• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ditko Jazz Hands

22 posts in this topic

Yes! An artistic ridicule thread! Tread carefully though. You are just asking for a boards pitchfork and torch riot.

Ditko is probably my 4th favorite artist of all-time, just for the record. But not above ridicule. Yes, "jazz hands". Everybody is wanting to sing "Happy Feet" on those posted covers. The fingers are always splayed too. Never aligned. The pinky tends to be the most forward extending, and it decreases with each adjacent finger.

Check out some 70s DC Kirby. That stuff is great fun to ridicule. Miscellaneous black lines on chins and foreheads. Tubular arms.

I didn't intend this as picking on Ditko at all, just noticed a trend there and thought it would be a fun Friday post. While I'm not really a fan of Ditko, his handling of hands always reminded me of Renaissance painter Grunewald (see below)...although he was probably more influenced by Egon Schiele.

Grunewald

isencross.jpg

Schiele

web.jpg

Boy Stevie sure loved him some jazz hands. He's certainly not the only one, but the exaggerated way he drew fingers sure emphasized them.

banhim.gif

You're right, he didn't draw them like that at all, I must have been hallucinating.

And lo there were the Ten Commandments of The Aritst Steve Ditko:

I. Thou shalt only refer the The Artist Steve Ditko as "The Artist Steve Ditko," "Mr. Ditko," "Steve Ditko," or "Co-Creator of All Things Spidery in the Marvel Universe...but most especially Co-Creator of Spider-Man, regardless of what Stan Lee says."

II. Thou shalt not ask for an autograph.

III. Thou shalt not ask for a sketch.

IV. Thou shalt not interview The Artist Steve Ditko.

V. Thou shalt not ask for an autograph.

VI. Thou shalt not question the ability of The Artist Steve Ditko to draw hands or any other part of the human anatomy or anything at all. It's not like he's Rob :censored: Liefeld.

VII. Thou shalt not ask for an autograph.

VIII. Thou shalt never gaze directly into the eyes of The Artist Steve Ditko and thou shalt always keep thy head at a lower level than The Artist Steve Ditko.

outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed Thou shalt not photograph The Co-Creator of All Things Spidery in the Marvel Universe...but most especially Co-Creator of The Amazing Spider-Man, regardless of what Stan Lee says

X. Thou shalt not ask for an autograph. This he does mean.

85046.jpg.d1b2e6c00fc47253709a704bccc0858b.jpg

I think Ditko's hands complete the Ditko style. If he drew hands any differently, it wouldnt be Ditko. I love his funky style.

I always thought Gil Kane was a guy who used hands in so many different covers and pics that it wouldn't be Gil Kane unless you got plenty of hand shots in the books. Some artists just seem to be more hung up on hands than others.

doh! From now on, everytime I see Ditko hands, I will think, "jazz hands".

On a serious note, I was watching Dark City this morning on cable and was comparing it, in my mind to the psychic fight between Neo and Smith from the Matrix, and noting the differences with the fight from the aforementioned DC, and realizing that the Ditko stylization of Dr. Strange fighting Dormamu with magical round shields, each a defense, and an easy visual way of showing the fight, was brilliant, especially for it's time.

I'd love to see some Ditko inspired hand creating magical shield fighting action.