• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shill bidding on Ebay

32 posts in this topic

I've been on Ebay for over 12 years now and have done a first for me. I have reported someone for possible shill bidding. A person with 1 feedback has bid on two items; both listed by the same seller. hm

The item I am interested in has been sitting at a buy it now price of nearly 400.00 for 3 months. He has finally listed it as a no reserve auction and with a little over 1 day left it is only at 80.00. The high bid is the possible shill bidder. That really pisses me off. (tsk):frustrated:

Happen to any of you? Ever report anyone for shill bidding? rantrant

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200376395628&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Don't bid on it! :) This is a very very rare Tarzan item, I do have one but it is incomplete. This is the first time I have ever seen one for sale.

"SEE PHOTOS I HAVE TAKEN MANY."

Two is many ? I'd ask for a page count...Best of luck:)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200376395628&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Don't bid on it! :) This is a very very rare Tarzan item, I do have one but it is incomplete. This is the first time I have ever seen one for sale.

That looks like a shill bid to me.

Good luck!

"SEE PHOTOS I HAVE TAKEN MANY."

Two is many ? I'd ask for a page count...Best of luck:)

:roflmao:

I thought the exact same thing!

Why do you feel this is a shill bid? The bidder could very well be an ebay newbie who is interested in the book. Generally with a questionable bidder, you'll see a pattern where they keep upping the bids with repeated bids just high enough to make the high bidder place another bid. (This is because the seller can see exactly how much the high bidder was bid.)

The current high bidder of this Tarzan book is also the current high and ONLY bidder on a Gasoline Alley book. A shill wouldn't put a $39 bid in when nobody else had bid; the seller would have to eat the insertion as well as the FMV fee.

Finally, I like to play my cards close to my chest. I understand your concern over a rare item you want, but you're only publicizing the auction and may attract more bidders to it. 2c

(thumbs u

Why do you feel this is a shill bid? The bidder could very well be an ebay newbie who is interested in the book. Generally with a questionable bidder, you'll see a pattern where they keep upping the bids with repeated bids just high enough to make the high bidder place another bid. (This is because the seller can see exactly how much the high bidder was bid.)

The current high bidder of this Tarzan book is also the current high and ONLY bidder on a Gasoline Alley book. A shill wouldn't put a $39 bid in when nobody else had bid; the seller would have to eat the insertion as well as the FMV fee.

Finally, I like to play my cards close to my chest. I understand your concern over a rare item you want, but you're only publicizing the auction and may attract more bidders to it. 2c

(thumbs u

Even that's not fool proof indicative of shill bidding. I bid like that on everything I bid on, a few odd cents over the very next bid increment and I keep doing it until I meet my max price point or I'm the high bidder. Sure I could just as easily enter $35 instead of $17.91 on an item I'd pay $35 for, but it's a little more fun for me to put in $17.91, then $21.21 and then $24.35 and so forth until reaching $35.

Ooh sweet! Thanks for the heads up! $401 snipe set and ready to go! :headbang:

Just kidding, man. :baiting:

If he is shilling, that's pretty crappy. I can understand that an item like that needs the right buyer (like you) and it's risky putting something like that in a straight auction, but that's what reserves are for. He should have used the "Make an offer" feature when he had it listed as a BIN to see what kind of interest it got.

If he is shilling, that's pretty crappy. I can understand that an item like that needs the right buyer (like you) and it's risky putting something like that in a straight auction, but that's what reserves are for. He should have used the "Make an offer" feature when he had it listed as a BIN to see what kind of interest it got.

lol! I would have to assume there is a very small market for a book like this. A few people on the board here maybe would be interested (and would like to know who shares these interests), but I think I know them all.

It just looks very fishy with the high bidder bidding on two items by the same seller; both items listed with no reserve but had been at high priced BIN before. It looks plain to me that he is trying to "save" his big ticket items from going too cheap.

lol! I would have to assume there is a very small market for a book like this. A few people on the board here maybe would be interested (and would like to know who shares these interests), but I think I know them all.

It just looks very fishy with the high bidder bidding on two items by the same seller; both items listed with no reserve but had been at high priced BIN before. It looks plain to me that he is trying to "save" his big ticket items from going too cheap.

Tell ya what I'll go bid 1500.0 on it and retract citing entered wrong amount, then I'll enter 150.00 (we both know his shill has it at or above 400) and this will prove where his selling point really is...

I don't follow your reasoning. I often bid on more than 1 item from a single seller, lots of people do. The other book this alleged shill is bidding on only has a single $39 bid - from the alleged shill bidder. Why would the seller, who has a good feedback rating and lots of big-ticket sales, place a shill bid on a book nobody has even bid on yet? He will have to pay an insertion fee plus the final value fee if he "wins."

I don't see any evidence of shill bidding. You're saying bidder 9***d must be a shill because he only has a feedback rating of 1 and bid on two books by the same seller? One of which has no bids other than his own?

Also, it this book may have a small market, but it has bids from 5 different bidders.

Tell ya what I'll go bid 1500.00 on it and retract citing entered wrong amount, then I'll enter 150.00 (we both know his shill has it at or above 400) and this will prove where his selling point really is...

hm

I don't follow your reasoning. I often bid on more than 1 item from a single seller, lots of people do. The other book this alleged shill is bidding on only has a single $39 bid - from the alleged shill bidder. Why would the seller, who has a good feedback rating and lots of big-ticket sales, place a shill bid on a book nobody has even bid on yet? He will have to pay an insertion fee plus the final value fee if he "wins."

I don't see any evidence of shill bidding. You're saying bidder 9***d must be a shill because he only has a feedback rating of 1 and bid on two books by the same seller? One of which has no bids other than his own?

Also, it this book may have a small market, but it has bids from 5 different bidders.

I guess we just don't see eye to eye on this one. (shrug):foryou:

My thinking is that he had the second book at somewhere around 170.00 BIN and he is afraid that someone will come in at the last second and bid the starting price. Of course I could just be paranoid about the whole thing...... :)

Who cares if he is shill bidding vs. setting a reserve on his auction??

Look, whenever you bid on eBay you should do the following:

1.) Decide what YOU are willing to pay for the book

2.) SUBTRACT the shipping charges from what you're willing to pay.

3.) Bid that amount now or wait until the last minute.

I really don't get why people get so mad about Shilling and/or shipping charges on eBay. If you follow those steps you're NOT getting ripped off on price.

Especially people complaining about shipping charges. They are fully disclosed ahead of time. So what if the seller wants to save some money on FEEBay fees.

NO, this is not my auction and I rarely sell on eBay. I just buy books there.

Who cares if he is shill bidding vs. setting a reserve on his auction??

Look, whenever you bid on eBay you should do the following:

1.) Decide what YOU are willing to pay for the book

2.) SUBTRACT the shipping charges from what you're willing to pay.

3.) Bid that amount now or wait until the last minute.

I really don't get why people get so mad about Shilling and/or shipping charges on eBay. If you follow those steps you're NOT getting ripped off on price.

Especially people complaining about shipping charges. They are fully disclosed ahead of time. So what if the seller wants to save some money on FEEBay fees.

NO, this is not my auction and I rarely sell on eBay. I just buy books there.

Well Said :golfclap: