.

I organized the damn thing and went in WITHOUT a shill, administered a beating on those coinees, and what did I get for it? Araich attacked ME!!! I've forgiven, but not forgotten.

Never forget! NEVER!!!!! Damn hippie Araich! 893frustrated.gif

Khaos is gonna boo.gif me for this, but my fave is the subject that brought me to the forums: The answer to the question When did the Bronze Age begin? which can be found

here

or here

or, maybe here.

I also fondly remember a couple of non-political Bugaboo threads:

- legendary Graemlin Wars with BOC

- the post-Superbowl 2003 brawl with card-guy MW1 (anyone remember " Boolean? ")

Joanna's various reviews/recreations of Wonder Woman, Lois Lane comics past

...and the various bricks&mortar and travelogue musings of 'House himself. flowerred.gif

boo.gifboo.gifboo.gifboo.gifboo.gifboo.gifboo.gifboo.gifboo.gifboo.gifboo.gifboo.gifstooges.gif