• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade on Charlie's Books!

28 posts in this topic

Um.. wouldn't cleaning and pressing get a purple grade?

Charlie

If they could tell probably, but it is nearly impossible to tell if done correctly.

On to the grades......very tough to grade these off scans and especially considering the age of the books since we all know GA books are given a little extra consideration when grades are concerned.

Captain America (7.5)

Action 70 (8.5)

ASM #11 (8.0)

Avengers #4 (8.5)

Daring #11 (9.0)

Superman #35 (7.5)

Young Allies #7 (8.5) that chunk out of the top back cover looks pretty bad, but the cover looked so good I gave it a high grade.

Now the only way we can be friends is if you don't own all of these books...drool....drool...... 893applaud-thumb.gif

Is nobody else going to venture any guesses? Kryptonitecomics is about to become the winner of my little game by default!

I'll give you a clue:

Kryptonitecomics got exactly *one* right.

Was a half grade off from CGC on a few.. and way off on a few. :-)

Charlie

Captain America (7.0)

Action 70 (6.5)

ASM #11 (7.5)

Avengers #4 (8.0)

Daring #11 (8.5)

Superman #35 (8.0)

Young Allies #7 (8.5)

If I win the game do I get one of the books!? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

Cap 53: 7.5 Nasty top & bottom spine. Doesn't seem to be split though. Multiple stresses visible on the back.

Action 70: 8.0 Grubby cover, slight spine roll, foxing evident on the back.

ASM 11: 7.5 Multiple spine stresses, low gloss, lots of bending on the top edge.

Avengers 4: 7.5 Low gloss, impact to bottom of spine, irritating miswrap.

Daring 11: 7.0 Ink transfer on the cover, chips out top and bottom of the spine, back of the spine looks terrible. 6.0 if there's any spine split, can't tell.

Superman 35: 8.0 Slight spine roll, bottom right corner bent, small staple tears.

Young Allies 7: 6.5 Nasty chop to the top rear of the spine. Don't believe a 7.0 can have that. Otherwise, sweet book. thumbsup2.gif

I understand CGC is fairly lenient on GA books, so I bet I'm pretty low.

i'll guess 7.5 on that capt america. i, too, think it would go to an 8.0 if it was cleaned. still, a real nice book for 60+ years old.

as am aside, is that Bucky actually shooting the guy in the face?? must be a spy and not just a mobster, to justify that one. i'm not that familiar with GA books, but that has to be right at the top of the list for heavy violence on superhero covers. shocked.gif

You guys are going to be surprised when I post the actual grades.

(Spoiler warning: Clues ahead)

So far, the furthest "off" grade has been 2 1/2 grades off--while the most "right" has been 2 right. I'll throw out another clue--CGC was much nicer to me than you guys, for the most part. cool.gif But everybody went too high on at least one book (not necessarily the same book). blush.gifgrin.gif

By the way, Action # 70 (whatcha mean, grubby cover?) is the "D" copy. grin.gif

Charlie

What I think it is first and then what I think CGC gave it

Captain America 53 (6.0) (7.5)

Action 70 (5.0), (6.5)

ASM #11 (6.5) both

Avengers #4 ((7.5), (8.0)

Daring #11 (5.0) , (7.5)

Superman #35 (6.0) , (7.5)

Young Allies #7 (6.5), (8.5)

What you all said so far (not counting tomega's "what I think it is" grades) :

Captain America (7.0 x 2) (7.5 x 3)

Action 70 (6.5 x 2) (8.0) (8.5)

ASM #11 (6.5) (7.5 x 2) (8.0)

Avengers #4 (7.5) (8.0 x 2) (8.5)

Daring #11 (7.0) (7.5) (8.5) (9.0)

Superman #35 (7.5 x 2) (8.0 x 2)

Young Allies #7 (6.5) (8.5 x 3)

Wow, big spreads on the ASM, the Daring and the Action.

Young Allies has a bit of controversy too--three of you liked it two grades better than one of you did :-). Tomega's "what I think" grade agreed with that person.

Everybody seems pretty sure the Cap is in the 7's and the Sup is in the 7.5-8 range.

I just thought this was interesting and fun.. I'll leave it open for more guesses, but nobody's gotten more than two right (or, well, in agreement with CGC).

Answers coming soon..

On those first grades.. wow! Your harsh!

On those second grades.. two match CGC's actual grades.

I'm going away for the weekend, but I'll reveal the actual CGC grades when I get back.

Charlie

I guess in the context of CGC's opinion on golden age, they are definetly harsh. But that is not because I am "hater" ( as I think supapimp coined), I just think my grading is consistent of era. I do not concur with CGC's standards that vary by era. A fine 6.0 should be a a 6.0 whether it is from 1940 or 2004. At least it is well known that they do vary so that we can all have some common frame of reference.

Time to reveal the answers.. I can post the books with label if anybody wants.

Perhaps the problem was my scans were too large--I think the scans made defects look worse than they actually were. I'll try for more "actual size" scans in the future. All of these are CGC Universal Grade with no other condition comments...

Captain America #53, was CGC graded 8.5, one full grade higher than anybody guessed (and 1 1/2 grade higher than some had guessed.)

Action 70, the "D" Copy, was CGC graded 7.0, lower than most of you guessed (although one person guessed 6.5).

Amazing Spider-Man #11 was graded 8.0, one person got this one, the rest went lower.

Avengers #4 was graded 8.0, two people got this one right, and nobody was more than a half grade off.

Daring #11 got a 7.5, lower than most guesses (although one person guessed 7.0.) I personally thought this one should be higher.

Superman #35 Two were right on this one: CGC gave it an 8.0.

Young Allies #7 CGC gave this one a 9.0, higher than anyone here had guessed, and the second best copy on the census. I think the oversized scans made that nick on the back cover look worse than it looks in person.

Thanks for playing!

Charlie

Captain America (7.0) foreheadslap.gif

Action 70 (6.5) gossip.gif close

ASM #11 (7.5) gossip.gif close

Avengers #4 (8.0) thumbsup2.gif

Daring #11 (8.5) foreheadslap.gif

Superman #35 (8.0) thumbsup2.gif

Young Allies #7 (8.5) gossip.gif close

2 right on!

3 off by just one notch!

1 off by 2 and 1 off by 3...

Not too shabby from scans. grin.gif

On to the grades......very tough to grade these off scans and especially considering the age of the books since we all know GA books are given a little extra consideration when grades are concerned.

Captain America (7.5) actual 8.5 (1 full grade off)

Action 70 (8.5) actual 7.0 (1.5 full grades off, looked better)

ASM #11 (8.0) actual 8.0 thumbsup2.gif Bingo

Avengers #4 (8.5) actual 8.0 (.5 off, not bad)

Daring #11 (9.0) actual 7.5 (1.5 off, looks better than graded confused-smiley-013.gif )

Superman #35 (7.5) actual 8.0 (.5 off, close but no cigar foreheadslap.gif )

Young Allies #7 (8.5) that chunk out of the top back cover looks pretty bad, but the cover looked so good I gave it a high grade. Actual 9.0 (.5 not bad, not bad at all...I factored in the size of the scan and the cover was fantastic)

I am satisfied with my overall grades factoring in the size of the scans, age of book etc.............is this the point where you send my one for playing 893crossfingers-thumb.gif