• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay...FAIL!

532 posts in this topic

OK...here's a new scam enterprise to be aware of...not new to eVilBay but I think new to a boards expose...follow along...

lexerific sold a restored Avengers 4 for $810 that he purchased through one of his shill accounts aram321...you can search aram321 and see that he paid $445 for the book clearly identified as restored...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290341672303&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D290341672303%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

OK...

Now aram321 has just recently purchased a restored ASM 19 CGC 9.0...wait approx. 2-4 weeks and you will see this book (cracked out) appear in a lexerific auction, or perhaps another shill account as an unrestored raw, I'm guessing 9.2 or 9.4...caveat emptor...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330356420437&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This guy(s) needs to be taken down more than a peg...what a doosh-bag!

:boo:

I don't get how you linked the two names from two different books????

:gossip: matching IP addresses...

How do you look up IP addresses on ebay users? That's interesting.

:gossip: you send them emails and get replies...

Figured this is timely as well what with the counterfeit XM 94 thread as well...

OK...this guy's at it again...aram321 just recently purchased a restored 9.2 X-Men 94 and is re-selling the same X-Men 94 (cracked out) as a raw unrestored 9.4/9.6 under the Seller name cdpaoli (verified link to aram321) (I don't have the 9.2 sale link handy)...

http://cgi.ebay.com/X-Men-94-2nd-New-Team-Vol-1-NM-9-4-9-6-Very-High-Grade_W0QQitemZ220478950024QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335591ca88&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

:boo: :boo: :boo:

cdpaoli...a verified link to lexerific and makemeanofferandwin has the ASM 19 up for sale now with bids presently at $585...most likely the cracked out restored 19 purchased recently and now offered as an unrestored 9.4/9.6... :boo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazing-Spider-Man-19-High-Grade-NM-9-4-9-6-Vol-1_W0QQitemZ220481334831QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3355b62e2f

2z823dj.jpg

OK...interestingly shortly after I posted this thread and another friend and I have been tracking makemeanofferandwin, lexerific, aram321 and cdpaoli...aram321 purchased my FF 45 9.0 restored copy...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280402793265&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT

Now presently listed on eBay as 9.4 unrestored (cdpaoli)...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fantastic-Four-45-NM-9-4-High-Grade-Vol-1-1st-Inhumans_W0QQitemZ220489069051QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item33562c31fb

I contacted the seller and told him I would be reporting him tonite to eBay for fraudulent activity and received the following reply...

Dear architect54,

I did not purchase this on eBay from you or anyone else. What was the restoration? I bought this as 100% unrestored. I am not doing anything fraudulent.

- cdpaoli

Filed the following report with eBay tonite...

The first listing (entered above) is an item I sold (FF 45 CGC restored 9.0) purchased by aram321. The second listing (entered above) is the same item, removed from the CGC case and being sold as unrestored 9.4, clearly fraudulent activity. A friend and I have been tracking these accounts, they are all linked to the same person Narbeh Harutunian...eBay account names aram321, lexerific, makemeanofferandwin and cdpaoli. The Avengers 4 he has presently up for sale is also a recently purchased CGC restored item being put forth as unrestored. Check aram321 purchases they are almost always restored books to remove from the slabs and sell as unrestored. This guy is making a ton of money through criminal activity. Take a look at both FF 45s in the above listings, you will see they are the exact same books. This has been going on for some time now. I am considering reporting him to the local law enforcement authorities as well. Tom Moore

Here are the distinguishing features I wrote down about the FF 45 knowing this book would surface soon as an unrestored selling item...chk the scans and chk out #6 to seal the deal...add up all 6 for 6 and I GUARANTEE you this is the same book...not that it would take a Sherlock to figure it out...

Fantastic Four 45 CGC 9.0 restored

Distinguishing features:

1. Top staple exactly centered on POP ART.

2. Bottom staple starts exactly at seam between Thing’s index and middle finger…located exactly 1/8-inch inboard from spine and parallel.

3. Back pages exposed to view approx. 1/16” at top to approx. 3/32” at bottom.

4. Abrasion at bottom spine corner.

5. Slightly rounded bottom right corner.

6. Little “dot” just above Reed’s (4) Logo to the right.

Good detective work! Seriously I don't think Ebay will show that much concern. I have often though instead of constantly fixing parts of ebay that are not broken and spending time making changes that affect even honest sellers trying to make us all suffer for the misdeeds of a few, they should just invest in a few people like yourselves to police listings and take down the bad guys.

Every now and then someone makes and honest mistake as humans that is what we do. I have miscounted pages, missed restoration, or absentmindedly sent the wrong comic to the wrong buyer in a mix up. It is the out and out scam artists that need to be taken down. They are out defrauding people purposefully executing elaborate scams.

A few guys like you on a team for each catagory would solve a lot of problems.

Too bad not everyone can see these boards before they buy. Ebay has made it so you can't even warn a potential buyer via email.

Good detective work! Seriously I don't think Ebay will show that much concern. I have often though instead of constantly fixing parts of ebay that are not broken and spending time making changes that affect even honest sellers trying to make us all suffer for the misdeeds of a few, they should just invest in a few people like yourselves to police listings and take down the bad guys.

Every now and then someone makes and honest mistake as humans that is what we do. I have miscounted pages, missed restoration, or absentmindedly sent the wrong comic to the wrong buyer in a mix up. It is the out and out scam artists that need to be taken down. They are out defrauding people purposefully executing elaborate scams.

Too bad not everyone can see these boards before they buy. Ebay has made it so you can't even warn a potential buyer via email.

Exactly...and that is a big problem! :tonofbricks:

You know what is needed to combat ebays hostile attitude towards victims (both sellers and buyers) communicating to protecting each other is an external website that ebay users register on to help each other :idea:

Lets say you have one of those scrambled names as a bidder on ebay and you want to protect yourself and you hear about a new volunteer service created by users of ebay that will help you by distributing warnings about bad sellers ,or vise versa warning sellers about bad buyers by sharing our scrambled names and re-establishing our communication link between each others ebay ids.

You register on this help site identifying yourself by details so that your scrambled name can be identified and a volunteer on the site can use the ebay messaging to as an id system to pass a message and provide a conduit so that bad sellers and bad buyers can be identified and that info can be passed to good sellers and good buyers in a way that defeats the scrambled id system that ebay has in place..

That would work but the scrambled names are not always the same. I found this out when I went to check auctions I had bid on. The computer was still logged in on my hubby's ID. I knew my high bid and could see from Ebay that my "scrambled ID" was different for different acutions..

I don't know if that is the norm..

Yep the guy who got my husband for $900 could be selling left and right and we couldn't tell anyone who was bidding. Even mentioning an ongoing auction on Ebays own chat boards is not allowed.

It's interesting when really perusing a book for distinguishing DNA to that particular book versus other books...in this case I checked at least a dozen books, probably more, and the little red dot on Johnny Storm's face actually showed up 100% of the time...but NO OTHER book had the little dot above Reed's (4)...pretty cool...

:gossip: I sent the seller the scan of the CGC-ed book and haven't heard back yet...hope he has a sleepless night...he sold an X-Men 1 restored as unrestored recently for like $3K...this guy is making a ton of dough and if no one ever says anything this will just continue on...I am OFFICIALLY pizzed! :sumo:

Great work Tom. I've sent similar messages to Ebay about similar sellers and it was a month before I got a reply. Ebay's reply seemed confused and Ebay requested more information which I sent them. Ebay's followup was the standard "we are investigating and cannnot share the results with you :blahblah: ". Made me want to cry, hope you get better results.