• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is Todd McFarlane's baseball worth these days?

What is the $3 million ball worth today?  

483 members have voted

1. 1. What is the $3 million ball worth today?

40 posts in this topic

As you may recall, McFarlane bought Mark McGuire's record setting 70th home run ball at auction for $3 million. He justified the price by saying the publicity he generated for his Spawn and his other business ventures was worth the price.

Bonds broke the record a couple years later. I think McFarlane bought that ball too (I'm not sure).

Both Bonds and McGuire were subsequently "proven" to be on various drugs.

So the question is .......... what is that $3 million ball worth today?

Glad am not the only one who answered: "Id give him 10 Spawn #1 and a Patrick Roy McFarlane MIB toy for it" lol

Regarding the fate of Barry Bond's record ball:

"The record-setting ball was consigned to an auction house on August 21, 2007 and sold with a winning bid of $752,467 on September 15, 2007. The high bidder, fashion designer Marc Ecko, created a website to let fans decide its fate. As a result, and as promised by Ecko, the ball now resides in the Hall of Fame with an asterisk, as a constant reminder of this unforgettable moment in sports history and popular culture,”

And I voted $100 - $1,000. (Probably a bit low. Wishful thinking, maybe.)

The McGwire ball holds little significance now that the record has been broken, and even less after the whole steroid scandal.

"The record-setting ball was consigned to an auction house on August 21, 2007 and sold with a winning bid of $752,467 on September 15, 2007. The high bidder, fashion designer Marc Ecko, created a website to let fans decide its fate. As a result, and as promised by Ecko, the ball now resides in the Hall of Fame with an asterisk, as a constant reminder of this unforgettable moment in sports history and popular culture,”

The McGwire ball holds little significance now that the record has been broken, and even less after the whole steroid scandal.

Wrong ball :makepoint:

That was Bonds all-time career home run ball that beat Hank Aaron

Wrong ball :makepoint:

That was Bonds all-time career home run ball that beat Hank Aaron

In your original post you said that you thought that McFarlane bought Bonds' record ball too. My post was addressing that. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. :foryou:

EDIT: Ah. You meant that McFarlane bought Bonds' ball that beat McGwire's record, not the ball that beat Hank Aaron's all-time record. The light bulb slowly comes on.

:idea:

And you were correct, McFarlane DID buy Bonds ball that broke McGwire's single season homerun record:

"Barry Bonds' record-breaking 73rd home run ball was sold to comic book and action figure mogul Todd McFarlane for $517,500. With the purchase, McFarlane now owns three of the seven highest-priced home run baseballs sold. He purchased Mark McGwire's 70th and Sammy Sosa's 66th home run balls, each from the home run race of 1998, for $3 million and $175,000, respectively."

Rare Big Mac stuff still sells for big money in the baseball collectors market. There are some really fanatical collectors out there plus I am sure UD would shill out some big bucks to get the ball so they could cut it up and put it in baseball gu cards. I don't think it is worth the 3 mill anymore but it is still very valuable.

Rare Big Mac stuff still sells for big money in the baseball collectors market. There are some really fanatical collectors out there plus I am sure UD would shill out some big bucks to get the ball so they could cut it up and put it in baseball gu cards. I don't think it is worth the 3 mill anymore but it is still very valuable.

From what I've read on here, UD will not have a license for baseball cards anymore. Only Topps.

From what I've read on here, UD will not have a license for baseball cards anymore. Only Topps.

WOWSERS I don't keep up with that hobby anymore, but when I was growing up the UD cards were always soooo much nicer than Topps. If kids still collect them, I feel bad they won't have that option anymore. (But of the children I do know, none of them collect. So not sure how big the hobby is.)

-Rob-

It is more complicated then that. Ud will still be able to produce baseball cards but they will be reatricted on what they make. ITG (once BAP) have been producing hockey cards for years without a licence (nhlpa) however they are restricted on what they can produce. UD and ITG can still produce a lot of cards from retired guys, bigMac fits in this category.

Yeah, I remember Be a Player from the last couple years I was collecting cards. That will be a huge step down for UD to not be able to use MLB logos. Also, I think it will have serious ramifications for usage of likenesses of MLBPA members.

Basically they have to sign individual contracts with the players and will not be able to use pictures featuring any sort of NHL team logos. They can still use pictures of the players as long as the logos are not shown. Logos from international or other teams are fine (BigMAc team USA) or minor league uniforms. There are a lot of ways around it and some of these cards fetch big bucks. BigMac autographs are still rare and very expensive, I can only imagen what a card with a piece of that ball and an autograph of bigmac on it would sell for.