• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did (will) you spend the most cash on OA?

When did (will) you spend the most cash?  

282 members have voted

1. 1. When did (will) you spend the most cash?

41 posts in this topic

I encourage all collectors to buy/sell/trade with each other, I think we would be even more happy with the results!

Well...this REALLY depends on the collector you choose to deal with. Some of my best deals have been with fellow collectors. Yet, I've also seen some of the grossest behavior from self-proclaimed "collectors". So, again, know who you're dealing with.

Enjoyed your post!

I must admit that around 80% of my collection has been either purchased direct (with a "family" discount) or were gifts from the artist (Adam Hughes, Bryan Hitch, Stuart Immonen, Ashley Wood etc.). The rest were purchased from dealers, ebay and an occasional purchase from a fellow collector.

I find myself unable to part with pieces purchased direct (or with gifts) from the artist but have parted with pieces bought from dealers and will likely part with one or two more in the future. Best,

Royd

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=111

Hari,

Another round of great polls.

Since you collect mainly older art( I think), you missed one more source on the "Who Do You Buy From" poll, and that would be direct from the artist. I've got quite a few pieces in my collection I was lucky enough to get direct.

And the value of my collection? Depends on who you ask :insane:

You're right! I did forget that as a major source of art. I have actually bought directly from the artist, and it was a great experience.

I must admit that around 80% of my collection has been either purchased direct (with a "family" discount) or were gifts from the artist (Adam Hughes, Bryan Hitch, Stuart Immonen, Ashley Wood etc.). The rest were purchased from dealers, ebay and an occasional purchase from a fellow collector.

I find myself unable to part with pieces purchased direct (or with gifts) from the artist but have parted with pieces bought from dealers and will likely part with one or two more in the future. Best,

Royd

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=111

Hari,

Another round of great polls.

Since you collect mainly older art( I think), you missed one more source on the "Who Do You Buy From" poll, and that would be direct from the artist. I've got quite a few pieces in my collection I was lucky enough to get direct.

And the value of my collection? Depends on who you ask :insane:

You're right! I did forget that as a major source of art. I have actually bought directly from the artist, and it was a great experience.

I don't get much art directly from the artist, but I've seen a change in this section of the market as well, and in the philosophy that you're describing. Buying direct used to be about a special moment between fan and artist, and typically the price was reasonable for that reason. Most artists sold direct at cons or on their own website, without a middle man. In those situations, of course you feel like you should not sell the piece or make a profit off it. In many cases, in fact, the art was inscribed to you personally.

But, today, it seems artists ask dealer-type prices for their art, and there is very little if any interaction between artist and fan. In those cases, I would think you should feel fine about selling the piece at a later time, for a hefty profit even. This latter interaction is a business, nothing more. And, consequently, artists won't get the same level of respect/appreciation that they once did from their fans.

Again, since I don't collect much modern art, I rarely have bought directly from the artist, but this definitely seems to be a changing dynamic that I thought was worth bringing up. Happy to hear others' opinions on the issue, although we might want to start a new thread.

Hari

I actually like this poll and I am looking forward to seeing the results.

For me, so far spent the most a few years back when I bought he cover from Dan (maybe 2006 ?). Since then I haven't hit the same total because I haven't landed a big page although I have tried twice recently.

Going forward, I only see the amount I spend going up (I hope because that means I am finding lots of good stuff). This is coupled with my move away from comics.

Most of what I buy comes from either Ebay or Heritage or Dealer sites, although my preference is private deals. I feel I have a good understanding of the types of stuff I collect but I will seek out other peoples opinions.

I really don't know what my collection is worth and right now it really isn't a priority for me.

Over the next five years I hope to add at least five major pieces to my collection. I have certain items I really want, but what I ultimately end up with will depend on wha becomes available during this time.

For some reason I feel this will lean heavily towards the "After 2009" option. I think it would be hard not to!

A lot of good questions that lead to good discussions. Hari on vacation from work = more a more interesting message board!

Very interesting results. Feel free to discuss. For the most part, this poll solidified my thoughts on the hobby. I was struck that even in this economy the vast majority of deals are still cash. I was also struck by the fact that the vast majority of collectors plan on spending more cash in the future in this OA hobby. That bodes well for the hobby in general, since there is some sentiment out there that the hobby has a limited lifespan.

I have a few more questions, and may do another poll later.

Best,

Hari

Just click back to the 1st page Ron!

Some random blabber from me on the results before I step out and enjoy the labour day like the worker that I am.

1. I sort of expect people to answer after 2009 for when you will spend the most cash, I mean, we are all still expanding and never say never, so I don't know why you would say that you have spent the most cash already and will never top it.

2. The answer to 2 sort of conflicts with the answer to 1, unless one is an instant, whereas the other is the totality of spending.

3. I thought there would be more trade answers. Now that I have a bigger collection, I do sometimes trade, especially for big ticket items, but sometimes trade negotiations go nowhere and good ol cash always works.

4. People buy from anywhere, no surprise there =)

5. I'm surprised that 100K+ dominated the answers

6. Not surprised about people keeping it.

Malvin

To answer your question the most i WILL spend is when i get the chance to purchase some of the OA i sold years ago. It was mostly high end stuff and i needed the money desperately but given the chance to buy it all back again i would do so but i know it would cost me an arm and a leg. :(

Missed the poll :(

Here's my answers:

Sept 2007

Do you anticipate spending more cash in the future on OA?

Yes, but unless I am wealthy, no where near what I spent on the Sept 2007 piece.

How do you buy?

Would have to pick all cash, but have done a few trades.

What is total value of your collection?

No clue, but over a dollar. Ask that other guy's brother.

What are your plans for your collection over the next 5 years?

I would have to say: Keep it, but moving from B&W to painted pieces.

Thanks for some more fun, Hari! (thumbs u

I'm surprised that 100K+ dominated the answers

If you're asking people to value their own collections, you're going to find some varying values. If it takes 5k to pull something out of a collection, but it's FMV is in the 2.5k range, what do you value it at?

Agreed, but everyone will have the same problem, and overall the poll wiill still reflect the collective opinion on market value. The more people who participate, the more those discrepancies will be watered down.

I have been collecting for more than 20 years though its been in the last 9 years I have been spending the most. I figure 20 years into 100K is only $5K a year, if the art doesn't go up in value. I know I din't spend that much a year when I started out but what I spend now balances it out.

Missed the poll :(

Here's my answers:

Sept 2007

Do you anticipate spending more cash in the future on OA?

Yes, but unless I am wealthy, no where near what I spent on the Sept 2007 piece.

How do you buy?

Would have to pick all cash, but have done a few trades.

What is total value of your collection?

No clue, but over a dollar. Ask that other guy's brother.

What are your plans for your collection over the next 5 years?

I would have to say: Keep it, but moving from B&W to painted pieces.

Thanks for some more fun, Hari! (thumbs u

My pleasure Steve! Hope all is well,

Hari

Here's how I voted:

1. I spent the most amount between 2006 and 2009, although I'm too scared to add it up. It is entirely possible that the post-2009 era may be the largest spending, mainly because of where prices have gone. I don't anticipate buying as many pieces, but the total cash paid may amount to more over time.

2. I voted that I probably will spend more. Yes, this is somewhat contrary to my above statement, but I think the first response was my being optimistic, and this second onee more realistic ;)

3. I buy almost always all-cash. I have done only a handful of trade or part-trade deals over the years. I find that whenever I let something go in trade (or for sale), I almost always regret it. Would much rather "trade" something I can get more of; that is, cash!

4. I buy mostly from other private collections, and then also from dealers. Most of the art I get from dealers is not on their site, mainly because dealers move inventory oftentimes faster than they update their sites (exception being Burkey).

5. I value my collection significantly over 100K somewhere.

6. I plan to keep it all, and now that I have a 3 month old son, I have someone to (potentially) give it all to! You'll all meet him eventually, as I fully intend on dragging him to all the conventions once he's old enough!

Thanks to everyone for participating in the poll. I may do a few more questions after I digest the responses to these initial polls.

Hari