• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay...FAIL!

532 posts in this topic

my god this thread fell to the eighth page!

why on earth would anyone split the book this way to take a picture? doh!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Thor-V-hercules-marvel-comic-treasury-3-Kirby-/200518165754?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eafd064fa#ht_3984wt_1251

It's cool that he did that, so that you can clearly see that it is not in the grade claimed :lol:

my god this thread fell to the eighth page!

why on earth would anyone split the book this way to take a picture? doh!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Thor-V-hercules-marvel-comic-treasury-3-Kirby-/200518165754?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eafd064fa#ht_3984wt_1251

So you can see the spine hasn't been split by someone folding flat like that, lol

Also, more to this thread. I see the other three just bought an FF#1 restored from Greg Reece.

I don't think Greg would have sold to them if he had known, but anyway it just happened last week.

I think it's likely to show up cracked out of slab and the trim will not be disclosed!

How can you tell who bought/won something on eBay?

Back when we started this thread and before about 30 pp. got purged, we explained that we had done quite a painstaking due diligence in matching IP addresses and then matching books...and you can match up the winning eBay bidders by their "hidden"/symbol bidder name, such as in this case a***m or whatever it is, going by memory...

Anyway, well-researched and documented the 4 ebay IDs are all working together...

Also, more to this thread. I see the other three just bought an FF#1 restored from Greg Reece.

I don't think Greg would have sold to them if he had known, but anyway it just happened last week.

I think it's likely to show up cracked out of slab and the trim will not be disclosed!

Don't forget as well they bought the ASM 1-500 or something like that, with the PLOD (I think it was raw though) ASM 1 from Adam/filter81 about 2-3 months ago...I have literally no time these days to check their auctions but keep your eyes peeled for a mid-grade raw ASM 1 being put forth as unrestored if it hasn't already happened... :boo:

And on a lighter note, here's an ebay seller attempting to unload his obvious Flashback reprint of Subby 1.

Admittedly, even though he doesn't mention it's a reprint and may be under the illusion that the book is actually worth a thousand dollars or more, he picked the book up a week earlier HERE for $26, where the seller makes it all too clear what the book is (it was on his feedback listing).

The seller has no previous FBs for selling, and said he bought the book "a few months ago". I love ebay. :luhv:

Lets see what he has to say to my nice message,even tho it has ended.....

Dear thegeneralee85,

Why would you list the sub mariner as real,when you bought it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380261455956

recently.Its right in your feedback left...and then highly regarded CGC Board members message you and ask if it real,and you reply "yes that is correct he was first introduced in 1940 the picture i took of it is at a odd angel it was on the shelf i was looking up at it for the picture thats why its hard to read it, if this helps the messurments of the book are 7 1/2 by 10 1/2" when you are specifically asked "Hello. I am very interested in this comic. This is the first issue from 1940, correct? I just want to make sure this is the real thing (and not a reprint) before I bid, as the picture is hard for me to see. Thanks!"

WTF is that dude? Your Ebay ID has been flagged by the CGC Board members,and forwarded on to comic collectors to AVOID as you are a scammer,and a pretty dumb or naive one at that...

- goldenrecordbuyer

Lets see what he has to say to my nice message,even tho it has ended.....

Dear thegeneralee85,

Why would you list the sub mariner as real,when you bought it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380261455956

recently.Its right in your feedback left...and then highly regarded CGC Board members message you and ask if it real,and you reply "yes that is correct he was first introduced in 1940 the picture i took of it is at a odd angel it was on the shelf i was looking up at it for the picture thats why its hard to read it, if this helps the messurments of the book are 7 1/2 by 10 1/2" when you are specifically asked "Hello. I am very interested in this comic. This is the first issue from 1940, correct? I just want to make sure this is the real thing (and not a reprint) before I bid, as the picture is hard for me to see. Thanks!"

WTF is that dude? Your Ebay ID has been flagged by the CGC Board members,and forwarded on to comic collectors to AVOID as you are a scammer,and a pretty dumb or naive one at that...

- goldenrecordbuyer

XLNT Scott! Appreciate the help for the cause! :headbang:

Hey guys- last night right after he told me it was legit, I sent him a reply:

"Hello. Thank you for the quick response, and for acknowledging that this is in fact the original. I guess my last question for you (before I bid $1,000.00 on this) is this: do you think I am stupid? You bought this on ebay 2 weeks ago, and it was plainly listed as a reprint. I sent that original email just to be sure you were a clown shoe. lol."

He took the item down and sent one more reply:

"you can burn in hell which I am sure you will so **** you"

personally, this response leaves me questioning his ethics and I am not sure I would do business with him at this point :)

Good stuff! lol

Hey guys- last night right after he told me it was legit, I sent him a reply:

"Hello. Thank you for the quick response, and for acknowledging that this is in fact the original. I guess my last question for you (before I bid $1,000.00 on this) is this: do you think I am stupid? You bought this on ebay 2 weeks ago, and it was plainly listed as a reprint. I sent that original email just to be sure you were a clown shoe. lol."

He took the item down and sent one more reply:

"you can burn in hell which I am sure you will so **** you"

personally, this response leaves me questioning his ethics and I am not sure I would do business with him at this point :)

Good stuff! lol

He knows what he's doing alright,it's amazing how little ethics and morality people have these days. :eyeroll:

Lexerific alert

Unfortunately I didn’t come across this blog until after I had won an auction of lexerific for a Showcase 22.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Showcase-22-Vol-1-Fine-5-5-1st-Green-Lantern-1959-/290448621129?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a0163e49

He has a nice little scam going that, thanks to you guys, I was able to mostly sidestep. I was able to get a refund but not for what I spent to get it CGCed. It came back CGC 4.0 Restored. I did give him a nice little negative on his feedback. (How come no one else leaves a negative?!!? When I bid, he had a 100% positive rating so I felt safe bidding.)

Frankly I’m still annoyed about it as he’s still out there conning unknowing people out of a decent amount of money.

He currently has a new auction going where he has clearly cracked out the Showcase 22 I sent back to him:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Showcase-22-Vol-1-Fine-5-5-1st-Green-Lantern-1959-/290467756407?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a13a3977

Note the little chunk missing along the spine near Green Lantern’s left shoulder. Same as from my auction. I also have scans I did right before I sent it to CGC and one with the PLOD if anyone is interested.