• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1930's Original Owner Collection Auction, Detective, Tip Top, Funny Pages + more

167 posts in this topic

I just spent the day going over the collection with the auctioneer. Very cool comics to say the least.

He decided to send 13 comics to CGC and they will be back in time for the auction close. The comics sent to CGC are Detectives 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18 and 19. Also sent the Daring Mystery #2 to get graded. Most have cream/ow pages.

All comics not sent to CGC (approx 60) are in possession of the auctioneer Darryl McGuire.

Online bidding ends on the 15th with the live bidding on the 16th. Contact the auctioneer for the exact details on bidding. The CGC graded comics will make it easy for those that can't travel and need to bid online. I also graded the comics not going to CGC but told him that the grades could be affected by people handling them at the auction. He is aware of that and plans on keeping the handling to a minimum.

He also has some BLB's and they are way above average condition.

To answer some questions that you may have since I already asked him. These are all the comics, so no Detective #1 or 27 or 31 :(

The link to the auction is 1930's Comics

I'm surprised that this has not already been discussed here. Could be some of you were hoping to keep a lid on it but he has already been bombarded with calls and offers on all the comics so he knew the auctions would go well.

Here are a few pics. I also have back cover pics of the comics below.

Good Luck................Leroy

det3.jpg

det6.jpg

det7.jpg

det8.jpg

det9.jpg

det11.jpg

det12.jpg

det13.jpg

det14.jpg

det15.jpg

det16.jpg

det17.jpg

det18.jpg

det19.jpg

daringmystery2.jpg

detpicture4.jpg

planet2.jpg

So you can bid on the books now, unslabbed, but some are in the process of being slabbed currently, correct? So what happens to the bids on the current unslabbed books being slabbed? Do those rollover when the slabbed version goes up? When do the slabbed versions go up?

I'd hate to be the guy to bid on one and find out after the fact the grade was much lower then the scan presented or restoration (odds seem slim) was detected. It's almost like two different items - raw vs. slabbed. I'm a little surprised they started accepting bids at all on those.

thx for the info (thumbs u

So you can bid on the books now, unslabbed, but some are in the process of being slabbed currently, correct? So what happens to the bids on the current unslabbed books being slabbed? Do those rollover when the slabbed version goes up? When do the slabbed versions go up?

I'd hate to be the guy to bid on one and find out after the fact the grade was much lower then the scan presented or restoration (odds seem slim) was detected. It's almost like two different items - raw vs. slabbed. I'm a little surprised they started accepting bids at all on those.

Yes, yes, the bids don't change, so wait for the slabbing to be finished, yes and who knows? Whew!

Anyone who bids on any comic book without inspecting it gets what he deserves.

I am not at all surprised they started accepting bids. I am sure someone came along and told them about CGC after the auction began. Could even have been someone at CGC who saw the auction and contacted the auctioneer. I shudder to think what they are going to pay in slabbing fees, but then again it will probably be worth it in terms of auction results.

Really cool books, but in my opinion the owner would be much better off auctioning these through heritage or comiclink. (shrug)

Why? So they can pay exhorbitant commissions?

If a seller is looking at maximizing their return, the commission is not important as what the auction house puts into their pocket after the sale is over. So while CGC feeds and auction commissions aren't cheap (although 10% on clink seems pretty reasonable to me), they are usually worth price for material such as is shown in the thread.

Yes, yes, the bids don't change, so wait for the slabbing to be finished, yes and who knows? Whew!

Anyone who bids on any comic book without inspecting it gets what he deserves.

I am not at all surprised they started accepting bids. I am sure someone came along and told them about CGC after the auction began. Could even have been someone at CGC who saw the auction and contacted the auctioneer. I shudder to think what they are going to pay in slabbing fees, but then again it will probably be worth it in terms of auction results.

thx for the info.

Really cool books, but in my opinion the owner would be much better off auctioning these through heritage or comiclink. (shrug)

True, but it looks like the estate and everything in it is going through the same auctioneer..I guess they wanted everything to go in the same shot...

There´s a coverless Tec 35 and a couple of New Adventures, too.

Good catch. The auction says #34 but I let him know it was #35. I’m not sure how he will edit the comics that were incorrectly identified or add the grades I assigned to the comics. Once a online bid is placed you can’t change anything in the description.

The other coverless comics that are incorrect are

Lot #66 it’s Champion Comics #4 not #1

Lot #67 it’s Wonderworld #7 not #3

Lot #76 it’s Fantastic Comics #2 not #1

Lot #71 I’m not sure but I think it’s a Funny Pages comic. It does have The Arrow in a story.

Did the auctioneer indicate whether there are reserves for these ?

I’m not sure if he will have reserves or not. I suggested not to have reserves as he will have plenty of interest in the comics.

Don't forget to look at the back cover scan because 1 of the GA seems to be missing back cover but not noted in text description. :cool:

The only comics I looked at today that were missing back covers were also missing front covers so I’m not sure which comic you speak of.

Wow! Those books are incredible, Leroy! I bet it was a real thrill looking them over in person.

You can tell me all about it at the end of the month in Urbana. :-)

I was like a kid on Christmas morning.

Just remember I’m in no way connected to the auctioning of the comics and I’m making no commission on the sales. I offered to examine the comics and he accepted. I made a point to tell him that the comics need to be handled as little as possible to ensure they don’t get damaged and he understood the point I was making. Most of the really high $ comics will be CGC’ed so this will help the online bidders who can’t travel to the auction.

Why? So they can pay exhorbitant commissions?

I'm sure this estate auction company is offering its services for free.