• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mound City Collection One of the Greatest Silver Age Finds of the Century

2,756 posts in this topic

K.E. Runkle,

Wecome to the boards.

I'm not crazy about the hostility in this thread. I'm not sure I would want to socialize with some of the posters? (shrug)

yeah, it does seem a little out of hand.

i dont know.. its always the same people , they all talk and then high five each other in alot of threads....it reminds me of the old AOL chat room days back in 97 :cloud9:

In the first handful of pages in this thread, the posters who take a pop at the OP are Foolkiller, r1970d and MrBedrock.

So how else are we supposed to interpret your comments? (shrug)

Or were you simply babbling? (shrug)

1st off i was just commenting on how people just like to talk s**t on here, am i wrong again? NOPE.. did i go out and quote any of them? no! did i say they were wrong for it? no! and if they did think i was calling them out are you trying to say none of them know how to handle it with out your help? or do you just feel the need to speak for people?

funny that none of them PM me cause im pretty sure they know its just the internet and im pretty sure they know i didnt mean any harm by my comments the same they didnt think anyone would be harmed by theirs or is it you think i should have the right to say anything about it at all?

but here's a idea!!! why don't you let people speak for themselves and not try to make it look like i have beef with anyone on here!!!

let's all chill out -- it's all cool.

K.E. Runkle,

Wecome to the boards.

I'm not crazy about the hostility in this thread. I'm not sure I would want to socialize with some of the posters? (shrug)

i dont know.. its always the same people , they all talk and then high five each other in alot of threads....it reminds me of the old AOL chat room days back in 97 :cloud9:

In the first handful of pages in this thread, the posters who take a pop at the OP are Foolkiller, r1970d and MrBedrock.

1st off i was just commenting on how people just like to talk s**t on here, am i wrong again? NOPE.. did i go out and quote any of them? no! did i say they were wrong for it? no! and if they did think i was calling them out are you trying to say none of them know how to handle it with out your help? or do you just feel the need to speak for people?

funny that none of them PM me cause im pretty sure they know its just the internet and im pretty sure they know i didnt mean any harm by my comments the same they didnt think anyone would be harmed by theirs or is it you think i should have the right to say anything about it at all?

but here's a idea!!! why don't you let people speak for themselves and not try to make it look like i have beef with anyone on here!!!

"There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war." :applause:

I am very interested in the dates, so I can book my flight, and reserve my couch at Transplants house (thumbs u

I really feel bad for Transplant. :cry:

Given the number of posters planning to stay at his place..... I wonder if there will be enough room for him? (shrug)

Maybe we should rent him a motel room? hm

K.E. Runkle,

Wecome to the boards.

you right, I'LL go ahead and say sorry to anyone i might of called out or whatever....no need to fight

sorry for letting the internet get me Neg.....

I think he had good intentions, just not familiar with how to present the facts. I am pretty sure he doesn't "hang" around boards like this and found out about them somehow. He just wanted to get a "buzz" going. I know from past experiences with other DUDS, it sounded like just another b.s. artist but occasionally something real comes along.

I guess in life sometimes you gotta take a step back and see all before we start posting or making comments. This I think is one of those times.

And let me emphasize again, I would suggest not paying attention to this collection and not bother bidding when it comes up for sale. Matter of fact I am pretty sure all the books have not been listed or scanned yet

:grin::devil:

Well Steve, I understand that. Nevertheless, just go back and read exactly what he wrote... then read the responses. Nobody questioned whether it was "legit" but rather as good as advertised. As I've said several times though, we still have no idea who the poster was, what his connection to the collection was etc. Either way, as I said to Joseph, you are raising fair points.

Frankly, I will be passing on this collection. So have at it. There's just too much heat around it -- and while I'd love that Showcase 22, I'll be looking elsewhere.

Heat in what way? (Not trying to funny, just not quite sure what you mean..at my advanced age, it takes me longer to get it :)

I think I had said this before in general..."its just comic books", no real need to go nuts about who said what, or what isn't presented correctly, this I think for the majority of us is a passion or hobby, not a living. I am not trying to down play any of this, nor create bad feelings or p.o. people off, just trying to bring it back to its basics.

I am very interested in the dates, so I can book my flight, and reserve my couch at Transplants house (thumbs u

I really feel bad for Transplant. :cry:

Given the number of posters planning to stay at his place..... I wonder if there will be enough room for him? (shrug)

Maybe we should rent him a motel room? hm

Detective27Kid is NOT allowed to bid on the books...or maybe when he leaves for the trip, we might have to make a visit along the west coast of Florida and see what we can "pickup" while he is away :devil:

Give me an example of another silver age collection that has been found in the last 9.75 years please.

