• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st Post and looking for advice

34 posts in this topic

Hey everyone. I am just now getting back into comics after a 15 year break, and things are so different than they were back then.

I saw this on ebay and was hoping that I got a pretty fair deal.

My winning eBay auction

So my questions are:

1. Did I get ripped off?

2. How will the little sticker on the back effect the grading?

3. Should I try to remove the sticker?

4. Is it even worth getting graded?

5. How much do you think the sticker will lower the grade?

Thank you guys for you time and I look forward to enjoying this site.

WTTB!

Hey everyone. I am just now getting back into comics after a 15 year break, and things are so different than they were back then.

My winning eBay auction

So my questions are:

1. Did I get ripped off?

WTTB

1. Did I get ripped off? Described as "around a VF" is a bit shaky. It's probably closer to a FN/VF (7.0). That being said, a slabbed 7.0 will run you about $210 so you didn't do too bad as long as there's nothing else wrong with it.

2. How will the little sticker on the back effect the grading? That's a tough one. I would take an otherwise 9.0 book and knock it down to 7.0 because of it. IMO

3. Should I try to remove the sticker? I would if it were mine... depending on how long it's been on there. If it's fairly new or the glue is already starting to dry you can probably get it off. Hit it with the hair dryer to loosen up the glue and then use a very thin piece of metal (micro-spatula... do not use a razor blade or you will cut your book) and try to work it loose. Slow and steady is the key. If it comes off with no residue (not likely) then you're good. If there is a sticky residue... dab the spot with some baby powder and gently work it into the gum using a soft cotton cloth (diaper) and tiny circular motions. Once again, slowly... Think of it like you're polishing a scratch from your car... tiny circles, very light. Lather, rinse, repeat as the gum starts soaking up the powder.

4. Is it even worth getting graded? You're already $200 into it and CGC (back and forth) will run you another $35. I wouldn't slab it if it were mine.

Welcome to the boards.

Agree with sckao, cropped scans are dangerous and can hide the true story. The buyer does take returns and even pays return shipping. Once you get the book you should post it in the "Hey Buddy Can You Spare a Grade?" section and get an idea of how we would grade it.

Welcome to the boards. (thumbs u

That seller has horrible scans. The scans conveniently crop out the spine...

I was kind of thinking this too, and maybe I made a mistake, but he does offer a 7 day money back guarentee.

Welcome, always good to have someone rediscovering comics!

A few Ebay basics:

--Be very wary of small scans.

--Pay close attention to the seller's history (feedback, number of items sold, number of comics sold, and especially read the feedback to see if buyers were happy with grading).

--Don't pay attention to claims of "high grade," or even specific grades assigned, unless you know the seller and trust his/her grading. On Ebay talk is cheap.

--Always read the description. In this case you can tell the seller doesn't know much about comics (calling the book rare, for instance). And he calls the book VF, but also notes there is an inch and a half crease.

--Do some research to see what previous copies of a book have sold for on Ebay to get a sense of what a good price is. Most books don't sell for anywhere near Overstreet Guide price, for example.

--Final tip: hang out on these boards and you'll get up to speed on grading and pricing pretty quick! Check out the grading forum and the for sale forums especially.

As others noted, you won't know until you get the book in hand what grade it really is in. Good luck!

Welcome to the boards.

Agree with sckao, cropped scans are dangerous and can hide the true story. The buyer does take returns and even pays return shipping. Once you get the book you should post it in the "Hey Buddy Can You Spare a Grade?" section and get an idea of how we would grade it.

Great advice. Thank you very much. I will do that for sure.

Welcome, always good to have someone rediscovering comics!

A few Ebay basics:

--Be very wary of small scans.

--Pay close attention to the seller's history (feedback, number of items sold, number of comics sold, and especially read the feedback to see if buyers were happy with grading).

--Don't pay attention to claims of "high grade," or even specific grades assigned, unless you know the seller and trust his/her grading. On Ebay talk is cheap.

