• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mound City Collection One of the Greatest Silver Age Finds of the Century

2,756 posts in this topic

this is st. louis? yes, this is old news. No offense, but while a nice SA collection and a nice find, I certainly wouldn't be like oooohhh find of the century!

it's a nice SA collection.

i agree with you fool killer, it is a nice SA collection but it is missing keys, that I think, would make it the "greatest" lol

what...no showcase 4????(shrug)

It is oddly organized on their website. I love the auction address as 123 online(My husband tried to google it while I kept saying "It's not a real address silly").

The comment that the books will be graded by their in house expert as well as more important issues being graded by CGC. Does that mean they will be sending their books out for slabbing prior to the auction?

Sighs no precodes for me..

Give me an example of another silver age collection that has been found in the last 9.75 years please.

Thanks

The Rocky Mountains, which blow this away.

Oh, and the Rocky Mountains got the pedigree distinction. No one is saying this isn't a nice find, because it is. It's a very nice collection. But it's just another nice SA find -- the owner is going to make some nice coin, and of course every major dealer already knows about it, so it's just going to be insane bidding with common folks getting squashed by people who want to pay record prices to press or own super high grade copies. That Showcase 22 should do insanely well.

Oh and let's hope the AF 15 comes back unrestored, cause that top edge looks ultra straight and possibly trimmed, but you can't really tell from a scan, so we'll see what CGC says. FF 1 looks low grade, but the BB 28 looks nice, Show 22 nice, and lots of other nice books.

I'd also like to know who's doing the grading, since if you're bidding on raw books, you'd like to know their background to see if they can spot resto, and no I don't care if they've been in the hobby for 30 years, it should be someone that has some actual credentials.

Well the site does say more important books will be graded by CGC. Which is why I asked if they will be sending the keys off for slabbing prior to the auction? They really should do that before announcing the auction though correct? The books could take awhile to come back from CGC.

You can't advertise that the more important nice books will be CGC graded later. If CGC is backed up the books may take a bit before they come back to the auction house for sale. Unless they took them through a wlak through. Depending on how many comics they have that could also take awhile.

I have know people drop them off or wait for a walk through at a con,only to come back with undone books because there wasn't time to ahve it done because CGC was busy.

Well you could hope that some well meaning person with 30 yrs experience didn't trim/press/ retouch etc.

It is hard to tell. One person's expert is not another's expert. Grading can be so subjective. One person might not think anything of colring in a worn spot or trimming a tiny ragged edge. While another person would not pay as much for a book that is altered.

Wow. I didnt realize how sensitive everyone would be.

You hyped this collection by calling it (and I quote) "one of the greatest Silver Age collections". That invites realists to weigh in on the perceived true scope and quality of the collection.

Runkle, it would have better for you to confidently undersell the collection, cause these folks can smell a carnival barker sales pich a mile away. Better to let the collectors here talk up the greta collection, than focus on how you are overselling it, prompted the realists to cut it down to its actual size and importance.

no?

You hyped this collection by calling it (and I quote) "one of the greatest Silver Age collections". That invites realists to weigh in on the perceived true scope and quality of the collection.

and it's only 3000 books, i'm surprised it got a pedigree designation. (shrug)

Runkle, it would have better for you to confidently undersell the collection, cause these folks can smell a carnival barker sales pich a mile away. Better to let the collectors here talk up the greta collection, than focus on how you are overselling it, prompted the realists to cut it down to its actual size and importance.

no?

I sort of agree, a simple, check out this cool SA collection here... plus the other problem is, almost every major dealer in Chicago already knew about it and was talking about whether people were "going to be in St. Louis".

As for the point on grading, yes it's subjective, but if Jerry Weist is grading the raw books, I feel pretty good about his credentials -- or Jim Payette -- someone like that.

Are you the auction house owner or someone just posting about this upcoming auction?

Are you the owner of the books who consigned them?

Will there be on-site viewings?

These aren't exactly the greatest scans for supposedly the "greatest collection".

Well then you won't be surprised to know that it didn't. In fact, it appears that none of the books have been graded by CGC - hopefully, that will change when the collection comes up for sale.

I don't think it got a ped distinction.