• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stronguy Reviews The Marvel Bronze Age

203 posts in this topic

Beerbohm's account is probably correct (or close to it). But the story I always heard about Conan #3 and its presumed "regional scarcity" was that, after the first two issues of the title showed some heat with fans who maybe missed them on the stands and were therefore willing to pay over cover for them, the third issue never quite made it to some of its intended retail points-of-sale, and was instead scooped up by the caseload through a black market of sorts (i.e., from ID warehouses, off the backs of trucks, etc.) by a growing number of savvy (and connected) dealers and dealer-collectors with the intent of marking them up and bilking the fanboys (I've heard similar tales about Silver Surfer #4 as well). I have no idea if they're true or not, but it makes sense...

(Afraid to ask) How much does a BWS splash like this go for?

I'd guess around $25k. Prices for premium Conan art have been going nuts for the past couple of years. Even Buscema SSOC panel pages are bringing $1000+.

Jeff!!!! Whats up??? You are reading all the bronze stuff??? WOW!!! I just saw this thread! lol I am reading all of this to save me time...So I dont have to read my bronze run... lol Its sad the amount of them I have read. One day when I retire...Maybe. :wishluck:

Jeff!!!! Whats up??? You are reading all the bronze stuff??? WOW!!! I just saw this thread! lol I am reading all of this to save me time...So I dont have to read my bronze run... lol Its sad the amount of them I have read. One day when I retire...Maybe. :wishluck:

Fo' shizzle!

This is (was) the best thread in a long time. It validated alot of my decisions to skip certain titles. Also, made me want to get some others.

I know it's a daunting task to cover them all. Maybe we can create a list of titles we want reviewed, so Jeff doesn't have to do them all???

I'd especially like to read the reviews of Peter Parker and Werewolf By Night.

And, let's throw Marvel Spotlight in there for good measure.

Hey guys, here's what's going on...

Got a job back in October and started reading Conan at the same time (that's 110 issues with the annuals). My average reading went waaay down but I did finish it a couple of weeks ago. I also started on Creatures On The Loose. I'm about 15 issues from finishing that.

The review for Conan 25-105 is in the works right now. I should be done with it in a couple of days and it will be shortly followed by Creatures.

The next big title to come up is Defenders with 80 issues.

Got a job back in October and started reading Conan at the same time (that's 110 issues with the annuals). My average reading went waaay down but I did finish it a couple of weeks ago. I also started on Creatures On The Loose. I'm about 15 issues from finishing that.

The review for Conan 25-105 is in the works right now. I should be done with it in a couple of days and it will be shortly followed by Creatures.

Don't forget to give the exciting review of the Conan 104 letter column.

good Conan review Stronguy, and no I wont tar n feather ya. Of course my favorite Conan Artist(s) are Big John Buscema inked by Ernie Chan

Buscema inking himself is IMO way better than EC's treatment.

In terms of BWS creating pukefest panels? Compared to what other interiors in the BA? Having seen his line in OA pieces I think it was consistently the best this side of Adams and Wrightson in the BA. I've recently reread the first 125 as well (Dark Horse Chronicles of Conan), curious to see what Jeff thinks of the 25-100, there was ebb and flow but I still thing Conan's run in the BA was the high water mark from 1-100. 2c

Would be nice to see this thread revived. :foryou:

In terms of BWS creating pukefest panels? Compared to what other interiors in the BA?

91309.jpg

Jeff,

The occasional facial proportions granted and documented, still the use of expression and detail / emotion in the depictions is still very innovative and surpasses most if not all the stuff I've seen in the BA. Roy and others have said that Barry had difficulty with time lines though in the end in his opinion the end result was worth the wait.

Anyway loved reading this thread and I do agree that the Deathlock run is one of the hidden gems of the BA. Thanks to Jeff for sitting through some of those BA runs.

And can't wait until the rest of the reviews are in.

Jason

Jeff,

The occasional facial proportions granted and documented, still the use of expression and detail / emotion in the depictions is still very innovative and surpasses most if not all the stuff I've seen in the BA. Roy and others have said that Barry had difficulty with time lines though in the end in his opinion the end result was worth the wait.

Anyway loved reading this thread and I do agree that the Deathlock run is one of the hidden gems of the BA. Thanks to Jeff for sitting through some of those BA runs.

And can't wait until the rest of the reviews are in.

Jason

My take on BWS Conan is, it's too bad he didn't have a couple more years of "his style" under his belt before it started. Every single one of the first 10 issues has some pretty poor art (compared with his later stuff) and it is surely not deserving of the god-like status that's been given to it. Sure, there are some real gems in there too but it's nowhere nearly as good as the last few issues.