Thanks

I know I'm late to the party, but:

1. Mark Zaid and I found one in 2006 that had near complete runs of Marvel 1961-1975, plus tons of DC, plus TONS of early fanzines (some stuff I haven't seen ever in 35 years of collecting)

2. Zaid and Jaime Newbold from Southern California Comics found the "Hollywood Hills" collection in 2007(?) that was very high grade mid-Silver Age Marvels.

3. I'm picking up an original owner collection of 1959-1979 Marvels next Saturday. Not sure on the high-grade-ness of the books, but they're all there.

Silver Age collections are everywhere.

I think he had good intentions, just not familiar with how to present the facts. I am pretty sure he doesn't "hang" around boards like this and found out about them somehow. He just wanted to get a "buzz" going. I know from past experiences with other DUDS, it sounded like just another b.s. artist but occasionally something real comes along.

I guess in life sometimes you gotta take a step back and see all before we start posting or making comments. This I think is one of those times.

And let me emphasize again, I would suggest not paying attention to this collection and not bother bidding when it comes up for sale. Matter of fact I am pretty sure all the books have not been listed or scanned yet

Well Steve, I understand that. Nevertheless, just go back and read exactly what he wrote... then read the responses. Nobody questioned whether it was "legit" but rather as good as advertised. As I've said several times though, we still have no idea who the poster was, what his connection to the collection was etc. Either way, as I said to Joseph, you are raising fair points.

Frankly, I will be passing on this collection. So have at it. There's just too much heat around it -- and while I'd love that Showcase 22, I'll be looking elsewhere.

Heat in what way? (Not trying to funny, just not quite sure what you mean..at my advanced age, it takes me longer to get it :)

I think I had said this before in general..."its just comic books", no real need to go nuts about who said what, or what isn't presented correctly, this I think for the majority of us is a passion or hobby, not a living. I am not trying to down play any of this, nor create bad feelings or p.o. people off, just trying to bring it back to its basics.

Too many major dealers all already on this -- so what can be had at a reasonable price? Not the major keys -- so the heat I'm talking about is the heat amongst dealers who probably will be bidding on this collection. Makes it harder to compete.

Too many major dealers all already on this -- so what can be had at a reasonable price? Not the major keys -- so the heat I'm talking about is the heat amongst dealers who probably will be bidding on this collection. Makes it harder to compete.

Are you saying that dealers pay more for books than collectors will? (shrug)

I "think" he is saying more people will be involved with the bidding process, thus driving up prices on the books? Just my opinion here.

Thanks. (thumbs u

I guess the question is:

Could someone buys books and hope to flip them? seems unlikely.

How about buying books for your permanent collection? Maybe full price but still an OO collection. In addition this might be the last time to buy the books before they're pressed?

I "think" he is saying more people will be involved with the bidding process, thus driving up prices on the books? Just my opinion here.

Thanks. (thumbs u

I guess the question is:

How about buying books for your permanent collection? Maybe full price but still an OO collection. In addition this might be the last time to buy the books before they're pressed?

Your last part of the statement is one of the reasons dealers can buy books to flip them. Yes, there are plenty of dealers who may push and pay more than some collectors who are able to see them live. Depends on what book it is and how far a specific collector (who knows about the auction) will pay. Dealers bid in the Clink auction routinely. Same with Heritage.

I think when someone is new here they don't realize the level of sophistication of the collectors on these boards. By all accounts that is a nice collection. My favorite collection of the last 9.75 years though was the Toth collection :cloud9:

I think when someone is new here they don't realize the level of sophistication of the collectors on these boards. By all accounts that is a nice collection. My favorite collection of the last 9.75 years though was the Toth collection :cloud9:

The Toth collection is also another stunning example. Some raw Toths in the Heritage auction tonight.

Thanks. (thumbs u

I guess the question is:

Your last part of the statement is one of the reasons dealers can buy books to flip them. Yes, there are plenty of dealers who may push and pay more than some collectors who are able to see them live. Depends on what book it is and how far a specific collector (who knows about the auction) will pay. Dealers bid in the Clink auction routinely. Same with Heritage.

Absolutely. (thumbs u

I fully am in agreement with you.

K.E. Runkle,

Wecome to the boards.

you right, I'LL go ahead and say sorry to anyone i might of called out or whatever....no need to fight

sorry for letting the internet get me Neg.....

Fair enough. (thumbs u

And I'll apologise for pushing this, too. :sorry: