• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This is an illegal auction isn't it?

30 posts in this topic

The only game i was able to complete at this time was "Galivan".

After my "Arcade Game" period, i bought a computer named "Amstrad CPC 464".

I don't know if this computer was sold in the USA ?

Later, i got an Amiga 500.

It was at that time that i became a "demo-maker" in a group called PROFECY.

I was a coder and a musician.

My nickname was "Wooper", like the computer in the movie War games (the WOPR).

Ah, the good old time...

We had a Ghosts 'N Goblins in our local Pizza Hut....

Anyone remember Rygar? The cheesy soundtrack and the guy running around with a big wheel on his wrist.....never did complete that game. mad.gif

My daughter and I have completed Rygar a few times...because with MAME, every play is free! If we'd had to drop a quarter for every play, it woulda cost $300 to finish Rygar wink.gif

...if you like Rygar, you'd like Karnov and Rastan, fairly similar side-scrolling sword-and-sorcery games.

We had a Ghosts 'N Goblins in our local Pizza Hut....

Anyone remember Rygar? The cheesy soundtrack and the guy running around with a big wheel on his wrist.....never did complete that game. mad.gif

My daughter and I have completed Rygar a few times...because with MAME, every play is free! If we'd had to drop a quarter for every play, it woulda cost $300 to finish Rygar wink.gif

...if you like Rygar, you'd like Karnov and Rastan, fairly similar side-scrolling sword-and-sorcery games.

I LOVE KARNOV!!! Best game about a fat Russian man ever.

Karnov looks like a fat genie, but doesn't breathe fire in the game - at least, not as far as I know. Karnov's one of many games I've played as far as is humanly possible, IMO. There's a point where you're facing a three-headed yellow dragon that spews deadly "orbs" from its mouths, and there is only one weapon that really does much against him - the boomerang. Unfortunately, you almost always lose the boomerang after a toss or two, 'cause you're also ducking, weaving, etc. to avoid the monster. So I'm of the opinion that this game is not 'winnable,' at least on MAME.

Remember that while everything else about MAME games is totally authentic and accurate, the controls on your keyboard (or even most game controller devices) don't faithfully replicate the same input means that were available on the cabinet (arcade) version. So there are definitely games that can't be completed, 'cause certain key combos just don't have the same level of precision as a joystick with multiple "degrees" or angles between say "up" and "left."

Interestingly, I've found that some keyboards seem to handle this better than others. There's a game called "Willow," based on the movie with Val Kilmer, that is not possible to complete on my current PC, as the keyboard just won't handle the up-and-left key combo necessary to reach a certain point in the second-to-last level. On my previous PC, the keyboard dealt with this fine, and I completed the game. But I'd say 95% of MAME games can be played without any problem, input-wise.

Ah, the good old time...

Heh I was in a couple of Amiga demo groups as well, back in the day. smile.gif

Ah, the good old time...

Heh I was in a couple of Amiga demo groups as well, back in the day. smile.gif

I remember the Amstrad, from early Byte mags and others... It was one of the first personal computers you didn't have to build yourself smile.gif I believe it was sold primarily in Europe.

I was doing technical support for software running on Kaypro, C64, Apple II, DOS, Atari ST and Amiga in the mid-'80s... talk about too many 'standards'!