• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another gamble--what do you think?

14 posts in this topic

OK, I had pretty much sworn off buying big ticket books off ebay, given my perpetual disappointment with grading. That, and I don't see paying premium prices for slabbed books. But I couldn't pass up this one, especially given the Canuck dollars--seemed like even if it was a grade lower, I'd break even. What's everyone think? Click on the image--the larger pick gives some good detail

I saw that auction, mulled over the BIN, and reluctantly passed on by. I'm not a Conan collector, and I sell infrequently, so it had to be a pass.

Then again, any superhero key in that condition, and for the same relative amount, and I probably would have went for it.

I do like this line in his auction, do you think these guys dream this up:

The comic has *not* been graded by CGC, though I did inquire. Unfortunately, it would cost me about $80 to get an official grade (as there were no official graders near me),
893scratchchin-thumb.gifforeheadslap.gif

The comic has *not* been graded by CGC, though I did inquire. Unfortunately, it would cost me about $80 to get an official grade (as there were no official graders near me),

Very sensible. Those unofficial CGC graders aren't nearly as good.

Very sensible. Those unofficial CGC graders aren't nearly as good.

Wow, what a bunch of cynics. grin.gif

Seriously, like I said, I factored the risk of poor grading or slight damage into the price, considering the exchange rate. As for the CGC issue, my conversations with the guy after the sale only confirmed that he has been out of the hobby for a few years and just wasn't comfortable with sending it off to be slabbed, either from the perspective of cash or risking damage. We'll see. Even, if it's a full grade lower, I should break even.

The book looks really nice. Let us know when you'll get it.

grin.gifWell, it's nice to finally win one for a change. Got the book today and it's an easy 9.0-9.2. Nice pages, great cover reflectivity, nice spine, etc. A couple of very light stress marks around lower staple and two slightly rounded corners. A beautiful book. Unfortunately, Bachelor may have made an accurate call-the stress marks look fresh and I'm willing to bet they happened trying to slide the book into the tight, yet flimsy, mylar. Sad, but still well worth the price. Thanks for the opinions.