--Always read the description. In this case you can tell the seller doesn't know much about comics (calling the book rare, for instance). And he calls the book VF, but also notes there is an inch and a half crease.

--Do some research to see what previous copies of a book have sold for on Ebay to get a sense of what a good price is. Most books don't sell for anywhere near Overstreet Guide price, for example.

--Final tip: hang out on these boards and you'll get up to speed on grading and pricing pretty quick! Check out the grading forum and the for sale forums especially.

As others noted, you won't know until you get the book in hand what grade it really is in. Good luck!

Great tips. Very much appreciated.

My winning eBay auction

So my questions are:

1. Did I get ripped off?

WTTB

1. Did I get ripped off? Described as "around a VF" is a bit shaky. It's probably closer to a FN/VF (7.0). That being said, a slabbed 7.0 will run you about $210 so you didn't do too bad as long as there's nothing else wrong with it.

2. How will the little sticker on the back effect the grading? That's a tough one. I would take an otherwise 9.0 book and knock it down to 7.0 because of it. IMO

3. Should I try to remove the sticker? I would if it were mine... depending on how long it's been on there. If it's fairly new or the glue is already starting to dry you can probably get it off. Hit it with the hair dryer to loosen up the glue and then use a very thin piece of metal (micro-spatula... do not use a razor blade or you will cut your book) and try to work it loose. Slow and steady is the key. If it comes off with no residue (not likely) then you're good. If there is a sticky residue... dab the spot with some baby powder and gently work it into the gum using a soft cotton cloth (diaper) and tiny circular motions. Once again, slowly... Think of it like you're polishing a scratch from your car... tiny circles, very light. Lather, rinse, repeat as the gum starts soaking up the powder.

4. Is it even worth getting graded? You're already $200 into it and CGC (back and forth) will run you another $35. I wouldn't slab it if it were mine.

Great advice. I would have never of thought about that with baby powder. Thank you for the tips.

I just want to get good comics and I am willing to pay for them, but I just do not want to be ripped off.

Thanks guys.

Welcome aboard, Bryan! You'll find lots of great info and interesting folks here amongst these hallowed digital halls. Take it all in, but be mindful of running the spanking gauntlet... :eek:

You never know, that ASM #129 could be really tasty in hand ;) , then again it may not be :P .

My winning eBay auction

So my questions are:

1. Did I get ripped off?

WTTB

What he said. +1

Very are and hard to find!

doh! - I'm not mocking the typo but the "rare"...

Is any Marvel mainstream BA book rare in FVF?

Welcome to the Boards

My winning eBay auction

So my questions are:

1. Did I get ripped off?

WTTB

Great advice. I would have never of thought about that with baby powder. Thank you for the tips.

I just want to get good comics and I am willing to pay for them, but I just do not want to be ripped off.

Thanks guys.

Anytime you buy comics with small scans from Ebay you are gambling. There are a number of guys out there that are buying CGC graded restored or low grade comics from other auction sites and removing them from the CGC cases and selling the books without revealing the restoration and/or bumping up the grade. You might get a great deal but more likely you will get a over-graded book or a book with hidden restoration.

For the price you paid you could buy a CGC graded 8.0 copy for about $300 and a 7.0 copy for about $225.

Consider buying comics here as in general the sellers are much better graders than on Ebay.

My winning eBay auction

So my questions are:

1. Did I get ripped off?

WTTB

Thanks guys.

Anytime you buy comics with small scans from Ebay you are gambling. There are a number of guys out there that are buying CGC graded restored or low grade comics from other auction sites and removing them from the CGC cases and selling the books without revealing the restoration and/or bumping up the grade. You might get a great deal but more likely you will get a over-graded book or a book with hidden restoration.

For the price you paid you could buy a CGC graded 8.0 copy for about $300 and a 7.0 copy for about $225.

Consider buying comics here as in general the sellers are much better graders than on Ebay.

I will have to check out the selling forum here. Thank you.